Who Has The Oldest Dog Here?

lanabanana

My eldest are a 14 1/2 year old Lhasa Apso. Andre is blind, partially deaf, but still enjoys pottering around the yard peeing on everything. Lhasa's can be very long lived - I know of a few who had to be PTS around 24-25 years old.

And Holly is a 13 year old Keeshond. She is as deaf as a post and had learnt to follow me when I wave like a lunatic!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a lovely thread( and sad too) but gee makes me see the good side of the Dog world, I cant state to owning an old dog my girl is 11 years young and for a Crested thats average age, but for me its a record.

BIG well done, obviously the dogs owned by DOL members are very happy and loved a lot.

I have a dobe girl who is only 6 and I am so hoping she lives a very long life, would love to know from any other dobe owners if they have had or have a dobe live well into double figures. (fingers crossed).
I have a dobe girl who is only 6 and I am so hoping she lives a very long life, would love to know from any other dobe owners if they have had or have a dobe live well into double figures. (fingers crossed).

Mars,

I have a Dobe. Girl who is 12 and still going strong and we expect ours to live to 14 on past experience.

My 1st dog,a collie cross lived to 18 years.He saw me through my childhood and the birth of my children.Very sadly missed to this day.

Kaisie (in my avatar) turned 11 early this year. Not bad for a Dobe.

She has a bit of arthritis - will probably go back for more injections soon - some spey incontinance, and a few fatty lumpy things, but otherwise quite healthy.

Our Weimaraner was about 16 when we made the decision to let her go.

My oldest dog is 14 yeas and 9 months and is a Belgian Shepherd. While not greatly old, Be Be has severe HD and at diagnosis I was told she would probably only live to about 8. I think she stays alive to annoy the young ones, but she is vey good at teaching wayward puppies some manners:)

I also had a Kelpie that was 16 when she died, and my brothers GSP was 17 when he died.

My childhood dog, a border collie probably with something else in him, was two or three days short of 19 when he was given his wings. Before him my mum had an old English sheepdog (pure) who was two weeks off of 21 when she was pts!!

Both of these dogs were fed on homebrand, pal etc - must have been all the preservatives :eek:

I doubt I will get the pugs that far given the shorter lifespan of the bracchy breeds. 12 would be nice :rolleyes:

Both of these dogs were fed on homebrand, pal etc - must have been all the preservatives :rolleyes:

My brother's neighbour's kelpie has been fed from day one on not only homebrand, but in non-english homebrand food. We have no idea what it's called, or what is in it. She buys it from an asian supermarket in the city because it's 20c a can {about the size of a large Pedigree can}. It features Japanese characters, with the only English being a speech bubble coming from the mouth of a dog saying "TRUE FRIEND DOG FOD!"

We've figured out the flavours because the cartoon dog on the front wears either a pig snout, cow horns, chicken wings or rabbit ears.

The damn dog eats only this food. I've offered free food, we've tried out every can and fresh option avaliable in shops, raw and barf, every dried food in every price range, home cooked meals, human food, even a piece of prime porterhouse steak but nope, it has to be True Friend Dog Fod.

It's 6 years old, goes to the vet every year and to date has had nothing wrong with it in the slightest sense, the picture of perfect health with a gorgeous coat, perfect teeth, perfect muscles, barely a scrap of fat spare, energy to burn and fine firm poo.

However, I will add that my fiance's Saint Bernard died at 16 years of age.

HeavyPaws that is double the normal for a Saint Remarkable effort My Boogie had his tenth birthday 11-03-2010.

He is poor of sight and hearing as can be well imagined. but is looking real good and moving around heaps better because he's been getting fresh baby salmon whole for about a month and he just loves them. He's always at the back gate waitng for me to see what he has for tea!

This one was fit as a fiddle but died of a brain tumour.

"Fit as a fiddle" sounds odd considering the death, but despite being from one of those types of dog-owning families that see vets as a last-minute resource only, it was in great shape. Both eyes were fine, movement was great, joints fine, hearing fine, still ate with appetite, still went for a few hours walk a week and apart from teeth absolutely caked in tartar, was in good shape.

Then started having seizures, they waited a year before taking it to the vet, and the vet recommended PTS. It was fitting up to 80 times a day and they took the advice.

Mars,

I have a Dobe. Girl who is 12 and still going strong and we expect ours to live to 14 on past experience.

My 1st dog,a collie cross lived to 18 years.He saw me through my childhood and the birth of my children.Very sadly missed to this day.

Kaisie (in my avatar) turned 11 early this year. Not bad for a Dobe.

She has a bit of arthritis - will probably go back for more injections soon - some spey incontinance, and a few fatty lumpy things, but otherwise quite healthy.

Our Weimaraner was about 16 when we made the decision to let her go.

Thank you both for replying, that's great news!

My old Australian Cattle Dog "Junior" is 15. He will be 16 next February. He was on Previcox for his Arthritis but we need to change that because he is starting to have some kidney & liveer problems, not severe, but, there are definate changes. Changing him over to Pred. Just trying to make him as comfortable as possible. We know we don't have a lot longer now that he is on the Prednisone, keeping a close eye on him. He is happy and still thinks of himself as alpha. Deaf, blind and a little incontinent, but, still happy and quite spritely on the warmer days. Love him to bits.

One of our clients said to me the other day, "what a gift to have him for 15 years" I thought that was such a perfect way of putting it.

My old Australian Cattle Dog "Junior" is 15. He will be 16 next February. He was on Previcox for his Arthritis but we need to change that because he is starting to have some kidney & liveer problems, not severe, but, there are definate changes. Changing him over to Pred. Just trying to make him as comfortable as possible. We know we don't have a lot longer now that he is on the Prednisone, keeping a close eye on him. He is happy and still thinks of himself as alpha. Deaf, blind and a little incontinent, but, still happy and quite spritely on the warmer days. Love him to bits.

One of our clients said to me the other day, "what a gift to have him for 15 years" I thought that was such a perfect way of putting it.

Hi Guys, our boy is 11 years old :thumbsup::rofl::rofl: , 3/4 blind and 1/2 deaf but still rules the roost with the rest of them.

My first Deerhound went to 14 with hardly a problem. Since then I have been well down in the single figures. My Avatar dog passed last year not making 8 :rofl: .

Considering that the early dog lived on supermarket Pal and greyhound meal I too am looking hard at the preservatives!! :thumbsup:

No longer with us but my grandmother had a stumpy tail cattle dog that was her working dog, she was a stockman at the meatworks.

Shorty was born a year after me and when I was around he was my dog wouldnt listen to anyone else :thumbsup: he lived to be 22.5. God I miss that dog.

My childhood dog, a border collie probably with something else in him, was two or three days short of 19 when he was given his wings. Before him my mum had an old English sheepdog (pure) who was two weeks off of 21 when she was pts!!

Both of these dogs were fed on homebrand, pal etc - must have been all the preservatives ;)

I doubt I will get the pugs that far given the shorter lifespan of the bracchy breeds. 12 would be nice :D

My two are still very young, but my family dog, a pug called Ernie, is almost 13 and still kicking on. He has had cancer for the past 3 years but keeps defying all the odds and still has a good quality of life. he sleeps a lot but still loves his food and walks (albeit slowly and not very far) every day.

Post the age of your dog here and let's see if we can find the oldest dog.

Also, what breed is it and is it usual/unusual for that breed to get to that age?

I've had a 16.5 year old German Shepherd X Greyhound, a 15 year old Dobe x Kelpie, and a 20 year old small white terrorist who bit me regularly!

• 1 year later...

I have a purebred beagle that's 18 and a purebred Pembroke corgi that's 20.

My oldest Maremma is purebred and is 17 in September. I also have a cat in her early 20's.

Love this thread. I'm hoping my lot live forever.

Just wondering how your oldies are going?

And what the hell you feed them? :laugh:

Umm my oldest is a 14 and a half year old Stafford, he is pretty much deaf, has spinal arthritis and a bad heart and has done do for the last 4 years or there abouts. He goes for walks every day - they are fairly slow and not too far, could eat the leg of a slow moving cow, still gives the foxes what for and is a happy happy lad

Edited by OSoSwift

My family's boxer when I was a teenager was pts at 14 1/2, and that was from fairly rapid onset heart failure. That's an excellent age for a boxer - my parent's current boxer is about 11 but has cancer and we don't expect that he has much longer. 14 1/2 is also not bad for a dog that had a severe infection and underwent 2 lots of orthopaedic surgery to try and save her leg by the age of 10 days. She was a total darling. She did have a bit of trouble with her bad leg, had a couple of lumps which are always a bit scary in a boxer but turned out to be benign cysts, and developed epilepsy and cataracts at around the age of 12. The cataracts never bothered her, but she used to get frightened when she had a fit. Fortunately it didn't happen very often, and she was otherwise extremely happy curled up on her blanket on the couch, playing tag with the cat or shmoozing for a pat and a treat.

I used to baby sit a red and Tan Kelpie who was euthed a little before his 19th birthday. He had Pal working dog biscuits all his life and a bit of Protapac when he was older to help keep his weight on. Towards the end he was deaf and half blind but a happy bouncy boy until he started fitting, then a few days after his first fit, he started fitting and didn't stop and was euthed.