Desperate! Long Term Boarding Or Foster Care

fiery_di

Things have reached a head with Coco... Apparently, she had a fight with another dog at Scott's mum's place and we have been given the ultimatum that she has to go...

Link to previous thread posted about Our Predicament

We are looking at breaking our lease & finding a 'written consent to have 1 x dog' place, but this takes time, and just awaiting a cheque for a decent amount of funds to cover the moving/potential of also paying two rents for a couple of weeks until tenants are found for our old place.

Has anyone put their dog into long term boarding around the Sydney/surrounds areas? What are the costs associated? Anyone know any foster carers that might be able to care for Coco until we receive our funds (supposed to be pre end of financial year for tax purposes) and can find another place?

Scott is picking her up today... We cannot have her at the house as we are on our last warning until we have a 2 wk termination issued for having breeched our tenancy agreement in regards to having a pet on the premises (Bobby, who has sinced passed away).

Edited by fiery_di

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, a lot of people work fulltime without access to the internet during business hours....you'll need to be patient.

You have a few alternatives before the shelter, go and pop her in a kennel for now and until you've had a good think about it.

I'm not sure a foster carer will be able to help you as you have stated the dog is being moved on as it's being involved in fights and many foster carers have other residents dogs and you have stated in the other thread that she is a yapper and a whinner.

What Breed is Coco....you may also like to tell people more about her.

Edited by sas

Right, as you can imagine I am quite desperate as these things do take time.. I do understand that people work full time. I also understand that I need to put a sense of urgency on the matter as I need to get something sorted sooner rather than later.

As described in the previous link I posted. Coco is a 6yr old female mini foxie - de-sexed & micro-chipped. She has lived with other dogs in the past with no major issues (lived with 4 x other dogs on property - ranging from MFT, Iggy, X Kelpie & Rottie). I am really not sure if this 'supposed' fight with the other dog is a one off. I also dont really know if the 'supposed' fight is an attempt for us to remove Coco from the premises as we keep getting conflicitng stories as to why she needs to be removed from the 'witch' of a sister's boyfriend supposedly having allergies (when there are also 5 other dogs on the premises, but Coco is the only cause apparently), to this apparent 'fight'. We can only take the person's word that this is the case, although it isnt very reliable given the circumstances with the sister.

I rescued Coco through Pet Rescue back in April 05 so as you can imagine I feel like absolute shit right now & sick to the stomach.. This was not supposed to happen...

Hi Di,

I haven't had to go through long term boarding. Besides a kennel service, there are also doggy minding services where the dog stays in a person's home, there is sometimes a banner add at the top of the DOL page. I am not sure what the costs are. Another option is that one of the Dolers runs a kennel not far from Nepean, can't think of the name but people speak very highly of it.

Good luck

I know its not ideal but if you want to put Coco on a plane to Wagga Wagga, I can look after him until you are in a better situation. Might be cheaper than boarding.
I am in brisbane. If you would consider her coming up here I can have a chat to my family and see what they say.

Does she require any medical treatment?

I would definitely consider either option. Coco has never had any ailments in the 5yrs that she has been with me. In fact she is the most easy care dog I have owned.

If either of these options are viable I would be more than happy to organise Coco to either of these places, plus pay for her food/personal care (worming, bedding, etc) and any vet bills IF she may require any.

Some kennels will take long term boarders. Some dogs cope quite well as long termers others don't quite have the same resilience. Most kennels would allow you to visit and take the dog out for the day as well if you wanted if you explained the circumstances I'm sure.

Oh, Di...

Firstly, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your boy was on the way to the Bridge...but you must be very sad at his passing nonetheless. :laugh:

Secondly, get Coco out of that situation. Anything is better than where she's been.

Now, as to the Notices to Remedy Breach, under what circumstances were they issued? Did your landlord direct the agent to issue them? Is your landlord even aware the Notices were issued? What have you actually breached, your lease agreement or the Body Corporate's odd rule that no pets are permitted in the complex? Did you say someone else there has a pet? If so, are they also being required to remove the pet from the property?

I'm sure you said that your pets were approved in the lease agreement - if so, I'm wondering how you could have been in breach o f it???

Anyway, get Coco to safety - she'll be fine for a couple of weeks in a kennel as you try to sort out another rental.

Brisbane seems to have lots of pet-friendly rentals and some do let dogs indoors. The only problem is that the property managers here almost never reply to e-mails or return phone calls. I wish I was joking. :D

It will all work out. I know you're feeling distressed and probably panicked, but trust that things will work out. I wish we could take Coco even temporarily but as we are looking to move soon, it's just not possible. :rofl:

I recently looked into the cost of boarding a small dog and it was $30-5 per night plus it's school hols soon.

Start with Ronda, I'd always want to know if one of my former rescues was in trouble (in fact I have and I went and got him back - his owner had become terminally ill and the family was going to euth him in spite of having my contact details).

You've had some great offers here, if Ronda can't help then you still have a couple of offers of assistance which is great.

It is awful to be in such a situation but hopefully you can find somewhere better in the not too distant future and get your dog back home where she belongs.

I've boarded Bailey for approximately 5 weeks before while we were overseas. It was a sort of a 'board and train' thing where his trainers will drop by every evening and give him a training session. Besides that, he had his daily exercise time with other dogs at the kennels and had staff play balls/frisbees with him every 2nd day.

He came back perfectly fine and was alot more obedient as well. :laugh:

Good luck with looking for a solution. I'm sure you'll be able to work something out.

Dont fret pet and there are a few other websites that link you to people who look after dogs in their home. Think they are about $50 to join and then whoever looks after them sets their price. I know some people who have used it and has worked well.

Ok, well we dropped Coco off at her local vet last night to board until we have something a little more longer term. She will be there till Sunday, then another DOLer has very very very kindly (I am so grateful to this lovely person) offered to have Coco until we find a pet friendly place ourselves!! Coco will be on 110 acres (which she is so used to as she was just recently on 100 acres) where she will most likely feel very at home.

I was up till 11.20pm last night (I get up at 5am every morning) on Domain looking for 'pet friendly' places. I seriously must have emailed approx 60-70 places enquiring if pet friendly or not. There were about 2-3 places that advertised pet friendly so as you can imagine they were hotly & frantically emailed too!!

I havent heard back from Ronda, but as I have heard the poor love is back working full time and is extremely busy right now, so once Coco is transported to the new place I will email to let her know the good news..

So now it is just following up on the RE agents & a bit of a waiting game!! Fingers crossed we have the situation sorted.. :thumbsup:

Ok, well we dropped Coco off at her local vet last night to board until we have something a little more longer term. She will be there till Sunday, then another DOLer has very very very kindly (I am so grateful to this lovely person) offered to have Coco until we find a pet friendly place ourselves!! Coco will be on 110 acres (which she is so used to as she was just recently on 100 acres) where she will most likely feel very at home.

I was up till 11.20pm last night (I get up at 5am every morning) on Domain looking for 'pet friendly' places. I seriously must have emailed approx 60-70 places enquiring if pet friendly or not. There were about 2-3 places that advertised pet friendly so as you can imagine they were hotly & frantically emailed too!!

I havent heard back from Ronda, but as I have heard the poor love is back working full time and is extremely busy right now, so once Coco is transported to the new place I will email to let her know the good news..

So now it is just following up on the RE agents & a bit of a waiting game!! Fingers crossed we have the situation sorted.. :laugh:

better give me a ring