Seeking Advice On Selecting A Puppy

Lambo

If you really want a wei, have a look at the long hair's. While not always the case, they tend to be a bit more laid back than their short coated cousins. They still need to run, play, do zoomies and what not, but I think they are a little easier to handle. Having said that, I've never owned a short coat. Besides that, the long hairs are much better looking :rofl:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now, I think my list is starting to look like this (in order of preference):

1. Weimaraner

2. Border Collie

3. Labrador

4. Staffy

5. Whippet (still chewing on this one).

The Collie probably just beats the Lab at this stage.

Once I settle on my final list, how do I go about checking out the dogs in the flesh? I know people have suggested going to dog shows and speaking to breeders, but I'm not familiar with the dog circle - how exactly do you locate upcoming dog shows? Does it cost anything to turn up to one? What about breeders, do they get narky if you just turn out to be a tyre kicker

I posted a link to the Qld show schedules on page 9 post #123. No cost to go and watch, just don't talk to the exhibitors while they are preparing to enter the ring. Better to catch them when they are relaxed and sitting around their gazebo's and crates.

I am surprised at your "revised" top 5 - none of which have been recommended for your situation, except the whippet. All highly active and intelligent (read: easily bored leading to high potential to be destructive) breeds. You seem very determined to stick with breeds based on looks alone, despite asking for suggestions. I sure hope your wife is more patient and flexible than you suggest she is.

Edited by badboyz

Hi Lambo,

I have a 4 months old BC pup here and to tell you the truth, its hard raising him. Now, I have worked out how much physical and mental stimulation my boy need. He needs 2 x 30mins of walk, 1 hour of training and 1 hour of play time with me(he plays on his own which I didn't include in this time) each day. He spends the rest of the time playing with his Kong or Chew toys. There was once I left him at home for 5 hours because of something important and I came home to total disaster. I left him in the kitchen with his toys and water. The leg of my dining chair chewed, he pulled out the puppy food from the pantry and had a feast (he found a way to open the pantry door), and the kitchen was in a mess. He don't usually bark but he will bark if he has not received enough mental stimulation and I leave him alone. He pulled down the pet tent I bought for him in 1 week. After that, once I put him in, he will pull the pet tent down and escape (he will look at me with the "I'm so clever" look :rofl:). If you work long hours, BC might not be for you.

But, there is always the good side to everything. He learns rules and new tricks really fast (usually within 3-4 10mins training session), my boy is so beautiful! (I am biased :() and he is friendly to everyone and dog(so far, there is no one that he dislikes).

Hope you get a great breed choice!

Right now, I think my list is starting to look like this (in order of preference):

1. Weimaraner

2. Border Collie

3. Labrador

4. Staffy

5. Whippet (still chewing on this one).

You really need to cross the Staffy off your list. Getting a Staffy with the restrictions you have will turn you off dogs for life. ( unless you patient enough to realise they are the best dogs ever, but I dont think you are)

A Staffy left alone for an extended period will:

- Chew walls

- Rip up carpet

- Chew door frames

- Rip up lino

- Chew doors

- Chew anything wooded, not wooden, electrical cords

I had all of the above happen in the first 6 months.

There are shows at King Ave, Durack this weekend, 5th and 6th. Next weekend 13th and the public holiday Monday 14th. All start from 8.30/9am. I suggest you go along and have a look at the breeds in your top 5 and see if you can talk to some of the breeders there.

it definitely won't be allowed to sit on beds or wander into the bedrooms.

I wouldn't mind a smaller dog (like a beagle or a King Charles Cav) - or even a Westie -

Forget about adding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels to your list then (Most Cavs love beds, lounges, chairs, coffee tables) :D plus they shed a fair bit :laugh:

G'day Lambo

We are in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane. Happy to meet up in a dog park somewhere if you to kick a whippets speedy tyres. Dog shows are on this weekend at Durack at the fields on down the road a bit from the Willawong dump. The people watching is nearly as much fun as the dogs themselves!

Hope you are continuing to have fun working on a top 5.

I think A whippet would be perfect for your situation. They hardly bark, happy to spend time alone, trainable, gentle can miss exercise for a day or 2. There are hardly any health issues in the breed.

You will need to put a dog door in to a room with access to a warm bed (permanently) and coat it in the cool seasons. They for some reason out my way, are extremely popular and the blokes have them down on our off leash footy fields kicking footballs and doing laps.

I have one. She was a pain as a pup but all pups are testing. She stole rather than destroyed. She grew up at around 18months. She shares a home with a 1 year old White Shepherd bitch, a 3 month old baby, a 2 year old and a four year old. She spends most of her day finding the warmest spot and sleeping.

If your worried about the dog not being manly enough, you should take a trip out our way and see the well muscled beasts (whippets included) :champagne: flying around the footy oval. They should look like powerful machines, not scrawny skinny breakables. Make sure you go through an ANKC registered breeder to get a good healthy well bred dog.

Hi there,

Did you only want to get a puppy?

I see the Labrador is on your list. Getting an older Lab could be a good option if you are still interested in them.

Often Labrador rescue have Labs that are out of the "puppy stage" that are needing a loving home available! They will place interstate and you would be able to talk to the foster carer about the dog in great detail to see if the dog would fit your household.

Having a calmer dog (of any breed that your interested in) that is out of the puppy stage may also win your wife over easier.

Good luck with your search

Edited by black magic

I've been looking into all this a bit more and taking everyone's comments on board. Firstly, let me say that in addition to the comments on this thread I have also found the following site particularly helpful - http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/profiles - as well as videos of the actual dogs themselves on youtube.

By the way, a big thank you to those who have taken the time to PM me. Much appreciated.

I'm now thinking along the following lines (in order of preference):

1. Smooth haired collie - this seems to be my eldest child's preference - its apparent intelligence puts it high on my list

2. Ridgeback

3. Pointer

4. Weim - I still like this breed best but given the apparent drawbacks I have put it further down my list (subject to my queries below).

5. Whippet - I am personally still chewing on this, but the missus seems to think its more elegant than anorexic. I have to say, they look a little more stockier as puppies compared to when they are fully grown

With the collie, just how much does it shed, smell and bark?

In relation to the Ridgeback, how well does it tolerate being on its own? Also, I saw doco about the health problems associated with purebreds and it mentioned that dermoid sinus. The same doco suggested getting a dog without the Ridge but said that often puppies without the ridge were put down. Is it possible to get a pup without the ridge?

With the Weim, just how needy is the breed? I gather from everything I've read that it likes to hang around people like a shadow, but does it have the tendency to get underfoot or are they happy just to be in the general vacinity? Eg, is it likely to want to follow you into the loo? I've spoken to my other half about this and she has no objection to the dog being a bit of the shadow but doesn't want to tolerate it being literally under foot if she's moving around the house.

Hi Lambo

My Husband had a smooth coat collie back home in the US (Copper still lives there with other family). He is a lovely dog, wonderful nature. Pretty happy to laze around indoors or run around outside. Very happy dog :(. However, he does tend to shed a fair bit, though that could be to do with the greater seasonal variations there (LOTS of snow, then to a warm-ish summer). He would bark at squirrels, raccoons and wildlife a bit but rarely at people.

Edit: Spelling and more info

Edited by ravenau1

With the collie, just how much does it shed, smell and bark?

I have a collie, she barks all the time when outside. Shedding is very heavy all the time, needs lots of brushing and under raking to keep the under coat at bay. She also likes to be close to me, she will follow me to the loo, but every dog I have will do that. Has all three diseases, epi/focal and mild grand mal seizures, heart/valve problems and collie eye (CEA). May also have HD, but have not had xrays.

This sums up my collie pretty well.

Collie Temperament

What's Good About 'Em,

What's Bad About 'Em

(includes Rough and Smooth Collies)

By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2010

Though they have a working heritage as a herding breed, modern Collies need only moderate exercise. But they need a great deal more personal attention -- Collies become unhappy if left for long periods of time without the companionship of people or other pets, and unhappiness can result in chronic barking or destructive chewing.

Collies have a soft, sweet personality. They do not do well in an environment with frequent tension or loud voices.

Collies are peaceful with other pets and polite with strangers. As with most sweet-natured breeds, there is potential for timidity; young Collies need to be thoroughly socialized in order to build a confident temperament.

Collies can have a mild stubborn streak, but they're easy to train if you maintain a calm voice and a light hand on the leash. Sensitivity is one of the hallmarks of this breed. Often they need only verbal corrections, and they become confused and skittish if you jerk them around. Praise, gentle guidance, and food rewards are all that is needed with most Collies. Some individuals, unfortunately, can be hypersensitive and highstrung.

The most common behavioral issue is excessive barking (typically when bored and left outside).

>Smooth Collies, in general, are more energetic, more athletic and agile, more outgoing, and retain more working instincts. Rough Collies, in general, are calmer and more reserved. Some say Smooth Collies tend to be extroverts, and Rough Collies tend to be introverts.

If you want a dog who...

Is elegant and graceful, rather than powerful

Comes in two coat lengths and many striking colors

Is sweet-natured and gentle

Makes a good watchdog, but is not aggressive

Is polite with strangers and other pets

Is athletic and animated but needs only moderate exercise

Is not difficult to train

A Rough or Smooth Collie may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

Providing sufficient exercise and mental stimulation to prevent boredom

"Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) when left alone too much

Shyness or fearfulness in some lines, or when not socialized enough

Chasing things that move (instinctive herding behaviors)

Potential barking

Frequent brushing and combing (Rough coat)

Heavy shedding (both coats)

Potential for serious health problems

A Rough or Smooth Collie may not be right for you.

If I were considering buying or adopting a Rough or Smooth Collie

My major concerns would be:

Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Though they don't need miles of running exercise, Collies must have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing.

Providing enough socialization. Standoffish by nature, Collies need extensive exposure to people and to unusual sights and sounds. Otherwise their natural caution can become shyness.

Emotional sensitivity. Be honest...is there tension in your home? Are people loud or angry or emotional? Are there arguments or fights? Collies are extremely sensitive to stress and may behave neurotically if the people in their home are having family problems. Collies are peaceful dogs who need a harmonious home.

Barking. Some Collies, especially those who are highstrung or bored, are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. For the same reason, Collies should not be left outside in your yard, unsupervised.

Heavy shedding. Rough and Smooth Collies shed a LOT. You'll find hair and fur is deposited all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, and under your furniture.

Regular brushing and combing (Rough coat). Without frequent brushing, Rough Collies will become a matted mess. Even Smooth Collies need frequent brushing because of all the shedding. (Hairs that end up in the brush do not end up on your clothes, furniture, and floor.)

Health problems. Eye diseases are very common, as are skin disorders. Epilepsy and heart disease have become concerns, as well.

Edited by shortstep

Bugger. Shortstep, I thought I read somewhere that smooth haired collies were light to moderate shedders only. Excessive shedding's going to be a real turn off.

Bugger. Shortstep, I thought I read somewhere that smooth haired collies were light to moderate shedders only. Excessive shedding's going to be a real turn off.

Our collie is a rough, but I had a friend with a smooth years ago and her dog shed a lot as I remember. I think more important is this is a breed that often, if you leave them outside, will tend to bark..a lot. Our dog barks for the sheer joy of it.... when she sees something, when she hears something and when she just feel like it. (She is barking right now as my husband banged something in the other room...LOL)

They are lovely sweet dogs and make wonderful companions, but I just wonder if they need to be indoors most of the time to prevent barking in your situation.

Ihave a sugestion, which might also be nice for your children.Could you consider doing foster care for a short period of time. I do not mean take in a problem dog, but just a normal sort of dog with out any major problems. See how it feels to have a dog around the place. How your ideas about where the dog can go and not go, and how much time you will have, and how the kids and wife find the whole process. I think it might give you a far better idea of what you want to find in a dog and what you are willing to give to that dog in return. It might prevent you from making a big mistake too. Maybe take on a Weim who needs foster care for a few weeks?

Edited by shortstep

Lambo _ I was also thinking that perhaps foster care may be a useful gauge for you :( Obviously you wouldn'twant a delinquent .. but I have noticed a few posts asking for temp care for a dog whose owner died or something.... :wave:

All I've heard about is rescuing dogs from the pound or animal shelters. How does the foster system work? ie, What sort of commitment is involved, how do I register my interest etc.

My Wei follows me to the toilet, so do my goldens, even the cats tend to do it, no privacy in this house. Having said that, they all like to be in the same room as you, and will follow you if you go into another room 9 times out of 10, but they are happy lying near you rather than anything else. They don't really get underfoot. The only time I find it a problem is when we are cooking, they tend to lie in the middle of the floor between the stove and the bench!

Shortstep, just to reveal my ignorance a bit more, we are talking about the same breed right? I'm referring to the Collie not the Border Collie - I didn't even know there was a difference before.

GoldenWei, I assume its just a matter of training to teach the Weim (or any other dog) that he/she just to say outside the boundary of the kitchen area?

Herding breeds are generally barkers. Not all dogs in all the herding breeds will bark a lot, but they tend to lean towards more barking rather than less. it's part of their make up, their genetic code. It's part of what they are bred to do......move and protect stock.

The herding breeds include all collies...rough, smooth, bearded and border....all shepherds and sheepdogs.....German, Australian, Shetland, Belgian, Old English etc..... cattle dogs, corgis, kelpies....and some of them are renowned for their ability to bark long and loud.