Ready To Welcome A Puppy Into The Home Too!

Yay, spitz meet (plus extras)!

I think exercise depends on the dog. My Lappie is a couch potato. He gets about 30 minutes of running at the park or walking around the block a day and often plays with Erik for a further 30 minutes a day. When he was an adolescent he needed a bit more. These days he just lies around a lot. He can go about 2 days without exercise before he starts getting antsy, but it's Erik that is the problem in that regard. Kivi is pretty laid back.

On the other hand, some Lappies are a lot more active. TerraNik's Ahsoka is a machine!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bringing Charlie along too... he can pretend to be a Spitz too. But, he is better at pretending to be human then a Spitz though.

I think most dogs THINK they're human anyway?

i've been doing some reading and I thought I'd get some opinions...

Samoyeds and lappies: people say they need a few kms run a day, some say 2 short walks but need lots of human companionship..

which is it?

I can only say for Sammies but I walk mine (stuff running! :( ) a few km but I do this to keep myself (sadly not working as well as I would like :) ) and them very fit (show dogs and all).

It really depends on your dog and what they want. Provided they are exercised daily and played with, allowed to spend heaps of time with you and made to use their minds (the most important part) they don't need to go hiking or running for hours on end.

They are not like Mals or Sibes in ther exercise requirments.

Edited by Wolfsong

That was what I was worried about! you know how some dogs like collies and sibes NEED crazy exercise...

I'd be up for a spitz meet with my two! :)

Ahsoka is even more of a machine at the moment, Corvus :( Crazy lappie!

Ahsoka and Jedi are soooo cute terranik!!! Loving their youtube videos!

I would be up for a spitz meet!!

And I think there might be a lappie picnic happening soon too!!

Can Hazel pretend to be a lappie then?

That was what I was worried about! you know how some dogs like collies and sibes NEED crazy exercise...

I'd be up for a spitz meet with my two! :(

Ahsoka is even more of a machine at the moment, Corvus :rofl: Crazy lappie!

Ahsoka and Jedi are soooo cute terranik!!! Loving their youtube videos!

I would be up for a spitz meet!!

And I think there might be a lappie picnic happening soon too!!

Can Hazel pretend to be a lappie then?

She doesn't even need to pretend!!! She can come along anyway! Our last picnic we had a few prospective owners there who had brought their non-lappies along!!

Here's the video from last time - you can see the variety of breeds!

You are welcome to come visit my herd any time Lynlovesdogs. They are FAR from aloof . Or if we do organise a meet I can go to, then I will bring a couple out for the day.

I think Kees are the best breed, but I am biased, but no more than anyone else who is trying to convince you that Sammies or Lappies are the way to go!

Oh, I wish I was in NSW at times like this...lol

Good luck with your research and meeting examples of the breeds, the process should be fun in itself, let alone actually getting one of your own!

I don't have a lot of experience with Lappies, I have only spent time with Lappiemum's Bear, Tasha and Sohvi, and Evolving's Echo. They all have delightful personalities, very energetic and playful, somewhat cheeky. I don't know that I could say any of them are overly smoochy, but when I see them we are surrounded by up to 20 dogs, so it probably doesn't count. They are great with other dogs, not shy of strangers, gentle with children. I don't recall them barking a lot.

I can't speak of Keesies, as I've never really spent any time with them.

I live with a female Sammie who is very excitable, happy, cuddly at home, friendly to all people and dogs she meets, loves children. She only weighs about 17kg, which I imagine is very similar to a female Lappie? She is beginning to fill out a little now, but I imagine she'll never weigh much more than 20kg. She doesn't get walked everyday, but she certainly knows how to amuse herself around the house and works off a lot of energy that way. She rarely barks at home, although when out and about, if she gets excited enough, she will bark. I have spent a fair bit of time with her dam and litter sister, and they adore everyone's affection, they would sit by you all day for cuddles and pats. I've met quite a few others now as well, and as WS mentioned the only ones I've met that weren't your typical friendly happy Sams, were unfortunately in rescue and hadn't led the best lives. However, that's not to say they would all be like that.

Anyway, that is all I can think of for now...all the best :rofl:

You are welcome to come visit my herd any time Lynlovesdogs. They are FAR from aloof . Or if we do organise a meet I can go to, then I will bring a couple out for the day.

I think Kees are the best breed, but I am biased, but no more than anyone else who is trying to convince you that Sammies or Lappies are the way to go!

Oh yeah! You SO need to meet Harry!!!!!! :(:rofl:

Lynlovesdogs, there is a Lappie picnic being organised for the afternoon of the 10th of July. A venue is still to be finalised. If anyone would like to attend and meet a few dozen Lappies they are more than welcome.

Be warned though, Magnus is nearly single handedly responsible for the population explosion of Lappies in NSW over the last 3 years :laugh: He is the biggest smoocher and won't let you get away without having his belly rubbed.

Woofenpup and I were only saying a few weeks ago it was about time we had another Picnic :D

I haven't had a Keeshond but I have had a Sammy and I now have 4 Lappies so I could give you a run down on the difference in personalities etc. There really isn't that much of a difference though. It will come down to what size dog you want in the end.

Lappies are just black & tan or brown or cream or domino or wild colour or game colour or whatever colour little Sammies. :D

She doesn't even need to pretend!!! She can come along anyway! Our last picnic we had a few prospective owners there who had brought their non-lappies along!!

Here's the video from last time - you can see the variety of breeds!

Ohmigod... so have to go to the next one.. count me in please!!

I agree with you Rysup! Sorry I missed out at meeting u a couple years back at Castle Hill showground! everytime I drive down showground road, i keep wondeirng if I'll see a Keesie stick their head out of the house :D

Good luck with your research and meeting examples of the breeds, the process should be fun in itself, let alone actually getting one of your own!

I'm actually really keen on the process... and I want to do it properly :angel: but thanks!

I love this community!!

Poor Harry! :D You gotta love him!

Well I do!

Who's Harry!!

Lynlovesdogs, there is a Lappie picnic being organised for the afternoon of the 10th of July. A venue is still to be finalised. If anyone would like to attend and meet a few dozen Lappies they are more than welcome.

Be warned though, Magnus is nearly single handedly responsible for the population explosion of Lappies in NSW over the last 3 years :( He is the biggest smoocher and won't let you get away without having his belly rubbed.

Woofenpup and I were only saying a few weeks ago it was about time we had another Picnic :D

I haven't had a Keeshond but I have had a Sammy and I now have 4 Lappies so I could give you a run down on the difference in personalities etc. There really isn't that much of a difference though. It will come down to what size dog you want in the end.

Lappies are just black & tan or brown or cream or domino or wild colour or game colour or whatever colour little Sammies. :)

Hi SnoFyre, I'd love to come for the lappie picnic, i'm just worried Hazel will eat everyone's food!

IT'll be interesting to hear your run down of the difference.

Looking at my "research" I do think these 3 breeds run almost the same.. except keesies are a bit more, less social with other dogs and more lazy? Or that could just be mine!!

Hi SnoFyre, I'd love to come for the lappie picnic, i'm just worried Hazel will eat everyone's food!

IT'll be interesting to hear your run down of the difference.

Looking at my "research" I do think these 3 breeds run almost the same.. except keesies are a bit more, less social with other dogs and more lazy? Or that could just be mine!!

Lappies Vs Kees from my perspective (can't comment on Samoyeds)

Lappies are a cross between a cuddle muffin and a working dog. They would happily lie around all day with you, but at the same token would happily be active all day. They do range in activity levels from couch potato extreme (i.e. don't you dare wake me up for a walk!) to crazy psycho lappies (i.e. constant zoomies, playing, running, etc). I have a crazy psycho. I find them more independent than Keeshonds in that they don't really follow you around as much, but they do check in every now and again. I have met some that are a little more clingy. They can be stubborn, but I wouldn't say as much as Keeshonds. They're very smart, too - I'd put them on par with other working breeds particularly kelpies. I am training both breeds at the moment and they're very similar to work with. Though others are harder to work with because they don't have the same level of drive. They LOVE others but can be a little shy of strangers. On the whole though, they are all over new people and other dogs. The grooming is relatively easy. I've left Soaks for 3 months without a groom (as an experiment) and she had no matts and you couldn't tell that I hadn't groomed her. If I did that with Jedi I'd be in big trouble! :(

Keeshonds are cheekier and make me laugh more. You really need a sense of humour to own one! They can be more stubborn but I don't find they have that much of an independent streak. They follow you around EVERYWHERE, often being aptly named, "Shadow". They are pretty active dogs but are definitely happy to sleep aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day! :D They've very smart and pick things up quickly so easily trained if you are able to break through the stubborn barrier with a good bond. I think it depends on the individual keeshond whether they are really social with strangers or not. Jedi couldn't care less, but I have seen others who are all over new people. Same with their interactions with dogs. The grooming is much more tedious.

Edited by TerraNik

That's a great run down terranik!

BTW, how's jedi's skin thingo going? We shaved hazel in the summer, and started her on a new food, and also with malaseb, when I took her to the vet, the vet kept asking me what I'd done to get her skin so good! no hot spots at all! anyway we can chat at the meet.

I have met maybe... 5 keeshonds.

the first I met at Centinnial park, she was even more aloof than Hazel to both human and dog,

second i was in the car in a traffic jam and he was walking to the retirement home as a therapy dog and he seemed keen to want to almost jump up into the car!

third I met outside my house and i think he liked me cos I had food?

the last 2 i met at castle hill showground at a show, one was super hyper (young male) and the other just couldn't be bothered (older male)

(and i lost that breeder's contact in Dural!!)

Anyway, I love the keeshond personality.. I haven't met one I don't like yet... but it's the Spitz breed thread's fault! all the dang lappy photos!!

I thought it'd be nice to get a dog with a slightly different personality, perhaps one who plays abit more than Hazel does :(

in terms of breeders of Lappies, Samoyeds and Keeshonds, based on what I've read so far, would I be correct in assuming the numbers of them in NSW rank as Samoyed (most), Lappies and then Keeshonds?

Also, anyone's experience with health type inherent issues wth the breeds?

in terms of breeders of Lappies, Samoyeds and Keeshonds, based on what I've read so far, would I be correct in assuming the numbers of them in NSW rank as Samoyed (most), Lappies and then Keeshonds?

Also, anyone's experience with health type inherent issues wth the breeds?

No, I would say Samoyeds, Keeshonds, Lappies.

There are not many lappies in NSW - there's only 300 in the country.

Health-wise I can't comment on Samoyeds...

Keeshonds: PHPT (genetic test available), epilepsy, skin problems, Cushing's, hypothyroidism. And the usual hip dysplasia.

Lappies: lots of eye conditions - PRA (genetic test - we have no lappies WITH PRA, only carriers or clear), retinal dysplasia, PHTVL, PHPV. And hip and elbow dysplasia.

more keeshond breeders than lappies? I'm surprised!!

Keeshond breeders or keeshond numbers?

But yes...

There are only two Lappie breeders in Sydney and one on the central coast. There are a few other breeders who own them, but haven't had a little yet to my knowledge.

There are over 10 Keeshond breeders in NSW.

Keeshonden are much more common. I am not surprised when I see one when I'm out and about... But I die of shock when I see another Lappie.

Wow, that is interesting,

well that cuts down my number of visits to breeders (since there are only 3 Lappie ones! and that's if they let me visit them!)

10 breeders? there doesn't seem to be 10 listed in DOL?

although you are right. I have seen more Keeshonds than Lappies. I dont' see many Keeshonds, but i have never actually met a Lappie!!!

I don't know where you're looking, but there are 14 listed on DOL.

Miavig is in Sydney and they are very happy for people to visit them. Their lappies are complete cuddle muffins and very laid back. Awesome for some fluffy snuggles! They also breed Keeshonds.

Snofyre is on the Central Coast but she shows in Sydney regularly. She has two adult lappies and two puppies at the moment.

Ausvarg is in Sydney and they are expecting a litter soon with their bitch Scribble.

Aside from that, there are a few of us who show in Sydney as well with ranging ages. Ahsoka (almost 2), Demi (almost 1), Quito (about 7 months, I think) and Mitch (3). We're always happy for people to come visit us at shows to have a cuddle and a chat. :confused:

But you should definitely come to the lappie picnic - that's where you'll see the most lappies of various activity levels and ages!

Edited by TerraNik

haha, sorry about that.. my research on Keeshonds is a tad old :laugh:

or i must have stopped scrolling at some point.

that's a great starting point for me! some less intimidating people to ring up to talk about visiting them!! :confused: thanks for all your help!

yeah i should make it out to a show at some point.. just keep missing them!

haha lappie picnic I WOULD LOVE TOOOO

i really have never met one!