Pig In Mud

Kirislin

I have got one...it is fantastic. I have recently moved house and obviously was able to take it with me. It was also great for open homes as I simply removed it and stored it out of sight for when people came through. My dogs were easy to train to use it but that would be no different from a normal dog door. As well I am able to remove it and just lock the door as normal while I am away for extended periods and the dogs are elsewhere. As well it has a cover over the flap in case I want to lock the dogs in or out of the house. It does not allow for a one directional entry though like some dog doors.

The only tricky thing for me was how to ensure the door remained locked as the insert does not have a locking facility. While most people would have the skill and tools to be able to attach a lock I am very much a challenged handywoman. However I figured out that if I put a length of wood/metal bar down into the sliding door runner people would be unable to to open the door from the outside and in fact it provides a more secure situation than my dodgy lock on my old door that could probably be jiggled open. The main issue is that now I can't open my door from the outside if for some reason I should lose my front door key or remote garage door opener. A risk I am happy to wear.

The other risk...I have a dog that is silly enough to expect it to be there everytime so for those moments when it is removed she is known to smack head first into the glass right about where she expects the flap to be...unfortunately everytime she does it she does not get any smarter and in fact I suspect the blow to her head actually makes her more likely to do it again.

I have the Patio Link one with adaptor so that I can lock it, it is great but it does reduce the available door space. I had to bring in a chest of srawers the other day and it was a tight fit as I have the medium size.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

We've also got one - and I think it's great. It can be fitted into either the glass sliding door track or the screen sliding door track. We have fitted ours into the screen sliding door track and put the lock bit on the side of the dog screen so that we can still lock the screen door if we wish. This also allows us to slide the glass door over the whole shebang from the inside and lock the door as usual if we wish to.

The only downside is that it makes the gap to get through the door smaller - so not great if you are an enormous person or have something large you want to take through the door - though they do come out very easily! Additionally the actuall hole part can be moved down if it is a little high off the ground - depends on the size of your dog I guess. We have previously paid in excess of $600 to have a dog door installed in a glass panel - and then had to replace the glass when we moved and go through the whole process again. The pig in mud one we have installed in a holiday home - and it is a much easier and cheaper solution.

Awesome, I had also been looking at one of these. Unfortunately the super large size I need is not in stock :(

I really need the large but they dont make it anymore so I had to get the extra large, which, I suspect is big enough for a person to crawl through, sort of defeats some of the purpose I got it for. It will still be nice not to have to open the door thirty times a day.

Ahhhh, I did think that it would probably be big enough for a person. Though I figure if someone is going to go through my locked gates and through 3 super sized dogs to crawl through a dog door then they were probably going to break in anyway :(

I just really want to be able to close the door at night (i'm too lazy to get up so leave it open) and shut the screen door in summer.

Hmmm, I wonder the difference in price between them and the ones with the sensor on the collar that allows it to open?

I had a small normal dog door (for mini schnauzers) and have been broken into twice. Teh police now believe that this is how they were getting in. I'll never have a dog door again!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just got a quick question about locking the pig in mud panel. We have a double sliding door (meets in the middle of the wall and both slide back) Was wondering if those that already own the insert could have a look and tell me if they think it would be possible to screw the locking parts of the door onto the pig in mud insert?

So essentially having 2 locks on the door. I dont mind if the entire panel and doors move back and forth but due to the fact that the glass doors slide on the outside of the solid stationary doors so i cant put a runner lock in or a piece of wood in the runners. So i need the doors to physically lock into the insert. I have added some diagrams below if that helps.

First is how the doors are at the moment. Second is how i hope it will be possible to fix them together.

Green lines indicate the solid fixed glass doors

Red lines are the sliding glass doors

Light blue is the dog door insert

Black things are the door locks.

So i am thinking of buying another set of the same door locks and attaching them to the pig in mud insert so that it all becomes one solid moving panel.

post-21391-1282262399_thumb.jpg

post-21391-1282262405_thumb.jpg

I have the Patio Link one with adaptor so that I can lock it, it is great but it does reduce the available door space. I had to bring in a chest of srawers the other day and it was a tight fit as I have the medium size.

Agree with this, we have the same one - great well functioning dog door, but the door space is reduced somewhat.

I have one...They are FANTASTIC!!!

Having up to four large dogs going in and out whenever they please, the other ones fell apart within a few months.

My Pig in Mud one has last over a year and is still going strong...Well worth paying the extra money.

I ordered mine directly off their website.

I had a small normal dog door (for mini schnauzers) and have been broken into twice. Teh police now believe that this is how they were getting in. I'll never have a dog door again!

Unbelievable Megan...Goes to show you that if they are determined, they will get in anyway.

Must have been small burglars...I can hardly fit in my large one.

I figure if the burglars wont to jump three 6ft plus fences, wrestle four crazy dogs and then squeeze through my doggy door - then goodluck to them

I have wanted one for sooooooo long! I am tired of playing 'doorman' in the throes of Winter and Summer. Spring and Autumn aren't too bad as I just leave the sliding door open. Hopefully I'll get one from Santa this year.

I agree they are just the best! My OH made one when she was just a puppy but it was becoming a bit of a squeeeeze :laugh: so managed to find a large one at a reduced price online. There are still some large ones around, you just have to search a bit more, I got mine at a good price as it was old stock.

It does reduce the opening of the door but we have three doors out onto our veranda so no probs. Stunningly easy to put in, even I managed to do it on my own, OH was most impressed ;) Really like being able to put it in the fly screen track, as most of the year the glass bit remains open, dont have the security issues as we are in a small town, but I do remove it when we go away.

Has anyone attempted to make their own?

I have been thinking that i might be easier for me. My door is 2600mm high. Even the 'tall' version only goes to 2450mm so i would have to buy 3 of the 60mm extensions to make it fit. And i have only see the extensions available for purchase at 1 place and they are about $100 each! So a $300 door (have seen them on ebay for that) becomes $600.

Sure a home made version wouldnt have the nice clear window in it. But if i can wack one together for $150 myself i think i can live with a solid panel down the middle of my doors.

We have had one for four years and are a great door. The only problem we have had is that the flaps last about two years and crack at the top and the plastic tabs where the flap attaches break off but were easily reinforced with pieces of tin plate. We have a couple of GSD's belting through the door at full speed often, so the door certainly gets a work out at our place :)

Not too concerned with intruders climbing through unless they want to meet this on the other side :D

post-35950-1282734367_thumb.jpg

post-35950-1282734499_thumb.jpg