**urgent** Old Dog Needs A Home Asap

Hey all posting here for better sight.

A little Chi X JRT (about Chi size) Boy named SAMPSON, came into TAFE yesterday for a vet check and vaccination. The Vet noticed his teeth were in really bad shape and he would need several extractions very soon and booked him in for the procedure on Tuesday.

The little guy came in for a bath today as well and when we asked the owner about the procedure and was she ok about the cost - approx $400

She stated i will just put him down... The whole class froze... She said well he is male aggressive and old so why bother nobody likes him anyway... He is suffereing so isnt it the vet's job to stop his pain and put him to sleep??

We replied with.. he isnt in any pain so he isnt suffereing - have you considered rehomeing or dropping him at a shelter? She said he isnt house trained so i wouldnt want to burden another family with him so i will just put him to sleep...

We talked her around and she will now consider rehomeing him and has given us her details and the vet clinic has agreed to let us know if she books him in to be done.

I am sadly unable to take the little guy on and fear that if i drop him at a shelter he will be put to sleep anyway :stupid: If ANYONE is able to help me find this sweet man a home Pls let me know ASAP.

Doggy details:

WILL NEED TEETH WORK VERY SOON - QUOTED $400We have only spoken to one vet about costs so it may be cheaper elsewhere

Male

Chi X JRT

he is about the size of a Chi but JRT markings

15 yrs old - i know this will be a problem :S

Aggressive to some males

Quiet little guy - sweet hearted, but will need some work and time to readjust, i nearly took him on the spot he is a perfect lap dog and loves his cuddles :eat:

Pls ask if i missed some details you need to know

If you know someone that might be able to take him on then please PM me and i will give you my details :)

Edited by kirst_goldens

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kirst - I'm in no position to take him in either. Poor little tyke. For the want of a few teeth you'd think this senior would deserve to be cared for until his real time was nigh. Sounds like an older person would enjoy his company and most likely he would enjoy theirs for the last few years of his life. Some people just don't cherish the 'aged' (dogs or people). I love 'old'. They know so much and have 'seen' life.

Would it be so bad if he was kindly euth'd?

A dog aggressive, toy breed who wees and poos inside and in need of a dental when there are so many other dogs in need. :(

I don't feel it's professional or fair to try to talk clients out of euthanising their pet. I hope this poor old dog isn't going to languish in some pound now. :eek:

Edited by Clyde

He isn't bad with other dogs that i know of and his male aggression wasnt so bad the vet that handled him was a male and the little guy lives with males - whom i think may be the cause of his problems

He is a good little guy in good health other then his teeth, i am trying not to have him in a pound but dont have anyone to take him RIGHT now, i know he will may turn out to be another little guy stuck in the ound but hey i can only try and to steal a quote from another thread - If i try and loose then i have done what i could

:( but if i dont try at all i have already lost - sounded better in the other thread lol cant remember the wording hahaha

But yeh basically i would rather try and fail then to just shug and accept that i can't do anything to help :eek:

If everyone shrugged we wouldn't have our beloved dogs and cats we got at a shelter

ETA: House training isnt so hard and he was in a very large cage all day and never had an accident he toileted outside when he was walked, so he has the basic down LOL

Edited by kirst_goldens

A dog aggressive, toy breed who wees and poos inside and in need of a dental when there are so many other dogs in need. :(

I don't feel it's professional or fair to try to talk clients out of euthanising their pet. I hope this poor old dog isn't going to languish in some pound now. :eek:

Sorry but I agree with these comments. There are so many young healthy dogs pts for lack of a home. This dog has had 15 years and it is up to the owner to decide if a dog with problems should be euthanised. How much longer do you really think he will have?

I think it is really unfair to expect anyone to take on an old dog. I know there are some saints out there that will do it but old dogs usually need much more care and cost far more in vet bills in their last couple of years than they did in the rest of their lives. I do not begrudge spending up on oldies that have been with me for all or most of their lives but would never take on someone else's old dog.

Maybe working for a shelter at one time has made me think in more practical terms, but any available homes should be for those dogs that still have lots to offer and many healthy years ahead of them. There is no point in keeping a dog alive just for the sake of keeping it alive. Quality of life is what counts and I would think that many owners would opt to euthanise rather than give a 15 year old dog a GA to have it's teeth done. Any procedure involving a GA is very risky for any dog that old.

Sorry but I agree with these comments. There are so many young healthy dogs pts for lack of a home. This dog has had 15 years and it is up to the owner to decide if a dog with problems should be euthanised. How much longer do you really think he will have? think it is really unfair to expect anyone to take on an old dog. ...

I probably need to get into rescue to harden up to practicalities a bit.

But what difference if the owner had chosen to keep her oldie? If there's someone out there that might like to have this little guy (no one is "expecting" anyone to take him on - I just see it as giving him a chance, if someone would like to), he's still taking up the same air space as he is now. I don't think I could come to grips with a "you're old - move over to make room" attitude, as practical as that might be. As I said - I'm not involved in rescue so I only hear of some of the hardships and heartbreaks, I don't live them as part of what I do on a daily basis. What I hear and what I do see, as infrequent by comparison to you rescue guys (hats off to you), is enough and more than I'd like.

ETA: I came back in to add that on reflection what I wrote might have sounded harsh to all our rescuers out there. I know that you have the younger, healthier dogs at your heart.

Edited by Erny

I agree with Greytmate, re-home an older dog, especially with health problems can be difficult. I believe you are trying to do the right thing by saving this little guy but it might take some serious searching to find him a new home. This could be rather stressful for the dog, especially at 15 years old. Would the lady consider keeping him if his vet bills are paid?

Another place to try is Rescued with Love. They deal with lots of oldies :( . I'd love to help, but I have recently taken on two oldies to save them from being killed in the pound.

I'm with you Kirst-Goldens. The little guy is probably fine and maybe his only problem was his dreadful owner.

but if i dont try at all i have already lost
A lot of people would find this hard to understand.

Please let us know how Sampson fares.

Signing off before I get a warning. :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, this is how I was feeling reading this.

I mean, hell yes, it is sad... but I personally would never suggest someone just dump their dog at a pound. I have a fearful dog that wouldn't pass a temp test anywhere, despite the work I do and continue to do with her. I cannot imagine having to have her pts prematurely at all ever but I'd rather that than let her suffer her last days in the pound.

I don't think it's professional either and for TAFE students to suggest that the owner surrender the dog or take it to a shelter is just as bad.

Is he desexed? Is all his other vet work up to date?

I admire the good people who would take him on, but for a 15yo I think the owner's decision should be respected. Easy for me to say because I haven't met him, he's just a concept on the internet, but older dogs often end up in pounds and rescue, and usually the discussion is about how the owner should have had the guts to just front up to the vet to pts rather than putting the dog through a traumatic experience with strangers.

Edited by Katdogs

Sorry, This OLD dog who needs a GA to have rotten teeth done-who is not housetrained, and who may well be aggressive toward males..is not a dog I would recommend for an elderly person. :)

I would also not be keen to rehome him at all... poor old man. let him drift off peacefully without disrupting his life anymore .....

Assaid there are so many younger dogs , housetrained dogs ....

Did you state he's aggressive? Aggressive dogs shouldn't be re-homed.

He isn't bad with other dogs that i know of and his male aggression wasnt so bad the vet that handled him was a male and the little guy lives with males - whom i think may be the cause of his problems

I personaly believe he should be behaviour assessed first.

It's easy to go with the heart instead of the mind sometimes.

It's about Rescue Ethics and aggressive dogs should not be re-homed when there are thousands of well temperamented dogs in need of homes. Some Rescuers let their emotions rule and if they're not a qualified Behaviourist I believe that to be dangerous regardless of the size of the dog and that's why I pts my last foster, completely irresponsible to rehome an aggressive dog.

If he wasn't aggressive and had a nice temperament I would be happy to assist.

To the OP: Meh, I just read the dog is 15 so he probably can't even have GA and he has these other issues *shakes head* I don't know why you would guilt the owner into surrendering....let her put her dog to sleep whilst she holds it and says good bye. A 15 year old dog should never ever be in a pound.

Edited by sas

I personaly believe he should be behaviour assessed first.

Erny :

It's about Rescue Ethics and aggressive dogs should not be re-homed when there are thousands of well temperamented dogs in need of homes. Some Rescuers let their emotions rule and if they're not a qualified Behaviourist I believe that to be dangerous regardless of the size of the dog.

Sas :

To me the dogs age is irrelevant if it is pretty health and not aggressive, it'll get a home, may take a while in foster care but the old ones do get homes too. If he wasn't aggressive and had a nice temperament I would be happy to assist.

Yeah - I'm tending to agree with you Sas. I think my earlier post, I was 'bouncing' off the "he's old; should make room for younger, better dogs" comments and forgetting the rest. I still think the guy deserves a chance. Definitely a temp test to 'prove' or disprove what the owner is saying. If the owner really doesn't want him and if the little guy stands a chance at a nice home for the last couple of years of his senior life, then I think he should have that chance, all other things being well (and his teeth getting fixed).

I can never bring myself to say "pts" as the better alternative without meeting a dog and seeing it for myself, either.

Edited by Erny