Who Has The Oldest Dog Here?

lanabanana

Post the age of your dog here and let's see if we can find the oldest dog.

Also, what breed is it and is it usual/unusual for that breed to get to that age?

I know the usual/unusual thing may be a silly question as all dogs are different but i know some breeds have much higher or lower life expectancies.

My dogs don't qualify - they are both young

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 16 for a St - that's a pretty good age sn't it?

The border collie I grew up with died at 17 - though IMO she should have been PTS 2 years sooner

Don't quote me, I'm not a Saint expert, but giant breeds can sometimes struggle for 10 years

Edited by HeavyPaws

Wow 16 for a St - that's a pretty good age sn't it?

The border collie I grew up with died at 17 - though IMO she should have been PTS 2 years sooner

Don't quote me, I'm not a Saint expert, but giant breeds can sometimes struggle for 10 years

yea, thats what I thought

I thought the general rule was the smaller the dog the bigger the lifespan - with some exceptions obviously

I have a purebred beagle that's 18 and a purebred Pembroke corgi that's 20.

My oldest Maremma is purebred and is 17 in September. I also have a cat in her early 20's.

:rofl: WOW that is amazing Steve. I think I might come & live with you and bring all my dogs so I can have them for as long as possible. What is your secret?

I have a Lhasa Apso...not sure if she's purebred, I suspect not...who is 16 and very sprightly. She's a bit hard of hearing but she CAN hear, and she lives a full and happy life with no health problems aside from a minor skin rash.

the Corgi we grew up with went to late teens, probably shouldnt have though :rofl:

I have met several VERY old cattle dogs 19/20 yo....but i believe they have Dingo way back in their heritage , and Dingos can & do live past 20 yrs ??

And i used to groom a 22 yrs old poodle. That was not fun, poor old dog.

I have a purebred beagle that's 18 and a purebred Pembroke corgi that's 20.

My oldest Maremma is purebred and is 17 in September. I also have a cat in her early 20's.

:D Thats amazing. How the hell do you have so many long lived animals? Do you feed them preservatives from day 1? lol

I have a Lhasa Apso...not sure if she's purebred, I suspect not...who is 16 and very sprightly. She's a bit hard of hearing but she CAN hear, and she lives a full and happy life with no health problems aside from a minor skin rash.

our family dog is a 16yr old Lhasa x malt!!! He is also very sprightly...lack of good hearing and gets skin rash...only other thing is he has a heart murmour and has had it since he was born! But yes hes one healthy happy dog! And there isnt a person in this world that has meet casper and not liked him! We call him Casper the friendly dog :D

I suspect our Lhasa is also a Malt x, but she does look very Lhasa like and is the right colouring. She's as thick as two planks, but that's not an old age thing, she's always been like that. We adore her and she is getting funnier and more set in her ways as she gets older.

We got Benson because after our other dig died, I thought my Lhasa was going to curl up and die of missing her friend. She wouldn't get off the couch and all she did was sleep....for weeks.

We brought Benson home and she hated him on sight. It was the best thing we ever could have done, cos she got off the couch, defended her food, defended her yard and came back to life. Benson adored her and still does.

OH's jrt was 18 heading for 19.... he did not so much pass away as killed....he grabbed a snake in his territory... chewed it up into a million bits...

same as my 14 nearly 15 yo jrt... she protected the other younger dogs...

bc she made about 15 totally blind... no hearing would run into things as she still loved to run.... had to pts.

i don't think i have ever owned a dog that hasn't made 14 at least. one only died in with no sign (i would guess natural causes)

I have a Basset Hound that will be 11 next month, although that age is not old for a dog it is a good age for a Basset with a live span of around 10. Gemma is almost blind and very hard of hearing but otherwise is very healthy with no joint problems. :D

gemma10yrsold.jpg

gemma10yrsold-1.jpg

Leanne

I suspect our Lhasa is also a Malt x, but she does look very Lhasa like and is the right colouring. She's as thick as two planks, but that's not an old age thing, she's always been like that. We adore her and she is getting funnier and more set in her ways as she gets older.

We got Benson because after our other dig died, I thought my Lhasa was going to curl up and die of missing her friend. She wouldn't get off the couch and all she did was sleep....for weeks.

We brought Benson home and she hated him on sight. It was the best thing we ever could have done, cos she got off the couch, defended her food, defended her yard and came back to life. Benson adored her and still does.

:D Thats funny, our boy isnt the sharpest tool in the shed either.