Ready To Welcome A Puppy Into The Home Too!

Hi all,

I know this has been done to death but I figure where else can i talk about this and get like-minded people to respond? My friends unfortunately think I'm just crazy...

So, the history is, 3 years ago, I finally decided to get a dog, and we got Hazel, thanks to another foster doler... she's 8.5 now almost 9, and we, well I , think it's time we bring another puppy into the house because I think I'm ready with commitments etc etc.. plus I'm older and all that...

So, having had a Keeshond and loving their temperament, their personality etc, I always thought my next (first puppy of many to come) pup would be a Keeshond....

However, after reading through all the breed subforums (Spitz thread you are to blame!!) and seeing all the puppies, I'm curious to know more about people's opinions of other dogs' personalities. I'd like to still keep within that kind of breed so the following are:

1) keeshond

2) Finnish Laphund

3) Samoyed

So now is the boring bit of paper research and readign up (because now I only know about keeshonds and have so much to learn about the others!), but then comes the fun bit!!

I will start looking for breeders... make contact..

what are breeders' response to people turning up to meet the dogs and puppies without straight away purchasing? I know there are heaps of breeders out there, but i've also heard lots of horror stories about breeders getting REALLY offended at people coming and not walking with a puppy....

so i'm keen to hear from everyone about everything!!!

Also if people want me to come and meet their puppies to hear their stories over a cuppa, let me know!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for one of each :rofl:

I would start emailing some breeders and see if you can go and meet some dogs. There are plenty of people around who would be more than happy to introduce you to their dogs and unless you want it right now, you could go and meet with some breeders who maybe don't have puppies on the ground at the moment. That would definitely take some of that pressure off. I'm sure othe people in the spitz thread would be more than happy to introduce you to come young keesies, lappies and sammies so you could see what you would be getting yourself in for - you know how much we like to talk about our fluffies. :heart:

You can pretty much guarantee that if you get another spitz, it'll be quite energetic and very cheeky. It's the price you pay for the beautiful looks. :laugh:

Which state are you in?

I vote for one of each :laugh:

Somehow I don't think I'll be able to cope! although I would one day eventually get one of every kind!! mostly be big ones too :rofl:

I'm in NSW.

oh no no i don't want one right now. I foresee this process taking a good 8 months while i meet and talk with people and breeders, then find which breeder I'd eventually go with, put my name down and wait for the puppies :heart:

I worry that if i meet with the keesies and the lappies and the sammies even the huskies and the malamutes, i'll want them all!

my OH thinks I should stay clear of going to breeders because if they DO have puppies, i might end up taking them all home that day!

I had narrowed down the same three dogs before I got my first Samoyed.

I was so close to getting a Lappie but then I met my first Samoyed in person and it was instant love.

I would suggest going to a show and have a chat to owners of all three breeds and meet the dogs.

There are two people in Sydney (with Sammies) I know who have pups at the moment in the ring (not real babys but still quite young), if you like I could find out where they will be next or get their contact details for you, both are lovely people.

It might be a little difficult to meet a Lappie but their numbers seem to be getting bigger these days which is great! I have been to a few country shows and come across a Lappie or two :laugh:

Offcause my suggestion would be a Samoyed, but then that's to be expected coming from me :rofl:

Edited by Wolfsong

This is so embarassing but as i read through this whole forum at work between stuff, i keep grinning..

esp this thread!!

anyway

wolfsong: that would be brilliant. I've always loved the look of samoyeds but never actually met met met one. There are a few around my place but the owners are not the... best (in my opinion)

the lappies community IS growign! i swear its the puppy photos in the spitz thread!!!

I would love to get details of shows to go to!!! and people to meet! i

This is so embarassing but as i read through this whole forum at work between stuff, i keep grinning..

esp this thread!!

anyway

wolfsong: that would be brilliant. I've always loved the look of samoyeds but never actually met met met one. There are a few around my place but the owners are not the... best (in my opinion)

the lappies community IS growign! i swear its the puppy photos in the spitz thread!!!

I would love to get details of shows to go to!!! and people to meet! i

Cool I will see what I can do.

Are you in the Sydney area or would a Sydney or even Canberra show be possible for you to get too?

I found that seeing a dog in a photo and meeting one can really change a persons mind on a breed. At least it did for me.

I have been looking at a couple of breeds for awhile and thought I would like one but after meeting we just didn't click. And there is nothing worse then meeting a breed you love but it's badly trained, owners a bit of a tool, and so on, it can really ruin the experiance.

Maybe us NSW SPitzers should organise another get together, then you could meet everyone and their dogs :laugh:

Edited by Wolfsong

Haha, what a hard choice! :)

You know we all love these discussions. ;)

Are you looking for something like your current dog, or a little different? Is there anything in particular you'd like to be different?

Personally, my preferences run Lappie, Sami, Keesie. I like that the Lapphunds are a little more of a herding dog than the other two. At least, that's my perception. Lapphunds are very sweet and come in som pretty colours, but Samoyeds are also totally drop dead gorgeous and I just love their smiles. :) I think perhaps the Samis are a bit noisier than the Lappies, and a bit bigger and heavier. Perhaps a bit harder to train/a bit more independent. As far as Kees go, you'd know more about that. I only know Jedi, really. He seems a bit more aloof towards strangers than the Lappies and Samis I've met, but still pretty friendly. I think that fur is thicker than Lapphund fur as well.

I think it's much of a muchness, though. They are all great breeds and for me it's little more than looks, size, and minor differences in coat. I was sorely tempted to get a Samoyed to go with my big, black and tan Lapphund. They look good together. ;) I like having two quite different breeds, though. My Vallhund and Lapphund are kind of vaguely comparable, but very different temperaments. I don't think I could cope with two dogs Kivi's size with that much hair, but I don't think I could cope with two clever, enterprising Eriks that need all that mental stimulation. :)

See I have seen things differently to Corvus about the Sammies and Lappies.

The Lapps I have met have been more independant then the Sammies I know.

Sammies love nothing more then being with their familes all the time, cuddles on the lounge and following you around is high on their list of fun things to do. Neither of mine really like wandering off and exploring or being on their own, they can play by themselves but we have encourgaed this trait in them for our own peace and quiet time.

But then that two different takes on the same breeds :)

The best person to ask about the difference in the breeds is Snofyre, she has/had both.

All three breeds are known to be vocal, we all know this, so some barking is expected, my male Sam is far louder then my bitch, she only barks when we get home or someone is at the door. Otherwise she wont make a sound. So I really think it comes down to the dog itself.

Maybe us NSW SPitzers should organise another get together, then you could meet everyone and their dogs :)

It's been ages since we were all together! Zero was still fat - jed, soaks, boh, kivi and misty were all still puppies and penny was still with corvus :) Lestat was still just chillin' but 2 years younger and magnus has filled out a lot since then :) So many of the dogs weren't even born then!

When's the spitz specialty on? Have i just been in the dark and missed it? It was a great day the last time!

I must admit that with the lappies vs sammies I've met, the lappies do like to cuddle (Magnus has come over and climbed into my lap for a cuddle without me trying to get him there a few times) but the sammies have been smoochier. When we went away with my friend's old sammy, she was constantly following people around trying to wrangle a cuddle from them. I wouldn't call Terranik's Ahsoka particularly cuddly, but then again, she's an "extreme" lappy - there's always something more exciting for her (like a leaf, a bird, a tree, zoomies, Zero, food etc) than a cuddle when I'm around, though she does check in a lot for a quick pat before she's off again.

I would ask Snofyre as well - she'll be a wealth of knowledge. ;)

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Maybe us NSW SPitzers should organise another get together, then you could meet everyone and their dogs :)

Ohhh... even though I don't have a Sammy or Lappie (one day in the future I will get one of each!) I would love to come and have some Lappies and Sammys cuddles. I have a Japanese Spitz though.

Yah, I think maybe there's more differences between individuals within the breeds than the breeds themselves! Those Sammies are real smoochers, but my Lapphund... he's always giving kisses as well, but I think he's lazier than the average Lappie or Sami. He's in the lounge room at the moment because he was too lazy to get up and follow me to my study. Erik always finds the energy to follow me around. :) Kivi is extremely social, but not especially attached to anyone in particular. I don't know how that compares to the other two breeds. I could leave Kivi with a complete stranger and he'd barely miss me. It's good because I never worry about him in someone else's care, but when I go to pick him up I expect little more than a "rooroo!" and a kiss on the face. Sometimes I don't even get that. :)

Kivi is great off leash. Mostly he just sticks close, but we did a fair bit of training and conditioning to get that. He still takes off into the swamp at the dog park on a regular basis. Just to check if there's any possum carcasses to eat, you understand. He lurks on the edge of the embankment that goes into the swamp and you just know he's going to plunge down there sooner or later. Fortunately he stays out of the mangrove mud and comes back, either when we call him or on his own when he ascertains that there are no possum carcasses today.

I think we're overdue for a NSW Spitz meet. :)

OHMIGOD I so agree, yes yes we need a NSW Spitz meet! :)

I live in Sydney city city well eastern suburbs but sometimes we stay out at turramurra (relos place).

Don't mind a drive provided its not TOO far...

Hmm.. I do agree that Keesies are very aloof with strangers.. Hazel is just such a snob with people but with us at home, she's the clingiest type!!

See this is why I need everyone's input!

Is a dog's personality also impacted by its breeding or up-bringing?

OHMIGOD I so agree, yes yes we need a NSW Spitz meet! ;)

I live in Sydney city city well eastern suburbs but sometimes we stay out at turramurra (relos place).

Don't mind a drive provided its not TOO far...

Hmm.. I do agree that Keesies are very aloof with strangers.. Hazel is just such a snob with people but with us at home, she's the clingiest type!!

See this is why I need everyone's input!

Is a dog's personality also impacted by its breeding or up-bringing?

I'm sure aspects of the dogs temperment would be created by breeding and upbringing but I am yet to meet an aloof Samoyed.

It's just not in their nature.

To be fair I have met two that were a little fearful of people but knowing these dogs I believe that to be enviromental causes rather then breeding (different lines, different owners, met other dogs related and no issues with fear). And thats two Sammies out of well over 100 so I think the odds are pretty good ;)

I met a Samoyed once at a vet practise, it was a rescue, had been badly abused and yet this dog was still the happiest, sweetest animal. It's faith in humaity was touching.

They truely are an amazing breed.

Can I come to the spitz meet? :)

Riddick can pretend to be a spitz..

No reason you can't bring Riddick.

My Lab will be coming along as well so they can play make believe Spitz together :)

I believe the last meet was in Centennial Park (I missed that one)

We would have to organise it well in advance as most of us are pretty busy on weekends but I see no reason why not to do it. :)

Edited by Wolfsong

I'm bringing Charlie along too... he can pretend to be a Spitz too. But, he is better at pretending to be human then a Spitz though.

I think most dogs THINK they're human anyway?

i've been doing some reading and I thought I'd get some opinions...

Samoyeds and lappies: people say they need a few kms run a day, some say 2 short walks but need lots of human companionship..

which is it?