Dogs Attack Camel Train At Broome

Sue & Waldo

Pit bulls attack camel train

Updated 2 hours 35 minutes ago

ABC Newslonline

A tourist has suspected spinal and wrist injuries after being thrown off her camel in the dog attack (ABC)

Two pit bull cross dogs attacked a camel train at the weekend as it carried tourists along Broome's Cable Beach, leaving one woman and five camels injured.

The Broome Shire said the dogs were not on leashes when they attacked the camels on Saturday evening.

As the dogs attacked, an Eastern States tourist was thrown off her animal and had to be taken to hospital with suspected spinal and wrist injures.

Five camels were left with deep bite marks to their legs.

Camel tour operator Samantha Cousins was leading the camel train when the dogs attacked and said it was distressing for everyone involved.

"I'm just thankful that more people didn't come off the camels," she said.

"I know it has happened in the past and I think it's something where the Shire, the camel operators and the locals with dogs need to work together to ensure that it never happens again."

Shire Ranger Craig Burgess arrived at the scene minutes after the attack.

"It would be a very scary situation to be in, trying to control a line of camels with customers on the back, with dogs hassling the camels," he said.

"It would be a pretty full-on thing to go through. The [camel] owners were visibly upset and a couple of people who were on the camels were upset too."

Dogs are supposed to be kept under control at all times on Cable Beach.

The Shire is investigating before deciding if there will be a penalty for the dog owners.

WHat an awful thing to happen. Those poor Camels. How well behaved are they not to ditch their riders and bolt.

They obviously didn't kick too much either, Camels have a deadly accurate aim.

Hope the Lady with the injuries is okay - how terrifying. The owners of the camles will be beside themsleves.

I hope the owners of the dogs are dealt with severely

!!! How awful :) It's not as if the camels are something strange at Cable beach....

The Shire is investigating before deciding if there will be a penalty for the dog owners.

What is there to investigate, I wonder?

Edited by persephone

!!! How awful :) It's not as if the camels are something strange at Cable beach....

What is there to investigate, I wonder?

Whether or not there ARE owners, I suppose and just terminology or not expressing it all very well.

My sympathies to the camels, the owners and the riders. It would have been terrifying - you are pretty high up when you are on a camel :o:)

It is a testament to how well they were trained, my camels will chase and kick neighbours dogs if they come into my yard. For them to not at least try to bolt under such an attack suprises me. Poor babies and I bet those tourists were absolutely terrified

Apparently the dogs were with their owners. Obviously major f---wits as the camel drivers asked them to get their dogs on a lead and they ignored them.

Council is considering if they did anything wrong. It seems very obvious to me? Dogs should be euthanased. As for their owners, well ..... they should receive massive fines and pay the vet bills as well.

Not good enough - shouldn't have happened and people and their pets/other animals need to be protected from people like this. They may well have attacked other dogs if they are that vicious.

Edited by dogmad

Apparently the dogs were with their owners. Obviously major f---wits as the camel drivers asked them to get their dogs on a lead and they ignored them.

Council is considering if they did anything wrong. It seems very obvious to me? Dogs should be euthanased. As for their owners, well ..... they should receive massive fines and pay the vet bills as well.

Not good enough - shouldn't have happened and people and their pets/other animals need to be protected from people like this. They may well have attacked other dogs if they are that vicious.

If this all true I agree esp as its said dogs were with owners and they were told to leash them. Poor camels, tourist and operators all will have mantal scars for life. dogs will be paying for something owners could of prevented

Follow Up Story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/27/2911251.htm

Pitbull owners fined over camel attack

The dogs attacked as the camels were carrying 30 tourists along the beach last Saturday.

Two people have been fined a total of $500 over an incident in which two pitbulls attacked a camel train in Broome.

The dogs attacked as the camels were carrying 30 tourists along the beach last Saturday.

A Melbourne tourist was thrown off her camel and suffered a fractured wrist.

The Shire of Broome issued $500 worth of infringements to the dog's owner and a friend who was walking the dogs at the time.

A notice has also been served to the dogs' owner that one of the animals is dangerous and must be muzzled in public.