Name Some Dog Myths

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That setters are stupid - especially the red ones :thumbsup:

And Afghans too - they're apparently the stupidest or "blondest" dogs ever... "studies have shown". :rofl:

So say people who haven't lived with them! :rofl:

That it's cruel to keep Malamutes in Australia, because it's nothing like Alaska!

And that Bull Terriers will kill your whole family! Heard this one recently :thumbsup:

Edit: adding another

Edited by ravenau1

My dog is definitely part Ridgeback, because when he/she gets angry the hair stands up along his/her spine :rofl::rofl: :D

Hear this all the time :thumbsup:

One that always cracks me up is that SBT, AST & APBT's (actually any breed with a large skull) heads will get bigger once the skull splits and fuses back together larger - there are actually websites about this!!!

OMG, I have heard that too :)

The stupidest one I have heard is that : If you want to train a dog anything you need to break their spirit first :(

Ummm... no :(

Dogs will often eat a 'flavour tab' (or similar type of worming etc) OUT OF YOUR HAND - uhhhh nuh :thumbsup:

My retards will eat anything if they have to sit for it.

Oh a peice of barkchip or a leaf.. Mum said I have to sit..

Oh it's not edible.. No wait; i sat for this; so i am eating it!

Mine wont eat pills out of your hand - but if you go to give it to one, and drop it, the other runs in and grabs it.... i had to sedate Atlas once, and dropped the tablet, kaos got it... was a very boring night with two dogs knocked out :rofl:

And that Bull Terriers will kill your whole family! Heard this one recently :rofl:

oh? should I go and wake up Atlas and tell him to get to work? :D

Dogs with light or yellow eyes are evil.
Don't trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Oh noes!! *glances nervously at the evil yellow-eyed, orange eyebrowed dog sleeping at her feet* :)

I've had friends say to me, "Rottweilers are guard dogs, not pets"

And it's not exactly a myth but I had a VET ask me, "Maltese come in black don't they?" :) Uhh....no.

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!

Myth: If a bitch is mated by a crossbreed she will always produce crossbreeds.

:) Damn that magical crossbreed sperm, ruining purebred bitches all over the place.

:) I don't know how you can laugh about this... its a epidemic!!

Those nasty crossbreeds, ruining purebred bitches everywhere....

:):rofl:

If a dog's tongue hangs to the right side; he is right handed

left side is lef handed..

Dogs can be right or left pawed but I don't think tongue-hanging-side would have much to do with it. :)

Terriers are hard or impossible to train.

(and that's why you never see any cute terriers on TV, the movies or agility comps - NOT).

:) Poor Gracie, mustn't be a terrier then after learning to sit the day after we got her in about 5mins...

Dogs with light or yellow eyes are evil. (even ANKC standards perpetuate this one. :rofl:)

Thankfully the Aussie Shep standard states any eye colour is allowed, hard to get a dark eye on a red Aussie.

Don't trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Then you sure can't trust the majority of Aussie Shepherds then... Those evil tan eyebrows!

That blue eyes ALWAYS mean the dog is blind in the blue side ( or totally if they're both blue). Or that blue eyes means the dog is smarter.

ETA Also that Dalmatians CAN'T EVER eat meat because it will make them sick and might kill them.

Had the blue eye thing with Holly.

Is the Dally thing to do with the stones?

That dogs are omnivores... :)

Could you elaborate?

Well it's a scientific fact that dog's are carnivores!

Dogs have teeth and digestive systems almost incapable of digesting or absorbing nutrients from vegetation or grain. (omnivores?)

And their DNA is 99.8% identical to wolves, which are carnivores.

And contrary to popular belief, internationally recognised wolf expert, David Mech, has proven that wolves don't eat the stomach contents of their prey - they shake it out and eat the lining.

You need to put powder between the wrinkles of a shar pei to stop skin problems apparantly.

Badboyz - I was just going to add this one! That you need to wipe between pei wrinkles! Or that adult pei's are always super wrinkly (I don't know how many times I've had to say 'no my pei is purebred, it's just grown up'! because people are so used to seeing the ads on TV with the rolly puppy)

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

I know someone who used to beat his dog after it escaped the yard through a broken gate, so it would cower when it returned from a visit to the neighbours French Poodle. I told him to fix his gate. His argument was that he didn't need to fix the gate because his dog "knew" it was wrong to leave the yard.

no such thing as a "French Poodle" :) Poodles are commonly held to have originated in Germany