Name Some Dog Myths

That dogs are omnivores... :rofl:

Could you elaborate?

Well it's a scientific fact that dog's are carnivores!

Dogs have teeth and digestive systems almost incapable of digesting or absorbing nutrients from vegetation or grain. (omnivores?)

And their DNA is 99.8% identical to wolves, which are carnivores.

And contrary to popular belief, internationally recognised wolf expert, David Mech, has proven that wolves don't eat the stomach contents of their prey - they shake it out and eat the lining.

Dogs can and do eat vegetable matter.

just look at the main ingredients listed on dry food packets.

In most cases the first and main ingrediant is cereal or grain.

I have always fed my dogs vegetables as part of their diet and they have all lived to ripe old ages.

Yes, but they do not eat enough plant material to be scientifically classifed as an omnivore. I think the original point was 'is a dog an omnivore or carnivore'.....they are carnivores regardless of if u feed them veges or not. :)

Mine likes Snow Peas and will raid the fridge to get them! hehe! :birthday:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall wild dogs grazing, farming or picking fruit. Their teeth are constructed to hunt and chomp muscle tissue and bone, not grind up grains. They have claws to grab prey, not suited to manipulating fruit. Their short digestive system is indicative of specific adaptation to meat consumption, and the enzyme make-up of their digestive is not suited to digest starch or carbohydrate. Manufactured dog food is about maximising profit margins and human convenience, and the cheapest way to provide bulk in dog food is to use a cereal crop. Its only through a laborious factory process that this "food" is remotely palatable to the dog.

Remember, to be classified as a carnivore, an animal only has to have meat as its primary food source. There are sub-categories with differing levels of tolerance to other food sources. For example, dogs are more tolerant than cats.

You can't housetrain an old dog (bulls---).

Dogs need to have a litter to be better natured (makes me oh so angry).

And I can't stand men who want their dogs' balls left on because they are somehow related to their own set.

My dad is exactly like this. He will not desex his dog, even though his Kelpie x just "sired" a litter because my dad lets him wander and he got to a kelpie bitch down the road :)

I had a go at him and I said whats happening with the puppies and hes all "oh i dont know what shes doing with them" he doesn't claim any responsibility to anything at all Arrrgggghh

Only male dogs “hump” because they are trying to mate.

Heard this today when a female golden retriever tried to hump Riddick. Her owner goes "oh we think she has some crossed wires, she always tries to hump things cause shes confused."

I don't recall wild dogs grazing, farming or picking fruit. Their teeth are constructed to hunt and chomp muscle tissue and bone, not grind up grains. They have claws to grab prey, not suited to manipulating fruit. Their short digestive system is indicative of specific adaptation to meat consumption, and the enzyme make-up of their digestive is not suited to digest starch or carbohydrate. Manufactured dog food is about maximising profit margins and human convenience, and the cheapest way to provide bulk in dog food is to use a cereal crop. Its only through a laborious factory process that this "food" is remotely palatable to the dog.

Hear, hear! A dog is a carnivore, with a carnivore's digestive system, a carnivore's teeth. You can't say your dog is an omnivore when it's scientifically proven that they're not. Yes, of course they will eat fruit, vegetables and grain if that's what we feed them - just as we can eat processed food and sugary junk, even though it is not good for our bodies and will likely cause issues in the future. My own dog will graze on the apples and plums that fall from my trees - he loves the sugary sweetness. His body uses none of it - it all comes out the other end, looking quite similar to when it went in.

Hear, hear! A dog is a carnivore, with a carnivore's digestive system, a carnivore's teeth. You can't say your dog is an omnivore when it's scientifically proven that they're not. Yes, of course they will eat fruit, vegetables and grain if that's what we feed them - just as we can eat processed food and sugary junk, even though it is not good for our bodies and will likely cause issues in the future. My own dog will graze on the apples and plums that fall from my trees - he loves the sugary sweetness. His body uses none of it - it all comes out the other end, looking quite similar to when it went in.

Tell me. What will happen if i feed my rabbit meat?

Dogs are not *obligate carnivores* (like a ferret or a cat) but they are carnivores! Meaning that they can digest vegetable matter too (unlike the ferret or the cat)

Is your dog a wild dog? Wow! Even though my Samoyed is one of the most closely related domesticated breeds to a wolf, he has over years and years of eating the scrap food of his people developed teeth to grind vegetable matter.

I said this in a post yesterday, I'm just so amazed at how many people think their own dogs are so unevolved!

Who are they getting this information from? People on dog forums? or scientific research found somewhere other than the internet?

Edited by Bindii

Tell me. What will happen if i feed my rabbit meat?

Dogs are not *obligate carnivores* (like a ferret or a cat) but they are carnivores! Meaning that they can digest vegetable matter too (unlike the ferret or the cat)

Is your dog a wild dog? Wow! Even though my Samoyed is one of the most closely related domesticated breeds to a wolf, he has over years and years of eating the scrap food of his people developed teeth to grind vegetable matter.

I said this in a post yesterday, I'm just so amazed at how many people think their own dogs are so unevolved!

Who are they getting this information from? People on dog forums? or scientific research found somewhere other than the internet?

Better watch out Bindii.. if you annoy someone they might grab Hugo and hold him upside down!!! Don't you know his eyes will just pop right out! :thumbsup:

My dog is definitely part Ridgeback, because when he/she gets angry the hair stands up along his/her spine :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Obviously my purebred JRT must be part ridgeback too... lol

Don't trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Wow...that must mean my mums black and tan Cav is pure evil :rofl:

All labradors love other dogs and are really playful and friendly towards them (with no effort on the owners part)

That is because Labs are the perfect dog, and because Goldens are just 'long haired labs' that also makes Goldens the perfect dog, which means you can bring your grotty little 2yo up to pat (or you could call it attack) he when she is obviously on a training session

Both my dogs will eat an unflavoured capstar tablet out of my hand :o They WILL eat ANYTHING ;)

Well they are Cavs after all !!! :(

I have to agree with this. my mums Cavs will eat anything lol...but I can also say the same about my Goldie

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

Sadly my dad still believes this 'theory'

And it's not exactly a myth but I had a VET ask me, "Maltese come in black don't they?" :doh: Uhh....no.

Oh you can if you cross it with a black poodle :wave:

BIGTIME MYTH: You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Whoops, someone forgot to tell my 8.5yo JRT this before we enrolled for beginners agility...we are onto intermediate now!!

When people find out I have a purebred entire dog: You know if you breed it you will make loads of money! ;)

Oh thats right, and if you breed it with a poodle you can sell it to anyone for a lot more money because they dont shed!...but you need to make sure its a purebred poodle, wouldnt want any little crossbreeds now would we? lol :wave:

My own dog will graze on the apples and plums that fall from my trees - he loves the sugary sweetness. His body uses none of it - it all comes out the other end, looking quite similar to when it went in.

How do dogs get fat on supermarket kibble?

I have used carbohydrates (from grains) strategically to improve brain chemistry in some dogs who do not function well without them.

When I first got my dobe I was told many things by all the concerned neighbours etc. Firstly that dobes always turn on their handlers - guaranteed. Heard lots of stories of this happening to friends of friends.

Secondly that this was likely to be because of the fact that his brain would continue to grow after his skull finished making him go mental.

I now know it's because he has brown eyebrows...

Desexing will resolve behavioural issues by itself is one that gets me every time.

My sister owns a Papillon and really does believe that it speaks French :thanks:

On the family ones, if you get two puppies from the same litter they will get along and won't fight...

Edited by jacqui835