Ok, What The Heck Is This

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I cannot figure this out.

I've noticed that sometimes after he's been out eating dinner (and maybe at other times, only just really noticed) Noah 'appears' to have something in his ear. He shakes his head, rubs his face around, mostly just shakes his head and flattens ear. He got quite distressed this evening and yelped a frustrated bark at whatever it was while shaking his head vigorously. He gets sooky as well and worried.

Now a vet checked out his ears not long ago and they were clean as a whistle and I can't see anything myself.

It seems to go away, and now he's stretched out pretty happy, but I've noticed it happening a few times now.

Any ideas? Surely if it was something in his ear the vet would have seen it. His ear um, smells fine too.

Guest Tess32

I don't know really, I can't see back that far as he tries to keep his mouth shut. I could ask the vet to have a look. Why would it be back teeth?

Right now he was itching again but it was definitely directed at his ears.

Hi Tess, Could be something as simple as an ear infection?? Has he been swimming latley? When Cooper was younger, he only showed slight signs that he had a sore ear, just occasional head shake and no smell, it turned out to be not one but 2 perforated ear drums, and bad infections in both ears. It really shook me to discover and I felt so guilty but the vet said as he wasn't displaying any of the usual signs it was hard for me to know. Luckily I only took him to the vet on a whim and others thought I was being paranoid but I was convinced there was something wrong just didn't know what it was. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Edited by tlc

Guest Tess32

I will take him again but last time the vet looked and saw nothing wrong with his ears. Did the vet find the perforated ear drums easily (ie, just by looking down them?).

That would be the worst case scenario, They did have to put Cooper out to it to have a better look, you can imagine when I went in to pick him up and they told me, I was just like :confused: so shocked. They had to give him a general as when they tried to look in his ears they couldnt get near him, he just went nuts poor fella he must have been in so much pain. Trouble with Cooper was he must have a real high thresh hold for pain, he has also dislocated his toe one day and you wouldn't have thought that he had anything wrong with him. He just never complains, hes a tough nut!

Can you run a tissue around in the inside of his ear to see if his ear is dirty? thats usually a good indication of an infection as they get a build up of gunk. Don't do it if it stresses him out as it could be painful. How long ago did the vet look at his ears? An infection can come on reasonably quickly?

Are collies prone to ear infections, Im thinking not?? Is it possible he has a grass seed stuck? I know with my lot if one goes in, they do disappear so quickly. Just as an example we were walking one day and the dogs were off lead and all of a sudden Lacy had her head tilted to one side and was shaking it, I checked for a seed right away and nothing. I took her to the vet about 20 mins later as I was sure it was a seed and sure enough He dragged out a big grass seed from the middle of her ear, it had gone down so far and not visable, he had to use the eye thingy they use, and Lacy was so good she just sat on the table while he got the seed out. the second one she has had in her ear that they had got out while she was awake, she was so brave.

Guest Tess32

I wonder if it's not the eating, but the cold/moisture outside setting his ears off.

Oh well, hopefully another vet can look into it more, the other one wasn't my regular.

Guest Tess32

Turns out there is something wrong - at first the vet saw nothing as his ears are as clean as a whistle....but then he got another instrument and at a different angle saw the problem - a cyst like thing right near his ear drum. He can't tell if it's on or above the ear drum yet.

So he needs to go under a GA and have it drained/see what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tess32

The vet managed to get rid of the cyst but turns out his ear drum is 'deformed' to a degree and has been since birth. He said it looks almost like it is ruptured but it isn't, it's just not a normal eardrum.

Poor dog, he's still got a strange limp and gait too - you'd think he was a BYB.

On the plus side his ears are clean as a whistle so it was never an infection or anything like that.

The vet managed to get rid of the cyst but turns out his ear drum is 'deformed' to a degree and has been since birth. He said it looks almost like it is ruptured but it isn't, it's just not a normal eardrum.

Poor dog, he's still got a strange limp and gait too - you'd think he was a BYB.

On the plus side his ears are clean as a whistle so it was never an infection or anything like that.

Could the strang gait and limp have something to do with his ear, as the inner ear is connected with balance etc?

Could the strang gait and limp have something to do with his ear, as the inner ear is connected with balance etc?

i was thinking the same thing - could be due to the ear problem rather then unrelated, makes perfect sense to me ?

Guest Tess32

Not sure about the gait being related....doesn't look like an off balance thing. He never had an 'accident' as far as I know, but who knows when puppies do zoomies.

He seems better now, I haven't given him a bone to chew in a few days though, that will kinda show me if he's feeling better.

Ouch, it sounds painful.