Feeding Dogs A Vegan Diet....

Dame Aussie

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years for ethical/health reasons and recently became vegan. After a conversation with an aquaintance, I got to wondering what peoples opinions were about feeding dogs a vegan diet?

I would never do it, but was speaking to someone who does and says if done properly it's fine.

So anyone here know anyone who has their dogs on a vegan diet? What do you think about it? Is it wrong?/stupid/possible/irresponsible?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it wrong?/stupid/possible/irresponsible?

All of the above IMO!

I respect vegans/vegos for making that lifestyle choice for themselves but they shouldn't force that onto their pets.

Edited by huski

If you absolutely have to feed a pet a vegan diet then buy a rabbit or guinea pig and rehome the dog. It's unfair at best and abusive at worst to feed a vegan diet to a dog.

Alternatives include feeding the dog with responsibly farmed and slaughtered meat.

You said exactly what I was going to say. :laugh:

For a cat it is even worse.

From what I understand, Dogs should eat meat. They need it.

Seriously... dogs are animals, most dogs I know will happily roll in some filthy, rotting smelly carcass of god knows what dead thing :laugh:. They aren't and will never choose to be vegan. Again any dog I know is going to pick a steak over a carrot any day.

In my opinion, You should pick whatever way of feeding your dog that you think is healthiest. Not just impose your own human beliefs onto a dog and potentially harm them.

However, that said, I suppose if you could provide some kind of vegan alternative that would cover everything a dog needs in its diet, I wouldn't have a problem with it.. I would still think its silly though.

Edited by lovemesideways

From what I understand, Dogs should eat meat. They need it.

Seriously... dogs are animals, most dogs I know will happily roll in some filthy, rotting smelly carcass of god knows what dead thing :laugh:. They aren't and will never choose to be vegan. Again any dog I know is going to pick a steak over a carrot any day.

In my opinion, You should pick whatever way of feeding your dog that you think is healthiest. Not just impose your own human beliefs onto a dog and potentially harm them.

However, that said, I suppose if you could provide some kind of vegan alternative that would cover everything a dog needs in its diet, I wouldn't have a problem with it.. I would still think its silly though.

My thoughts exactly. It may "work" but it's not in the best interests of the dog.

I'd say do a search but I think everytime this topic comes up it ends up getting deleted :laugh:

I'm in the minority, I think IF you can meet your dogs nutritional requirements by feeding vege/vegan and you have a mind to then go for it.

Edited by haven

There are vegan dog foods you can buy that pass AAFCO standards so technically are balanced for your dog, as far as science can achieve.

I certainly believe that a species appropriate diet, including raw bones, is optimal for a dog. But I don't think the vegan kibble is any worse than the crappy supermarket kibble that hardly has any actual meat in anyway (although it will probably cost 20 times the price!)

I'm vege too, but my animals aren't - the compromise I make for my animals is to try to avoid buying them meat from inhumanely raised animals. From what I have observed when working on farms, sheep, cattle, & free range chooks & pigs have a much nicer time of it than battery chicken or pigs. So I avoid buying anything except byproducts from battery chooks or pigs. And I'd love to find a good & reasonably priced dog food made from meat raised in NZ, because I know we have much stricter welfare codes than many overseas countries do for their farmed stock. So perhaps that is something you can suggest to your friend - trying to do her best to source humane meat for her animals, rather than making them vegan.

If you absolutely have to feed a pet a vegan diet then buy a rabbit or guinea pig and rehome the dog. It's unfair at best and abusive at worst to feed a vegan diet to a dog.

Alternatives include feeding the dog with responsibly farmed and slaughtered meat.

Totally agree.

In the the wise words of Shirley Valentine....in the hilarious movie of the same name....."Your a Bloodhound..not a Yoghurt Hound.."as she gave a dog she was minding a hunk of red meat instead of yoghurt as instructed by its ditsy owner...

Think it was on one of those Animal cop shows - technically dogs can live without meat in their diet but they wont necessarily thrive but cats must have meat or they get somethng nasty wrong with them and die.

Like others eat whatever you like yourself but dont push your choices onto a prey animal indeed buy something that grazes and thrives on plants.

In the the wise words of Shirley Valentine....in the hilarious movie of the same name....."Your a Bloodhound..not a Yoghurt Hound.."as she gave a dog she was minding a hunk of red meat instead of yoghurt as instructed by its ditsy owner...

LOL My dogs love yoghurt and I feed it quite regularly :laugh: But they also get lots of other raw meaty stuff.

I think it's taurine that cats must have in their diet.

ETA: I think I started the last vego thread, and it's still here!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=181174&hl=

Edited by huski

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years for ethical/health reasons and recently became vegan. After a conversation with an aquaintance, I got to wondering what peoples opinions were about feeding dogs a vegan diet?

I would never do it, but was speaking to someone who does and says if done properly it's fine.

So anyone here know anyone who has their dogs on a vegan diet? What do you think about it? Is it wrong?/stupid/possible/irresponsible?

I'm a vegan and I think your question is bloody ridiculouus. Does that answer your question?

I'm a vegan and I think your question is bloody ridiculouus. Does that answer your question?

I agree! I wouldn't do it, just wondered if anyone on here did..

We were created with different teeth for a reason. Dogs have the teeth of a carnivore therefore they have the digestive system to consume meat. It is cruel not to provide what nature intended. Don't force personal beliefs onto another who doesn't understand unless you can provide actual pro's and no con's of doing so.