Hip Dysplasia ,i Don't Know What To Do...help

bridie

Bridie swimming would be the best exercise for her, and being so small that is easily remedied by filling a warm bath... by all means check with your vet but swimming has low impact on joints and her weight will not affect her in the water.

I suspect this will be what the vet will suggest,gees probably take me all day doing 20 laps.My sister has an inground pool but I know the brother-in-law would frown upon me even asking,not heated so no good this time of year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this will be what the vet will suggest,gees probably take me all day doing 20 laps.My sister has an inground pool but I know the brother-in-law would frown upon me even asking,not heated so no good this time of year.

From memory she may only need 5 mins swim. I think a 5 min swim is equivalent to about a 6km run for a dog. (Sorry it has been a while since I've been to the hydro pool and can't remember)

If she will let you you could hold her still in the bath while she uses her legs to paddle... My life would be sooooo much easier if James was small enough to just put in the bath!! it's the beach for us!!

Will do so t'morrow,look into the Hydrobath also,either way it will be quite an experience.....think I shall set up the tripod for the video,see who gets the wettest!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
bumping for Bridie to see.

I'm still here...... been under the radar.I was to do gentle walking with Bindie few weeks ago,not because of walking but her patella started clicking so I stopped the walks,was told too strenious for the water for her,any how against Drs orders i did the swimming for 15 minutes today,I have taken a lend of a vest which has a handle on the back which I should be able to hold when I put her in the bath everyday & she can paddle.In the bath with-out this is useless just fights to get out.Have to go on-line see if I can find a swimming jacket.Now.....she still has not lost any weight, :confused: still 4.5 kilo,having said this when I arrived at the Hydratherapy they were saying how much trimmer she looked.I have her only on 60 grams raw food,or a bone for any given meal,looks like it must still have to be less.No dry at all.Only yesterday I brought dry Diet to give her as a change,the diet has less protein,just wondering could she not only be getting too much in volume but protein,is it possible to have too much protein re weight issues,what is too much protein?? I have read too much can give kidney disease that's about all I know.

This is dissappointing,but looking forward to having the bath routine daily to have some weight loss & toning.I would be happy for her to lose even one kilo,I know she is over but she is also not a tiny framed dog like the other I have,Summar,she weights 2.5kilo,post photo of Summar for you to see what I really mean,& no I am not trying to make excuses for Bindie.

With the Glucosomine/Chondroiten MSA & Omego fish oil & Zeel has any-one been using this for a long time on their dog for HD or other & has there been proof that this works? Perhaps x-rays before hand and then 6 months later noting the changes?

Edited by bridie

bumping for Bridie to see.

I'm still here...... been under the radar.I was to do gentle walking with Bindie few weeks ago,not because of walking but her patella started clicking so I stopped the walks,was told too strenious for the water for her,any how against Drs orders i did the swimming for 15 minutes today,I have taken a lend of a vest which has a handle on the back which I should be able to hold when I put her in the bath everyday & she can paddle.In the bath with-out this is useless just fights to get out.Have to go on-line see if I can find a swimming jacket.Now.....she still has not lost any weight, :confused: still 4.5 kilo,having said this when I arrived at the Hydratherapy they were saying how much trimmer she looked.I have her only on 60 grams raw food,or a bone for any given meal,looks like it must still have to be less.No dry at all.Only yesterday I brought dry Diet to give her as a change,the diet has less protein,just wondering could she not only be getting too much in volume but protein,is it possible to have too much protein re weight issues,what is too much protein?? I have read too much can give kidney disease that's about all I know.

This is dissappointing,but looking forward to having the bath routine daily to have some weight loss & toning.I would be happy for her to lose even one kilo,I know she is over but she is also not a tiny framed dog like the other I have,Summar,she weights 2.5kilo,post photo of Summar for you to see what I really mean,& no I am not trying to make excuses for Bindie.

With the Glucosomine/Chondroiten MSA & Omego fish oil & Zeel has any-one been using this for a long time on their dog for HD or other & has there been proof that this works? Perhaps x-rays before hand and then 6 months later noting the changes?

Edited to add Summar but forget how or won't let me add image,buggar do t'morrow.

Change her onto hills science diet R/D Canine ,only feed her this no other treats,and to be honest I would only be giving her 1/4 C per day.... My 10kg cat lost 5 kg being only fed the cat R/D and was on 1/4 cup twice daily.

The other option is to give her Hills J/D great for her joints and if only fed 1/4 C a day the 4.5kg bag would last you ages.

Both these foods DO work if fed as I have suggested they cost around $70 for a 4.5kg bag but well worth it if it means no op. My old boy(RIP) who had very bad arthritis was put onto J/D and I was able to cut his daily pain killers down to half of what it was before he loved the food and he looked great !!

Time to get serious for her sake :confused: .....

J/D link

R/D link

ETA links :rofl:

Edited by sheree_e4

Change her onto hills science diet R/D Canine ,only feed her this no other treats,and to be honest I would only be giving her 1/4 C per day.... My 10kg cat lost 5 kg being only fed the cat R/D and was on 1/4 cup twice daily.

The other option is to give her Hills J/D great for her joints and if only fed 1/4 C a day the 4.5kg bag would last you ages.

Both these foods DO work if fed as I have suggested they cost around $70 for a 4.5kg bag but well worth it if it means no op. My old boy(RIP) who had very bad arthritis was put onto J/D and I was able to cut his daily pain killers down to half of what it was before he loved the food and he looked great !!

Time to get serious for her sake :drink: .....

J/D link

R/D link

ETA links :eek:

Time to get serious for her sake :) .....

J/D link

R/D link

ETA links :)

th_SUMMARS3GIRLS202.jpg?t=1279066295Thanks for the advice & support,this is Summar much lighter framed dog.Must be an easier way og doinf photos,I cut & pasted from photo bucket,forgotten how I use to do it!!!

with photos I just use the "Direct Link" code in photobucket and paste it in your reply :p your other dog looks fine :laugh:

If you feed your girl the R/D like I have suggested you may find that she needs to stay on it forever - this is the case with my cat....If this is the case with your girl given she has been diganosed with HD I would get her to her ideal weight on the R/D then swap her over to J/D and keep her on the same amount forever.... once she is ideal weight get a tin of the wet J/D and cut it into little cubes and dry it in the oven and use these as treats :laugh: but remember what treats you give her must come out of her daily food allowence.

Just remember the R/D and J/D is a concentrated food so to speak and if fed too much she will get the runs lol sorta like your concentrate dish liquid she will bubble over :)

She's put on weight!!! 2 months ago she weighed 4 kilos, now she's 4.5!!! You are obviously feeding her way too much. If you are serious about getting the weight off her you need to stop feeding her so much. Truly, if you'd cut her food down as you say you have, in 2 months she would definitely have lost weight, not put on half a kilo. :thumbsup: I am sorry, but whatever you are currently doing, it's wrong. I wish she could go to doggy fat camp.

Edited by Kirislin

with photos I just use the "Direct Link" code in photobucket and paste it in your reply :D your other dog looks fine :thumbsup:

If you feed your girl the R/D like I have suggested you may find that she needs to stay on it forever - this is the case with my cat....If this is the case with your girl given she has been diganosed with HD I would get her to her ideal weight on the R/D then swap her over to J/D and keep her on the same amount forever.... once she is ideal weight get a tin of the wet J/D and cut it into little cubes and dry it in the oven and use these as treats :rofl: but remember what treats you give her must come out of her daily food allowence.

Just remember the R/D and J/D is a concentrated food so to speak and if fed too much she will get the runs lol sorta like your concentrate dish liquid she will bubble over :o

See the 2 puppies colour coded with nail varnish,I couldn't tell the difference when weighing ,photos & videoing!

Yes,Summer does have no weight problems,it was just to point out the difference re much smaller framed dog than Bindie.

Bindie very rarely eats dry food,none now but when 3 vets had none of the Hills in stock I went to WW and spent an hour in the dog isle,looking & reading & came across only one Diet, in Purina called Super Coat Lite & Mature,17% protein& 7% fat,I haven't opened it "yet" as I would rather cut her portions back & keep on the raw which she enjoys.

Only treats she gets are twice weekly 1 small portion bone of Kangaroo tail,occasionly a piece of raw hide to give her some-thing to do....keeps her occupied.

The life jacket was no use in the bath,when I hold the handle and get her to paddle with my holding her up it seems to drag around her neck with her weight& makes her use her front legs but not her rear legs,worked better me holding her across the middle for the rear legs to work,mmm after 10 minutes session it was enough for my back,so will do 2 10 minutes.Perhaps she is not as abled to kick with rear in any-case.....at least it is exercise.

you can order Hills food online JD link online ordering

RD link online ordering

You are much better off with one of these, the WW brought food is not a premium food and is full of fillers and will not help her loose weight, they are designed for dogs who put on weight but are at their ideal weight already - more a maitence food.

Hills also have a money back guarentee :thumbsup:

Please listen to the info you have been given,and she will loose weight,Bones are a meal so that is all she should get nothing else that day.

You now have to be firm and not let her eat what she wants, If you find it too hard maybe look at boarding her for a couple of week and give them instructions on how much RD or JD to give her then when you get her back she will eat it no problems

Will try to find my Pix of my boy so you can see the difference the food makes.

Link aka Fat Cat Before and After hills RD :rofl:

LinkBeforeandafterHillsRD.jpg

Edited by sheree_e4