Dog Toys

I'm looking for some durable and safe toys for my dog.

Currently I have 2 Kongs, a tug rope toy, a squeaky bottle (with the safe squeaker) AND a plush rainbow thing with unsafe squeakers (which is only used for supervised play time.

At the moment the yard is awash with the guts of the cheapo toy my sister in law gives her dogs (which in turn obviously get shared with all the dogs.) I want something safe for my dog to play with. Any ideas??

Akira's favourite thing to play with funnily enough is a 2L coke bottle. We take off the paper and let her play. She never chews on it (if they do, you have to be careful because the plastic can be sharp) but if they're content on just chasing them like she is, they're the perfect toy because you never know which direction they're going to go in and VERY cheap. ;)

Other than that, we have kongs and stuffed toys, which she loves but are easily destroyed.

Anything from Aussiedog. http://aussiedog.com.au/

I bought the puppy pack before Tia was born and a few more toys soon after. Tia is now 8 and I haven't had to replace any of them. I've bought a lot of soft toys over the years and now have a huge box of toys waiting to repaired (and that's not counting all those that I threw out.)

I like the Triple crown everlasting treat thing. It is the blue one. I break a 4x2 biscuit into sections and shove it in by itself or with a little bit of kibble and a small smear of vegemite or peanut butter. You can also buy the treats that are made for it but I find the 4x2's last a good while if you keep the pieces as big as you can whilst still being able to fit them in the treat ball. They (4x2's) are good in the Kongs, too.

My dogs love the Tuffy toys. They are not cheap but they last so long you end up saving money in the end. I have had the mega ring for about 5yrs now. It has lasted through two Rottys, a Lab and quite a few foster dogs. They have only just managed to get through one corner of the outside layer. There are something like 5 layers of it. It was buried somewhere at one stage and then one of the fosters dug it up about 3 months later. Still all good. They are washable too if you are into that sort of thing :rofl:

And, they have awesome styles. I love the Lobster!

http://www.dogtoys.com.au/

I certainly wouldn't reccommend the barnyard tuff toys ( pink pig and sheep) as my then 6 month old schipperke puppy ripped holes in the pink pig and my 8 month old brittany puppy pulled the sheep apart. They sound good in theory but aren't worth the money and I certainly couldn't find several layers in mine.

We bought our Lab a toy yesterday, looked good and tough but has almost been destroyed, it was from BW, looks like a big dumbell and makes a sort of groaning noise when tipped up and down, sadly he really loves it but looks like being put in the bin today as I don't want him choking on the thing inside it, its hard to find toys they really like.

Must have a look at the Tuffy toys.

lablove

My dogs love the Tuffy toys. They are not cheap but they last so long you end up saving money in the end. I have had the mega ring for about 5yrs now. It has lasted through two Rottys, a Lab and quite a few foster dogs. They have only just managed to get through one corner of the outside layer. There are something like 5 layers of it. It was buried somewhere at one stage and then one of the fosters dug it up about 3 months later. Still all good. They are washable too if you are into that sort of thing :cheer:

Yes my 3 pointers kill EVERYTHING and I have found the tuffy toys to be fantastic too ! They have survived here for over a year now and though they are expensive to buy it is well worth the money. I did have a problem with the largest purple lobster, they ripped his head out but are still playing with the rest of him LOL !! The mega ring hasn't even so much as lost any stitching, they are brilliant ! Go Tuffy Toys :rainbowbridge:

I found Orka chew toys, made by Petstages to be great! They are chewy but durable, and they have a few different shapes with ropes or heavy duty canvas strings through them. I only managed to buy two before not being able to find them anymore though. Of all the toys bought for our ridgy these are the only two still in one piece!

Have a look here!

Rat

Edited by Lab_Rat

I found Orka chew toys, made by Petstages to be great! They are chewy but durable, and they have a few different shapes with ropes or heavy duty canvas strings through them. I only managed to buy two before not being able to find them anymore though. Of all the toys bought for our ridgy these are the only two still in one piece!

Have a look here!

Rat

I bought Riley the Jack one but he wasn't really interested in it. I think I should of got the one with the rope in it too though. I've just looked into stocking their range, so we're trying out the rag rope ball at the moment

Edited by wagsalot

Zola has the Jack - with the rope, but the rope has gone now :love: and she did have the grippa with the little ropes through it. That has dissapeared somewhere?? She loved both of them to bits, alot more than other chewy throwy type toys.

I like that they make them in different sizes for different sized dogs!

Rat

My dogs love the Tuffy toys. They are not cheap but they last so long you end up saving money in the end. I have had the mega ring for about 5yrs now. It has lasted through two Rottys, a Lab and quite a few foster dogs. They have only just managed to get through one corner of the outside layer. There are something like 5 layers of it. It was buried somewhere at one stage and then one of the fosters dug it up about 3 months later. Still all good. They are washable too if you are into that sort of thing :rofl:

Depends on the dog I guess, I had a mega ring too, it's one of their toughest rated toys but it only lasted with my mal and sibe for a week. And that was when the mal was 1yr old and the sibe 4mths.

I have 3 of the cuz "devil" toys. The first one the dogs chewed and ate the feet and horns. I cut them off the second 2 so they couldn't eat the rubber. All 3 are still intact a year on, minus their feet and horns. I have 2 of the black extreme kongs which are also still intact. And the best one is a BIG red hard ball that cost a heap, can't remember the brand but they are toys designed for the melb zoo lions. Only problem with the red ball is it can't be picked up and once it rolls down to the fence line it gets forgotten about till someone brings it back to the top of the yard for them.

Edited by dee136