Who Has The Oldest Dog Here?

lanabanana

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATM all mine are young i have a 2 year old 1 year old and 8 weekold, But growing up our family dog was a German shepherd cross labrador who past away about 2 weeks before his 17th birthday. Up until he past he still had his puppy like spouts of energy i really did start to think he was going to last forever.He past away peacfully laying with dad at night as he always did getting his pats no sign just went to sleep, it still brings tears to my eyes

post-21904-0-09940300-1314964834_thumb.jpgI had a blue merle Sheltie who was bitten by a snake one week after his 18th birthday. His heart,lungs,liver and kidneys were all functioning at 100%,but I thought it was too much to ask him to go through the anti-venine treatment,so I gave him his wings. His father lived to 17,almost 18. Edited by exkiwi

My oldie is Clover, she will be 13 next month. Still gets around ok for a dog that tore a cruciate at 10 years old, and weighs 30kg.

Lovely to hear all these stories.

May as well add mine here.

Our old family dog, a Shih Tzu X JRT was almost 16 when she was euthanised for severe dementia (she showed a lot of distress a lot of the time towards the end and we decided her quality of life, because of this, was poor). Aside from this though, she still had perfect joints, good eyesight and would enjoy 5k walks on a regular basis (she could even still outrun me, though that's not saying much :laugh: ). If we let nature take its course she would probably have survived a few more years.

post-21904-0-09940300-1314964834_thumb.jpgI had a blue merle Sheltie who was bitten by a snake one week after his 18th birthday. His heart,lungs,liver and kidneys were all functioning at 100%,but I thought it was too much to ask him to go through the anti-venine treatment,so I gave him his wings. His father lived to 17,almost 18.

What a stunning dog and what a great age. I find fluffies tend to hide their age well. Our old family dog would be mistaken for a puppy at age 15. She would dart around all playful in her pretty apricot coat and people were often shocked to find out her age.

Mum and Dad's cavalier is 13, she is stone deaf and going blind but still outwalks everyone!

Sadly at a vet visit recently she was diagnosed with tumours in her spleen, the vet said just to keep an eye on her as there is not much they can do :cry: since that day Kyra has had a new lease of life and is bouncing around, Dad jokes, but he will be distraught, that she knows what the next vet visit will entail so is determined for it not to happen :cry: It will be a sad day when Kyra passes on, I had her full sister from an earlier litter but because of misdiagnosis of a vet she only lived until she was 7 passing away from renal failure :cry:

My five range in age from 7 to 4 months so hope I have many years left with my beautiful lot.

Our old 'family dog' Maddie now lives with us. She is a malt x shih tzu and has just turned 17. She has her moments, we can't let her outside when it is dark as she wanders off and can't see to find her way back. She is a little deaf, but seems to be able to hear the treat jar open just fine! ;)

We joke that she has got a new lease on life since being here and enjoying the fresh country air. She out did our Cav Gypsie (who is 7) when we went camping, Maddie ran the whole time :)

post-15490-0-08699000-1315014608_thumb.jpg

My eldest dog Sally died 5 weeks ago, 3 months short of 17.

Her pal Zoom is still going strong at almost 16.

post-9713-0-81753400-1315043887_thumb.jpg

This was taken 11 days before she died.

She wasn't sick until the very last day - slept a lot in the last few months, but still did her zoomies outside when I got home from work! :D