Pet Insurance

heroeswit

I'm just interested in which pet insurance is used most by DOLers and why?

I want to get Pet Insurance for my new puppy that i get in a couple of months.

if this has already been discussed please point me to it but I couldn't find it.

thanks everyone

i have medibank private health insurance for myself and they give a discount if you get your pet insurance with them also...so we have raz through medibank private on the silver plan (middle of the range) paying $12.88 a fortnight

I have medibank private for all mine cost me about $27 a fortnight for three dogs. We have the silver plan have not made a claim yet but I found them the best value at the time and have been with them for well over 12 months now.

I pay under $40 a month for Jet. I think he is on the top or medium cover with PIA. Never made a claim but customer service has been good. I have heard a lot of positive things about them.

I have Medibank.. They have been awesome, turn around time from when I lodge a claim to having the cheque in my mailbox is approx 10 days...

Always very helpful... Cost approx 250.00 per dog per year on the silver paw plan (accident and illness cover)

Pet Plan here. Have made over $2000 in claims and we never have any problems. They are a little slow at reimbursing though (about a month). They are one of the few that will continue to insure for chronic illnesses - thank goodness!

Get the breeder of your dog to sign up with PETPLANS breeder programme then you get

6 weeks free of insurance when you get the puppy home.

I think you can then pick up a brochure from a vet clinic during the 6 weeeks and when you upgrade you can get

four weeks free.

BB

Pet Plan here. Have made over $2000 in claims and we never have any problems. They are a little slow at reimbursing though (about a month). They are one of the few that will continue to insure for chronic illnesses - thank goodness!

I have also made probably about $2000 worth of claims and its about to go up by another $2000 or so for allergy tests and desensitization injections.

I'm about to sign up with medibank and i'm just trying to work out if i'll go with the $500 or $200 excess. Would anyone want to hazard a guess as to the average cost of a trip to the vet for a typical accident or injury?

Depends on the size of your dog as many things are related to size eg doses of drugs/tablets.

My Whippets tend to be around the $80 to $120 mark. I have $100 excess. I probably would go for the $200 excess as $500 is still a fair bit to find out of the blue.

I have also only had visits for toe sprain and limping, no problems with dog fight stitch ups and possibly a very low likelyhood of happening. The main reason I have mine is for broken bones, snake bites and stitch up for tears - from sticks etc.

Im with Medibank for my 2..

I have the $200 excess on my Great Dane and the $500 on my GSD. When I signed up my rationalisation was that Danes are more prone to problems, hence why I went for the lower excess...

Low and be hold, the active GSD is more of a problem. :mad

When my plan is up for renewal I will be changing to both $200.00 I did the maths and it is approx $80.00 more expensive for the year to claim $300.00 back so if you make one claim you will be $220.00 in front (hope that makes sense). If you can afford it I would do the lower excess..

Most of my bills come in around the $300.00 mark (99.99% of the time after hours vet visits)

I cant remember what my excess is...will have to find out

how do you make a claim? out of curiosity

those on the medibank silver does that cover regular hospitaly visits or only accidents/emergencies/sickness? i cant remember

I chose PIA (Pets Insurance Australia) as it did not have the same restrictions as some of the other regarding injuries to certain larger breeds or age cut off dates. this suited me as I have a large breed.

I pay my premium yearly $355.20, which provides my dog with accident and illness cover up to $15000.00 per year. The cover is for 100%, and for each claim I would pay a $250.00 excess.

I also have the option within that policy of paying $100.00 excess, and my policy price would lift to $439.20 I am actually thinking of altering my excess option at next renewal, but for dogs over 5 year of age, they must have the $250.00 excess cover.

I have put in a couple of fairly minor claims and have found them to be very easy to deal with.

I cant remember what my excess is...will have to find out

how do you make a claim? out of curiosity

those on the medibank silver does that cover regular hospitaly visits or only accidents/emergencies/sickness? i cant remember

Silver is accident and illness only. Doesnt cover vaccinations or general check ups, however if you go to a checkup and have a specific problem you want to talk to them about and it eventuates into a claim then you can claim that intial consult.....

There is a claim form that you need to get your vet to fill out, you sign it and attached a copy of the reciept and then they pay. Sometime you need to sign a waver at your vets to give them permission to share information with the insurance company. You can nominate a cheque or directlty into your account. I put in a claim on 15th June and I recieved my cheque yesterday (23rd) ... Make sure you read the PDS thou, They are really helpful on the phone aswell, I havent had any problems with them..

They pay 100% of claims minus the excess for a value of 10,000 per year and 10,000 for anyone claim.. That means that say your dog/ cat got cancer, they will pay 10,000 for that claim and no more as long as you havent made any other claims in that year.. (hope that makes sense)

You can get the Gold to include $60 worth of elective stuff, i.e vaccinations, flea treatment etc, but I think it cost more than $60.00 in the premiums..

Edited by Gilypoo