What Dog Should I Get

Newcomer

Hi there everyone,

My first time here so I hope my question isn't too silly. I have a 13 year old daughter who wants a dog but I have a teenage son who is allergic to many things (including cats, grasses etc). We have a small back garden but lots of parks nearby. My daughter wants a dog that will attach to her - sit with her, follow her round the house, happily go for walks preferably off-lead or curl up asleep on the couch with her. We have had a toy poodle that my son was OK with but this time my daughter wants something a little larger (I, however, want small). She has taken to the internet and wanted a Shiba Inu, Basenji or a Keeshond. My understanding is the Shiba Inu and Basenji are too 'lively' and the Keeshond seemed like a lot of work to keep it looking good. So, to the experts out there, what dog should we get? thanks for your help.

All those breeds she has suggested are Spitz breeds and therefore have a definite independant streak. Basenji's and Shiba's in my experience are not dogs that like cuddling up.

In terms of allergies, do you know if you son is allergic to dogs?

I would recommend Mini Poodles if you want bigger (love my good friend's two :rofl:) or also if she wants a bit more solid have a look at a Lagotto.

Hi there welcome to DOL

I don't know much about the breeds you are looking at but maybe the best idea might be to go along to a local show one weekend and watch the rings, see what kinds of breeds you like the look of and then go and speak to the owners/handlers about them ... there are breed specific threads in the forum too http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=51 that may help with your decision and a specific area http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=62 called Dogs101 which has a lot more information about specific breeds

Going for walks off lead is only safe if it is a designated off lead area (and even then depending on who else is around) or on private property ... you'll want a dog with good recall if you are planning on doing something like that...

Basenji's and Shiba's in my experience are not dogs that like cuddling up.
If my camera was working I would be happy to take a photo of a shiba who thinks he is a lap dog :rofl:

There are lots of variation within a breed. I have one energetic numb nut and one calm and smoochy. (Or was, but thats another story) Breeders know their dogs and can tell you if any fit the particular personality you are looking for.

You could easily go the Miniature Poodle. Or even a standard Poodle, although you'd need a fairly large couch to accommodate both of them.

I don't know if you have had allergy tests done with your son, but to my way of thinking, it would be better to go with what you already know works.

Daughter may just have to compromise on this one.

I had a Mini Poodel as a youngster - 17 I think when I got her - and she was just perfect. Instant recall - I could stop her in her tracks full bolt! :rofl:

And if she lost me, she would track me by smell. :)

Thye are so impressively intelligent.

My first reaction would be to say even if daughter wants the dog there is no guarantee it will do what she wants & if it doesnt will she still be happy ??

If it decides to prefer her brother over her how will she deal with that??

I was under the impression Shibas shed??

Keeshonds can be easy coat wise if the people who are owning it are committed to regular brushing.

I would gather you now your daughter best on how much brushing/walking & training she would seriously do.

Basenjis also shed .

Breeds considered more suitable are

Poodles

lagottos

portuguese watre dogs

Bedlingtons

Lowchen

Kerry Blue

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Shih Tzus

Lhaso

Havanese

Schnauzers

Although some people can react to the above breeds but not all.

All those breeds she has suggested are Spitz breeds and therefore have a definite independant streak. Basenji's and Shiba's in my experience are not dogs that like cuddling up.

In terms of allergies, do you know if you son is allergic to dogs?

I would recommend Mini Poodles if you want bigger (love my good friend's two :happydance2:) or also if she wants a bit more solid have a look at a Lagotto.

Or a Standard Poodle!

We got our second Australian Shepherd supposedly for my daughter when she was 14. She had the puppy in her room at night, snuggled in her bed, she took her to obedience training, played with her, loved her to bits.

The puppy took one look at me and decided that I was the best thing she'd ever laid eyes on and totally bonded to me in a way I've never had a dog attach before. She completely adores me. No matter that my daughter wants her to be her dog....the dog had other ideas!

Our first Aussie was supposed to be my dog. I feed him, train him, walk him, play with him, groom him....I've even competed in trials with him and titled him in endurance last year. But wherever my husband is, so is the dog. He would walk slowly over hot coals if it meant being by my husbands side.

So be aware, sometimes the dog chooses it's person, not the other way around.

My first question is - Are you prepared to look after the dog, groom it, walk and play with it when your daughter a) gets a boyfriend b) gets a job c) moves out of home?

If your daughter wants something a bit bigger than a toy poodle, that will follow her around and sit with her but still fits the low/no-shedding requirements, the a Lowchen might be the ticket.

BumBPash_0097.jpg

They come in heaps of colours, will go with whomever gives them the most attention, are active and robust but still trainable.

Of course it's best to get the whole family involved in the decision and make sure your son doesn't react to the coat of which ever breed you choose.

I got a Keeshond as a teen and she was a fantastic dog. :happydance2:

Dont let the coat put you off. We lived by the beach and she was pretty much wash and wear (with a bit of regular brushing).

She was a sweet, happy dog who was no trouble whatsoever and was wonderful to cuddle up to.

Though she was a spitz, I don't recall her being hard to train (and back then I was completely clueless), and while she wasn't a velcro dog, she always happy to just be around us.

Lovely breed! :cheers:

Just thinking the OP mentioned that looking after a Keeshond coat looked like a lot of work (and therefore I got the impression wasn't too keen on lots of grooming). So the poodle may be out, although they would be my recommendation for your situation but be prepared to learn to groom them or the cost of sending them to the groomer.

I also just want to add that you should be making part of the choice dependent on what YOU want in a dog. As your daughter gets older things like boyfriends, friends, shopping, going out, parties, school work, etc. are all going to become much higher on the priority list than looking after the dog. The parents often end up looking after their parents pets.

Also part of what you mentioned eg daughter wanting dog to follow her around, be walked off lead etc. is very dependent on the training the dog recieved. Is your daughter happy to do this on an ongoing basis?

I think its great that she wants a dog but recommend that you as the parent make sure she is fully aware of the responsibilities that having a dog includes.

Good luck with your selection!

A mini poodle or mini schnauzer would be great if you gave them a brush every few days and took them to the groomers for clipping.

Both are very loyal to thei owners. My mini schnauzers like other people but they have only eyes (and hearts) for me!

Or a Standard Poodle!

Except they don't leave much room on the couch :D And the OP would prefer a smaller dog so I would think a Mini would be a good compromise (bigger than toy but not too big :laugh: )

That's what I wanted in a dog when I was 13. :laugh: My parents got me a Pembroke Corgi. She was everything I dreamed of and was the perfect first dog for me. She was ALWAYS with me when she could be. She was fine off leash with next to no recall training. That coat might be a problem for your son, though?

Or a Standard Poodle!

Except they don't leave much room on the couch :D And the OP would prefer a smaller dog so I would think a Mini would be a good compromise (bigger than toy but not too big :laugh: )

People have been known to go to greater lengths than just a new couch to accommodate their dog, tho. ;)

Seriously tho, even Miniature Poodles vary in size, depending on the line and their place in the pecking order, nutrition etc. Generally speaking, the males are usually larger than the females, too.

Or a Standard Poodle!

Except they don't leave much room on the couch :rofl: And the OP would prefer a smaller dog so I would think a Mini would be a good compromise (bigger than toy but not too big :rofl: )

I don't have any problem with my Standards getting on the couch - they're usually on the bed :rofl:

Oh Newcomer your daughter wants a little companion dog..have a look at the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel..bred to be a lap and constant companion dog and thats what they still do and excell at it. Not too small to be delicate and have an easy care not too long softly waving coat...excellent little dogs for your daughter..Ill post a pic of the pup that coming to me in late June .. Star...

Five weeks old here with a littermate in the background...research this endearing breed and Im sure youll be impressed.

IMGP1593TwinkleLittleStar.jpg

Edited by Liebhunde