Advice On Different Package To Desex Puppy

Nic have both his testes descended? if only one is down maybe thats why there is a higher quote

The vet haven't check his testicles yet. They just told me the price of different packages.

You can check this, if there is 2 then it will be a simple procedure and those prices are outrageous, if there is only 1 then wait it out and see if the second drops, if not then find out if the price covers this or if they will charge you extra to search for the second one

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very interesting - especially reading Stormie's replies of how much variation there can be!

When I had my dog done it went very well and he was well cared for and didn't appear to be in any pain when we took him home etc.

But I have been foster caring a few puppies and the rescue uses a different vet - and well I do have my concerns; especially now.

The fist dog I looked after post neutering seemed to be in quite a bit of pain. He couldn't sit down without yelping. We were given pain killers to give him for the next 5 days though - which is something my dog didn't get (not that he appeared to need them).

My next two foster puppies were sent there and I got home after dropping them off and got a phone call to say that one of them had died :D It was such a shock; she had not been a sickly pup at all.

then another puppy I fostered who had been desexed there had hard lumps of scar tissue on her scar.

So to the OP I would just say that I would be inclined to ditch a vet that has 'packages' but also I would be asking lots of questions of the Vet about the general protocol they carry out. Like the things stormie mentioned such as sedation and pain management, how they monitir the dog's vitals etc. Then that's probably what I would base my decision on :heart:

This is very interesting - especially reading Stormie's replies of how much variation there can be!

When I had my dog done it went very well and he was well cared for and didn't appear to be in any pain when we took him home etc.

But I have been foster caring a few puppies and the rescue uses a different vet - and well I do have my concerns; especially now.

The fist dog I looked after post neutering seemed to be in quite a bit of pain. He couldn't sit down without yelping. We were given pain killers to give him for the next 5 days though - which is something my dog didn't get (not that he appeared to need them).

My next two foster puppies were sent there and I got home after dropping them off and got a phone call to say that one of them had died :laugh: It was such a shock; she had not been a sickly pup at all.

then another puppy I fostered who had been desexed there had hard lumps of scar tissue on her scar.

So to the OP I would just say that I would be inclined to ditch a vet that has 'packages' but also I would be asking lots of questions of the Vet about the general protocol they carry out. Like the things stormie mentioned such as sedation and pain management, how they monitir the dog's vitals etc. Then that's probably what I would base my decision on :dancingelephant:

Thanks for all the replies. Thats why I love coming to DOL because I get a lot of suggestions and learnt a lot here! We are going to get pet insurance for Oreo and one of them covers desex and vaccination of $150 (80% of total price) each year. That will help me quite a bit also.

I am going to check out a few vets and see what they offer.

Nic,

Maybe if you give a general idea of which side of Melbourne you live (presuming you are in Melbourne) some-one may be able to recommend a vet.

I too would be wary of a vet that marketed packages.

I don't know if this is becoming common these days, but I hate it when vets have "packages" and "options" like this. I feel like I should be guilty for not picking the "best" (and most expensive) option.

Personally, the vet should just do what is appropriate and get on with it.

Agree,we have a vet chain here that is notorious for these package deals & over kill & if you question them my god do you get abused.

A good vet clinic doesnt do package deals as such they should be treating each dog based on breed or risks associated & going from there.

It shouldnt be like picking a holiday package

I personally wouldnt patronize these "vet chains" and give them the satisfaction of business, thats what keeps them going!

:dancingelephant:

I tend to concur....I think some vets offer services that are a little OTT in my opinion. That being said though, in breeds defined suseptible to having a genetic blood clotting abnormality a pre surgery clotting test is important.

Apart from the 'package' thing - I would NOT be desexing a male puppy at that age!!!! :rofl:

IMO it really is way too young as it does effect the growth of the boy bit, etc.

Do you really have to get it done so soon????

Edited by STITCH

We are to introduce some packages soon, but apart from bloods the options are not choices related to the surgery itself. The decision to do this was influenced by requests from owners. Our minimum standard includes a PCV/TPP, IV fluids, the surgery and surgical monitoring of blood pressure / O2 saturation / heart rate etc by a nurse, post op pain relief injection for 24 hours and 2 (or however many required) post op checks and overnight boarding if required / desired. The main option is whether or not a preanaesthetic blood test is run for liver and kidney function, but all patients get a very basic test run to check for dehydration / anaemia. The other options include pre/post op baths, full day of boarding any point in the post op period etc.

I don't know if this is becoming common these days, but I hate it when vets have "packages" and "options" like this. I feel like I should be guilty for not picking the "best" (and most expensive) option.

Personally, the vet should just do what is appropriate and get on with it.

Agree,we have a vet chain here that is notorious for these package deals & over kill & if you question them my god do you get abused.

A good vet clinic doesnt do package deals as such they should be treating each dog based on breed or risks associated & going from there.

It shouldnt be like picking a holiday package

I personally wouldnt patronize these "vet chains" and give them the satisfaction of business, thats what keeps them going!

:rofl:

Luckily my vets are charging a cheaper rate for any litters ie the puppies at 12 weeks of age with the vaccs, I guess it may be something you build up with your vet, I give mine lots of money!! so he looks after me ! lolol0oloolol

We are to introduce some packages soon, but apart from bloods the options are not choices related to the surgery itself. The decision to do this was influenced by requests from owners. Our minimum standard includes a PCV/TPP, IV fluids, the surgery and surgical monitoring of blood pressure / O2 saturation / heart rate etc by a nurse, post op pain relief injection for 24 hours and 2 (or however many required) post op checks and overnight boarding if required / desired. The main option is whether or not a preanaesthetic blood test is run for liver and kidney function, but all patients get a very basic test run to check for dehydration / anaemia. The other options include pre/post op baths, full day of boarding any point in the post op period etc.

yep this is what my vet said, it was client demand, and he is a great vet....

Nic,

Maybe if you give a general idea of which side of Melbourne you live (presuming you are in Melbourne) some-one may be able to recommend a vet.

I too would be wary of a vet that marketed packages.

I live in Glen Waverley which is quite close to Melbourne. Any good vet recommendations?

Thanks

Nic

Apart from the 'package' thing - I would NOT be desexing a male puppy at that age!!!! :rofl:

IMO it really is way too young as it does effect the growth of the boy bit, etc.

Do you really have to get it done so soon????

Nope I dont have to desex my boy at that age. What age would you recommend to me?

Thanks

Nic

IMO I desex a male dog if the testosterone 'surge' is too much for me (for a pet) or if I do not want to use him for breeding or before I rehome a show dog.

Otherwise, if he is not making a nuisance of himself for whatever reason which can be put down to being entire, probably about 12-18 months (again for a pet).

I have desexed some at around 5 years of age and found the result was perfect.

It is really whatever age suits you after they are physically mature.

http://www.ndn.org.au/

My female dog was desexed at approx 8 weeks of age - so far no ill effects and she's a year and eight months old now.

I think - and I am not a dog scientist - that desexing after maturity will make not much difference to a dog's behaviour (eg humping or marking).

My desexed female does neither though she will sniff where other dogs have been.

I think the package deals you've been offered are rip off, but I live in Adelaide where things tend to be cheaper than Vic.

I dunno, I still just don't see the need for the packages. Vets should be doing what they deem necessary to ensure the animal gets through the surgery and home to its owners. If a dog needs fluids during a surgery, its just done, same as if it needs any other drugs along the way and we take the cost. The way we see it, is it's all part of the surgery - not just the chopping and sewing, but keeping them alive and well under GA.

If an owner is unsure about a wound after surgery, they can come up 20 times a day for a week if they really want to, and they'll be seen for no charge, no questions, because it's our job to make sure the incision, which we made, is clean and healthy.

I just think having all these options has the potential to make things so complicated, and potentially creating build up in your waiting room. It's so much easier to admit patients when you just need to get the forms signed and do the basic checks, rather than discuss options and deal with people who want a bit from column a and a bit from column b. If they want to stay overnight, no worries - we encourage it and it's of no extra cost.

I know this is going to sound silly, but it does sadden me a bit seeing so many vets going this way. What happened to the community vet who just did whatever was needed for their clients and patients. It just all seems to be turning very commercial....

I dunno, I still just don't see the need for the packages. Vets should be doing what they deem necessary to ensure the animal gets through the surgery and home to its owners. If a dog needs fluids during a surgery, its just done, same as if it needs any other drugs along the way and we take the cost. The way we see it, is it's all part of the surgery - not just the chopping and sewing, but keeping them alive and well under GA.

If an owner is unsure about a wound after surgery, they can come up 20 times a day for a week if they really want to, and they'll be seen for no charge, no questions, because it's our job to make sure the incision, which we made, is clean and healthy.

I just think having all these options has the potential to make things so complicated, and potentially creating build up in your waiting room. It's so much easier to admit patients when you just need to get the forms signed and do the basic checks, rather than discuss options and deal with people who want a bit from column a and a bit from column b. If they want to stay overnight, no worries - we encourage it and it's of no extra cost.

I know this is going to sound silly, but it does sadden me a bit seeing so many vets going this way. What happened to the community vet who just did whatever was needed for their clients and patients. It just all seems to be turning very commercial....

Well said Stormie. It is the Vets job to decide what is needed, not the owners. Anything that is a necessary procedure should just be done and if it is not necessary it should not be offered.

http://www.ndn.org.au/

My female dog was desexed at approx 8 weeks of age - so far no ill effects and she's a year and eight months old now.

I think - and I am not a dog scientist - that desexing after maturity will make not much difference to a dog's behaviour (eg humping or marking).

My desexed female does neither though she will sniff where other dogs have been.

I think the package deals you've been offered are rip off, but I live in Adelaide where things tend to be cheaper than Vic.

+1 here mine at 10 weeks and had an eye out to 9 of her head not the other end!)

She is now eight years old and appears normal apart from only one eye!!!

:happydance2:

I think the profession needs to step up and focus on some generic business things like professional service and communication. It's not enough to just say 'we'll do everything', clients need to know what the options are, the difference between them and they need to make the decisions based on correct information. They need to know what the forms say. We need to dot the I's and cross T's and document everything. If people want a little of column A and little of column B, they can have it. If something is 'necessary' it no longer becomes optional (in an ideal world). Necessary means I will not proceed without it. Some things are highly desirable (such as blood work) in many situations but we are regularly put in situations where we have to get the best outcome we can within in a set $$ limit. Do we spend the money on our best guess treatment that might not work? Do we spend the money on diagnostic tests? Do we get some basic information to do some rule outs and then go with treatment? Vets makes the decisions about whether there is an option A, B and C and we are advocates for the welfare of the patients but we are not the one paying the bills. Clients need to know what the options are, what the benefit or risk of each is, the cost of each etc etc. It's not enough to just say 'most young dogs don't need a preanaesthetic test so we wont discuss them' because there will one day be the case where something DOES go wrong and it will probably happen to someone who said 'I didn't know I could have a test done'.....

Edited by Rappie