Dog Boots

Luvmy4

For those that use them for dogs that live on rocky rough terrain how nessarry are they? I've been thinking of going on long walks and taking my staffy its a rocky property i've seen dog's who have been on tar roads and hurt their paws. Are they good?

Edited by Luvmy4

Hey Luvmy - I have wondered about this as I live in a rural area and do a lot of long walks on rocky/gravelly roads and rough terrain. It's not as rocky as you may be referring to, but I have worried about their paws occassionally. Cal does seem to try and keep to smoother areas if possible, but Finn doesn't even notice and neither seem bothered :(

i have just bought a pair from "canine spirit" on line, they have different ones, and are very helpful, i sent my order in, and they rang me, as they thought the size i had picked was too big, turns out they were right :(

my bully gets spilt paws, so i bought the softer ones, they are easy to pull on, and velcro up. :D

I have got Ruff Wear boots for my girl. They are very good quality but I found she would throw one off every now and then. Too expensive to lose. It also pays to put baby sock on first to stop rubbing.

If you dont get boots just break your dog in slowly to hard surfaces until their feet harden up and check for cuts etc after walks.

mine are ruffwear too, ,they were the cheapest place to buy them from, i was going to get the tough ones, but the ones i bought are fine, like trainers, but softer and they go up the leg more.

mine are ruffwear too, ,they were the cheapest place to buy them from, i was going to get the tough ones, but the ones i bought are fine, like trainers, but softer and they go up the leg more.

where did you get them from please?

and what style did you get?

ty

online from "canine spirit", i bought a pair of "skyliner " ones, you can't see from the pic, but they have a tough sole on the bottom, like a trainer, and they go a bit further up than the other ones, and are softer around the front.

they also sell the socks for inside.

Edited by juice

online from "canine spirit", i bought a pair of "skyliner " ones, you can't see from the pic, but they have a tough sole on the bottom, like a trainer, and they go a bit further up than the other ones, and are softer around the front.

they also sell the socks for inside.

ty, my dog has contact allergies and i think these will help her out.

when i first put them on, mase just stood there :rolleyes:

so i just did one at a time, he has got used to wearing one, so will be putting the other front one on this week aswell.

What are your dog's pads like? Ours run on all sorts of stuff and I've never had a problem. They also cope well with long walks on all sorts of surfaces.

I guess I would observe the dog - if they exhibit discomfort on the surface or you have real extremes of heat or cold then maybe use the boots? Ours OTOH can slide in gravel, run over rocky and prickly ground, have accidentally walked over glass etc and have never had an issue. Booties for me are a little like some other things we do for dogs these days - useful if the dog truly needs it, but if they don't, let's not forget their ancestors coped without booties/cool coats/whatever for thousands of years.