Desperate! Long Term Boarding Or Foster Care

fiery_di

I understand the Sydney area is bad?

I don't know where this idea comes from. Depending on where you want to live... AND keep your pets.. it isn't that difficult to find a rental in Sydney at all. I am in a 3br house, garage, decent size block etc in a nice area where MANY people are renting with dogs.... and I'm only 10mins from Parramatta CBD.

It took looking at 2 houses and that was it. We were actually offered both but chose this one as it had more space.

Yes, I had the same experience. Admittedly it was some years ago, but it took just one phone call from me. The person I was looking for had 4 dogs, and she had 4 houses to choose from. And that was in the inner west. She ended up in a large house with a huge back yard and a very large undercover deck at the back.

Edited by Mother Moocher

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rent but can completely understand why home owners wouldn't want animals in their homes.They say kids and pets are being knocked back at the moment, presuming for the same reasons, the mess they can make.

I guess there has been numerous situations where the renters have left the property in appalling conditions and its not worth the home owners time to consider pets when there is plenty of renters who don't have pets.

Edited by chelle~aussie~dragon

I rent but can completely understand why home owners wouldn't want animals in their homes.They say kids and pets are being knocked back at the moment, presuming for the same reasons, the mess they can make.

I guess there has been numerous situations where the renters have left the property in appalling conditions and its not worth the home owners time to consider pets when there is plenty of renters who don't have pets.

Well, as we've been tenants, home-owners and propery investors (and I've spent two years as a property manager), let me say that I prefer to take each person as I find them. Just because some tenants are irresponsible with their dogs doesn't mean we all are; our former PM allowed a previous tenant to keep a dog and it was a complete disaster but that was due to the type of person the tenant was and nothing to do with the dog, per se.

We have an application in at the moment and are working on a second one...the first house is with 3 agents and one says "no pets" but the other 2 agents seem ok with pets, therefore I summise it's not necessarily the owner saying no pets. There are some pretty *stoopid* property owners out there who clearly believe that all pet owning tenants are just completely irresponsible and unworthy of renting their (often shitty) properties. And yet there are some delightful owners out there who understand that some people who have pets are clearly very responsible and deserve the right to rent a property they own.

Had we (a) not made a loss on the sale of a property and (b) sold our block of land which has been on the market for 2.5 yrs, we would not be renting but purchasing. But that's life and we're quite happy to rent for a couple of years. We are excellent tenants who care about other people's properties and treat them as our own. We also just happen to have 3 dogs and NO kids. :eek:

I understand the Sydney area is bad?

I don't know where this idea comes from. Depending on where you want to live... AND keep your pets.. it isn't that difficult to find a rental in Sydney at all. I am in a 3br house, garage, decent size block etc in a nice area where MANY people are renting with dogs.... and I'm only 10mins from Parramatta CBD.

It took looking at 2 houses and that was it. We were actually offered both but chose this one as it had more space.

I agree...I live in the inner west, maybe a 10 minute drive to the city in a nice area in a 3bed house with a study and garage and a big yard with 2 dogs.

I looked at maybe 5 houses and applied for 2, I didn't have any references either - left them all in NZ (dumbass)!!! Admitedly though this house is not through a property manager but directly with the landlord which makes it easier when you meet the owner rather than them choosing from a piece of paper.

Edited by lanabanana

I was offered 2 other houses for rent last week.. both allowed dogs and cats. Nothing overly flash, but not hovels either... depends on how much you want to keep your dogs I suppose.

Inner city... LOTS of people live and rent there with pets... just that the rent is horrendously expensive whereas it's cheaper to live west of parramatta.

The area we are looking to live is Chippendale/Alexandria roughly.. This is close to Scott's work without the hassle of an hr drive minimum to commute each day. We are currently living in Nth Parra & peak hr traffic on the M4 even at 6am in the morning is a BITCH, including the peak hr commute at 6pm in the evening.

Most of the properties I enquired about did not allow dogs, there were few & far between.. Working in the industry myself I understand that there are alot of re agencies/property managers that just dont want the hassle of tenants with dogs/cats so have their own 'policy' and that sometimes is NO PETS stipulated on all their properties even if the landlord said that it is ok in regards to pets. My last RE agency that I worked at was a prime example of this and they were PENRITH based!! :shrug: Strata is another issue altogether.. BUT fortunately the property we are going for is a terrace, so is torrens title.. Phew..

The other agent that is advertising the property made a boo boo & put that it is 2 bathrooms, when it is only one. He has made a few mistakes regarding the property, so hopefully this puts fwd our case to manage & tenant the property altogether.. Fingers crossed.

Edited by fiery_di

Good luck with the search Di. I know of 2 others is situations where they are desparately seeking rentals too and are not having much success. I think it is amazing the way that conditions these days encourage open days on rentals! How bizarre. It is lucky that you have some insider knowledge that will help you both. I've got everything crossed for you.

As you may remember i recently found myself looking for somewhere to rent that would allow pets and not just one or two (I have 2x chooks 6X rabbits 1x cat 1x dog a cockatiel and 2 turtles and are on a waiting list for a new puppy also) After offering above advertised rates on several properties with no luck i was getting really worried about what was going to happen to us (I also am single mum to an 11yo daughter)

I decided to write a letter of application to go with my application form and over a long weekend applied for 7 properties sending each a copy of the letter detailing my work (vet nurse), referances for my pets and that i had a policy of honesty in regards to my animals and hoped they would consider my application .

To my surprise i was offered 5 of the houses two of those i was offered where advertised as "no pets".

The rental availability in my area is well below one per cent and i had been told by welfare agencies and the housing trust that my animals would have to go as i didn't have a hope in hell of finding housing with that many pets

sometimes it pays to think outside the box

The area you are looking is a very very tight market at the moment and prices are, on average $520 for a 2 bedroom house in average condition. Chippendale is impossible due to Uni students - very little comes up there. Alexandria is the current hot spot for renovators/ first home buyers so you either get run down places or renovated places with a higher price tag.

In saying that - there is quite a few places in this area that allows pets as it is a very pet friendly area.

If you go to Kogarah, Earlwood or Ashfield then there is a lot more available which are pet friendly.

Most of the agents around here do not advertise properties as pet friendly so you need to ask.

Also close to Ashfield you could try Haberfield, Five Dock, Russell Lea and Leichhardt.

You will pay around $600 for a 3 bed maybe (that's what I pay in one of the above 'burbs) but they are all nice areas and very accessible to the city.

We are trying not to move too far out of the city as I currently dont have a car, and Scott has the biggest shit fight on the M4/Parramatta Rd most mornings & every evening, which even from Ashfield leaves him with 1hr grid lock traffic.

We also want to minimise the amount of time that Coco is by herself during the day. Currently we both leave for work at 5.45am in the morning & dont often get home till 7-7.30pm most nights. I really dont think that would be fair on her, hence why Chippendale is our current pick. I would literally walk to work, and it is only 5mins from Scott's work outside of peak hr traffic, thus also avoiding the nightmare that the M4 has become. Has anyone notice how bad the M4/Parramatta Rd is even on a weekend now??? I am horrified!! Went to a baby shower a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon (shower started at 2pm in Lane Cove but we needed something along Parramatta Rd along the way) and it literally was peak hr gridlock traffic.. :laugh: They really need to do something with that road. It is horrendous!!

We are trying not to move too far out of the city as I currently dont have a car, and Scott has the biggest shit fight on the M4/Parramatta Rd most mornings & every evening, which even from Ashfield leaves him with 1hr grid lock traffic.

We also want to minimise the amount of time that Coco is by herself during the day. Currently we both leave for work at 5.45am in the morning & dont often get home till 7-7.30pm most nights. I really dont think that would be fair on her, hence why Chippendale is our current pick. I would literally walk to work, and it is only 5mins from Scott's work outside of peak hr traffic, thus also avoiding the nightmare that the M4 has become. Has anyone notice how bad the M4/Parramatta Rd is even on a weekend now??? I am horrified!! Went to a baby shower a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon (shower started at 2pm in Lane Cove but we needed something along Parramatta Rd along the way) and it literally was peak hr gridlock traffic.. :laugh: They really need to do something with that road. It is horrendous!!

Hey Di, I am thinking of getting a scooter. If you move to Chippendale, a scooter would be ideal as the second vehicle for you. Only around $3k brand new.

Most of the agents around here do not advertise properties as pet friendly so you need to ask.

Did a mass enquiry (about 60-70) out the other day through Domain just asking for pet friendly.. There were probably about two or three which gives room for back up!

Can you catch the train???

It takes 30 mins to get from Parramatta to Central vs. 1+hr via car.

Yep, I currently catch the train.. Takes me 20mins to walk to the station, then prob about 35-40mins from Parra to Museum thereabouts!! :rofl: Just work loooong hrs.. :laugh::rofl:

Getting very excited, PLUS anxious about the meeting with the Landlord this morning. The ppty mgr is going to have me sit in the mtg for the first 5-10mins so the landlord can meet me.. My tummy is doing flop flops.. :rofl: Mtg is at 10.30am.... I feel like 'Blackboard' from Mr Squiggle.. Hurry up!! :laugh:

Hey Di, I am thinking of getting a scooter. If you move to Chippendale, a scooter would be ideal as the second vehicle for you. Only around $3k brand new.

I would so consider this. I think it is a really good idea. Petrol costs are minimal, as are maintenance & rego.. Plus parking is a breeze!! :rofl: