My Vent

I have a trainer at the moment who, I feel, doesn't really want to train me and Emmy. Not sure it is because when I took her class with Charlie, that Charlie was so good that he picks things up quickly... so when she come around to me to see if I need help, most of the time, I don't. Charlie is the easiest dog to train ever.

This time around, Emmy is not Charlie. Emmy is very smart BUT she is harder to train. I really do need her help and advice in training Emmy, but it's as though she doesn't want to help. When she comes around, I ask her.. she is like 'well, Emmy is still a puppy' or 'she will get it when she is older' ... yet she is willing to spend 5 minutes chatting with another person who has a puppy who is a few weeks older than Emmy on different ways on training their pup?

I have a trainer at the moment who, I feel, doesn't really want to train me and Emmy. Not sure it is because when I took her class with Charlie, that Charlie was so good that he picks things up quickly... so when she come around to me to see if I need help, most of the time, I don't. Charlie is the easiest dog to train ever.

This time around, Emmy is not Charlie. Emmy is very smart BUT she is harder to train. I really do need her help and advice in training Emmy, but it's as though she doesn't want to help. When she comes around, I ask her.. she is like 'well, Emmy is still a puppy' or 'she will get it when she is older' ... yet she is willing to spend 5 minutes chatting with another person who has a puppy who is a few weeks older than Emmy on different ways on training their pup?

tell your trainer what you have just written.

Jacqui

I agree with Poodlefan. Find a trainer who can help you get the best out of Emmy.

I had a similar experience with Daisy - very smart but not easy to train with conventional menthods and our puppy school teacher was totally useless and didn't help us at all - I thought it was because she didn't like me or Daisy but in hindsight I think it was because she didn't acually know how to handle or train a dog like Daisy.

The two trainers I have worked with since then have been amazing and always willing to help me, understand my dog and know how to help me get the best out of her. They also know that there is no one way to train a dog and they were able to identify what would work best for Daisy and I.

If you arn't happy definatly find someone else.

I ran into a trainer awhile back who told me spitz breeds where impossible to train and I should give up now :laugh:

Not a good attitude to have in a trainer.

I've seen some gorgeous work from a spitz. Sadly was retired early due to HD but mouth watering heelwork!!!

I ran into a trainer awhile back who told me spitz breeds where impossible to train and I should give up now :laugh:

Come to our club!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I agree with the others - if you're not comfortable with the trainer, go somewhere else.

I ran into a trainer awhile back who told me spitz breeds where impossible to train and I should give up now :D

What a crap generalisation to make! And what a way to treat someone who you're supposed to be helping! Unbelievable.

Guess I should just give up on trialling Jedi - what was I thinking?! :laugh::o

Edited by TerraNik

I agree with the others - if you're not comfortable with the trainer, go somewhere else.

I ran into a trainer awhile back who told me spitz breeds where impossible to train and I should give up now :D

What a crap generalisation to make! And what a way to treat someone who you're supposed to be helping! Unbelievable.

Guess I should just give up on trialling Jedi - what was I thinking?! :laugh::o

I know, it really annoyed me at the time too.

I always take the opinion that you can train any dog.

Some may be harder than others or some may make you think to find a way that works for them and they understand. But all are traininable.

Some breeds have their idiocyncrasies, some are easier than others. I like the harder ones as they make me think more!

Find a trainer that is willing to try their hardest to help and will be happy to think outside the square. Thay may never have trained a Spitz before but should be willing to help you to succeed

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Guess I should just give up on trialling Jedi - what was I thinking?! :laugh::cheer:

I know, it really annoyed me at the time too.

I had the same with my Siberians and that trainers comments towards them was "They are only programed for one thing - running". I soon found someone better to train with

I had the same with my Siberians and that trainers comments towards them was "They are only programed for one thing - running". I soon found someone better to train with

Could say the same thing about my Whippets, but they are fantastic workers. Need to find someone who can help instead of not even wanting to try.

Some may be harder than others or some may make you think to find a way that works for them and they understand. But all are traininable.

Some breeds have their idiocyncrasies, some are easier than others. I like the harder ones as they make me think more!

Find a trainer that is willing to try their hardest to help and will be happy to think outside the square. Thay may never have trained a Spitz before but should be willing to help you to succeed

She has admitted that she rarely had to work with spitz breeds... and if so, she worked with them when they are older and more settled.

I would have thought that was a reflection on their skills as a trainer.

She has admitted that she rarely had to work with spitz breeds... and if so, she worked with them when they are older and more settled.

The spitz dogs I've had were never a problem - challenging, yes, a problem no. I also had a kelpie that I trained too - and she was way more stubborn than my spitzes!

She may not have worked with many Spitz breeds - neither have I, but she should be prepared to at least try and try different things to help you. I had not had a lot to do with Sibes, but we had one with a owner that had a whole lot more of an idea than me, and together we ended up having a very enthusiastic dog that did mostly wonderful recalls , occasionally he would go "Chile" on us, but never ran away just did a little zoomie. He also worked well off lead and was a very obedient boy. He taught me a lot and now if I ever get presented with another I will have a little bit more of an idea.

Your trainers problem is she is not prepared to think outside the square, take on a challenge and try to learn something. I find that a bit sad really. Nothing I like more than trying to find something that will work on a particular dog.

I was told Whippets can be hard to train and forget a reliable recall, we my Whippets are amazing to train and have a much better recall at a much better age than my Dobes ever did. It is best not to go in with pre-concieved idea me thinks!

Hope you find a trainer that will be able to help you.

I know how you feel, when ask them about what I could do for my pups biting and barking, I have had trainers and vets say "well shes a labrador, what do you expect?!" which I find quite unhelpful. One vet even told me I was crate training wrong because I am trying to make the crate a nice place for mindy (she has her meals, treats and tpys in there etc). She said I should just lock her in as she needed to know it was a place for sleeping only? Where as everhting I have read says the opposite.

I currently have a pretty good puppy school teacher though who is quite helpful and always responds to emails, phone calls etc. and has given me some good tips.