Tough, Fun Toys For Dogs

Snout Girl

Hi all

the recent thread about whether or not dog toys are worth it raised a question of my own.

we buy dog toys from the $2 shop but they only last 5 minutes as Sally destroys them! ;)

does anyone have any suggestions of fun, TOUGH toys for dogs? we have a kong for her and she loves that but we are looking for something different.

c'mon, I cant be the only one out there with a destructo dog! :)

we do buy stuffed toys from the op shops but they last about a minute and a half as well!

Any suggestions welcome!

honesly raz doesnt get to keep any toys anymore...he destroys everything, so once we have finished playing i put it away so he cant destroy it...he does have a couple of toys he keeps outside and i do up chewy things for him to have something to do...but nothing lasts long with raz :/ he does have a tug type thing from http://aussiedog.com.au/index.php?main_pag...&cPath=1_20 its lasted quite a while and he loves it..i might buy some more toys from that website when i have some spare cash

Aussie Dog Toys and Kongs are the only toys that last here. Oh and a Basket Ball (full sized) with tug ropes on the end. That has copped quite a beating.

Hector has a couple that he is allowed to play with when Maverick isn't around.

Otherwise Maverick walks around and gathers them all up and starts destroying them ;)

Oh oh oh and Cuz toys! They last quite some time! :)

Edited by MavericksMission

Best things ive found are pumped up soccer balls, makes it harder for them to bite and puncture it. Old jeans and pants, tie knots in the legs and cut them to size, perfect bite surface for tug o war aswell.

Cant go past a tennis ball, old footys.

Traffic cones are great aswell.

Edited by APBT

We had a bungee rope hanging from a tree for our Stafford which lasted about 12 months.

The only other thing that has survived is their kong. We have tried pumping up soccer balls and basket balls but they are popped pretty much straight away. They still play with them flat though.

Even the trees dont last :)http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=197243

Foot balls last over 12 months here, Kmart $20, pump them up only half way and they love running around.

The staffy ball is still going strong, lion's can't destroy them, I think they are about $70, but shop around.

We have the cuz type (bad cuz, dinosaur) and tough toys JW Pet Hol-EE roller balls that are fantastic and our 2 can't get too destructive with them.

They've had their fair share of $2 toys :thumbsup:

I have the large cuz for my 2 gsd. they've lasted over 7 months. That's pretty impressive with my 2. lol. they no longer float in the pool as well as they used to due to teeth holes but they are still in one piece.

an eg of the ones i buy

toy1

this one is brilliant.

toy2

Edited by Kayne's Mum

Toughie toys...

I have gary the gator (about $40ish) and larry the lobster ($40ish). They are strong soft toys...

Gary is almost fit to be thrown out but he is well over a year old now.

Larry has a broken claw but is still going strong.

I think if you look at dogtoys.com.au you should be able to find them.

ETA - Cuz toys only last a day or two at most at my place.

Edited by Slushie

We have one of the Home along dog toys - think it was about $90 when we bought it - the kelpie loves it - I want some of those with no stuffing in them - I hate picking up white fluff!!

I really like the idea of that Home Alone dangling ball dog toy but it's just so expensive ... :thumbsup: Our kelpie would love it, though I'm sure ...

Hi all

the recent thread about whether or not dog toys are worth it raised a question of my own.

we buy dog toys from the $2 shop but they only last 5 minutes as Sally destroys them! :thumbsup:

does anyone have any suggestions of fun, TOUGH toys for dogs? we have a kong for her and she loves that but we are looking for something different.

c'mon, I cant be the only one out there with a destructo dog! :thumbsup:

we do buy stuffed toys from the op shops but they last about a minute and a half as well!

Any suggestions welcome!

Toys from OP shops if they are kids toys are not suitable for dogs, i read a story in a forum once ( Not sure if here ) where kids toys have certain chemicals in them to avoid germs ( Or whatever ) and whena dog injests them they can cause all sorts of problems, kids toys are not meant for Dogs, If i can find the article i will post it for you, But iam sure someone will 'pipe' up and say something.

PS Dog toys are worth it as one or two members mentioned how would you like to just sit there all day wil nothing to occupy your mind.

If you have the Money or like to spoil your dog/s the 'Nina Ottoson' Toys are fantastic, obviously you would be with your dog and not leave them unattended with these toys, also the tuffy toys are good ( i think anyway ), there is plenty out there you just need to 'google' and ask.

Personally i think the Aussie dog toys are very over priced but i have'nt used them so can't comment as they may be the best out there.

Another one we have is the fleecy clean indoor ball we find this great and harder to destroy.

Good Luck

Wow, $112 for this. It's a great idea but I wonder if I can find a cheaper version somewhere!!

my Rottie has one of those and it's one of her favourite toys. I was reluctant to spend that sort of money but it was definitely worth it. They are fantastic for dogs that like to jump up and chew (such as stealing washing off the line). My girl doesn't do anything like that but she'll spend ages out there playing with it. I also have a few of the other Aussie Dog toys and they really are strong. I recently bought some "toughies' toys, they are very good, but if your dog is going to play tug with another dog, don't get the toys with ears. The ear rips very easily when pulled on and pretty much destroys the toy. The ring toys they have are fantastic though. Mine also love soccer balls with ropes on them and rope toys in general are pretty good. You can also get hard plastic bone shaped chew things that are flavoured, they all seem to love those and as long as you get one big enough they don't destroy it for a very long time.

We have one of the Home along dog toys - think it was about $90 when we bought it - the kelpie loves it - I want some of those with no stuffing in them - I hate picking up white fluff!!

I really like the idea of that Home Alone dangling ball dog toy but it's just so expensive ... :eat: Our kelpie would love it, though I'm sure ...

I'm telling you, it is the best toy for dogs that like to tug at things.

post-34378-1275301235_thumb.jpg

Aussie Dog toys are good - the tuckerball is a favourite here. I like it as Riley still plays for it even when theres no food in it (because of the marble in it that still rolls around)

My guys love the buddy bones and tug a jugs, also found the orbie (sp?) ball that K9 Force sells to last a long time!

Thats good news about the orbee - I was thinking of getting one for my cousins staffy that likes to destroy most things!

$2 at any supermarket or fruit shop - a coconut!! my dogs love them, they do break them after a while then they eat the insides. Sometimes if we get a big one we have to take it off our staffy X boy as it drives him crazy beacuse he can't pick it up, so he pushes it around the yard yelping, barking and crying at it, I don't think the neighbours would like his noise :eat:

My guys also get all the old balls from work, everything from tennis balls to basketballs and footballs.