Smelly Puppy

I agree with what the others have said - no malaseb unless he has a diagnosed skin problem- and the shampoo has been recommended for this .

Keeping hair around his mouth short may help a lot :)

get a vet check to see if he does, indeed have a yeats infection, or something elses the matter.

his own smell may smell to you like meat- but perhpas that is just his smell?

and

"does it matter?"

Yes, because it is part of this forum's rules.

Forum Rules and Terms of Use (last updated 5th June 2010)

Our aim is to try to provide the highest quality community experience for all of our members. The following guidelines have been formulated to try to achieve that aim.

By using this forum, you agree to and accept these rules and terms of use in their entirety.

General items you need to know before you do anything else

•This site was created for pure bred dog discussion

The primary purpose of this forum is to promote and discuss pure bred dogs (as recognised by the ANKC) so we ask you respect our aim when visiting here. If you own a cross breed dog, you are also welcome here, but we ask that you refer to it by it's proper name (eg a pug-x or cavalier-x instead of the designer term 'pugalier'). Please do not start threads asking what breeds people think make up your cross-bred dog or to express your outrage at the latest designer dog you saw. We prefer to concentrate our discussion on the pure bred dog (ANKC recognised).

Hi

Yeah the vet suggested that Malaseb would not hurt to try, we had the vet check his skin and ears for signs of infection but all checked ok.

It maybe his own smell but i would like to be sure there is nothing wrong as he does scratch a fair amount and nip a his paws, there is no sign of fleas at all and he is upto date with flea control (Advantage)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats because a labradoodle isn't a breed, so you refer to your dog on here as a lab cross or a poodle cross, the other is just a stupid made up name for a dog that is not a pure breed

does it really matter?

I am sure people get what the dog is by the so called stupid name so where is the problem?

Yes it does

The problem is that this forum does not promote cross breeding, like it or not, your pup is a cross bred (but Im sure a very cute one). Now because this forum doesnt promote cross breeding we arent allowed to refer to designer breeds by their silly made up names, your pup is a Labrador x Poodle, you wont have any problems on this forum if you call him this, if you insist on calling him a Labradoodle you wont make many friends

Blunt and to the point I know, but its better being out in the open now, you will get a lot of very good advice from the people on this forum so please dont let comments about your dog being a cross bred drive you away :), we are not pure breed snobs dont get me wrong, heaps of people on here own cross breds and love them just as much as their pure bred fur kids

As for the smell a few people have suggested clipping the fur around his muzzle to help keep it clean, Id probably do this

Hi

I am not arguing that he is a cross breed at all, more the fact of the name we call them thats all

As i said forum rules are forum rules

Definitely have him go to a groomer soon-ish for his first 'puppy groom'. The aloveen smells really great too- even a few days to a week after washing.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Hey Cosmolo

Thats an idea, i thought he may have been to o your for a groom just yet but i will book him intoday

Thanks

If he is nibbling at his feet , etc- he may well have an allergy, and sometimes where they chew leaves saliva, which then , if there are enough bacteria.. can smell. :)

if so, then the fun starts! NOT.

Trying to find teh source of allergies is usually not easy ....

The more you wash a pup- the more natural oils etc are removed from the skin/coat, and the less protection the pup has against things which can affect skin .....

Edited by persephone

Welcome gelnncol. :)

If he's not been to the groomer yet, book him in NOW. He's going to need grooming for the rest of his life so its best to get them used to it young.

I second this 100%, I work at a grooming salon and Labrador x Poodle's are some of the most difficult dogs to do if they are not use to getting groomed. :rolleyes:

Yeah the vet suggested that Malaseb would not hurt to try, we had the vet check his skin and ears for signs of infection but all checked ok.

it's like taking antibiotics for the sake of it. Malaseb is way too strong for a normal puppy skin no wonder he's smelling or chewing his feet. You're killing off the natural flora that lives on the skin and creating more stink from the inbalance.

Use the aloveen if you absolutely have to, and trim him up to allow some oxygen near the skin as well. I would be simply wiping him down with non scented baby wipes if he gets a bit grubby, you shouldnt be shampooing on a regular basis unless the dog is absolutely reeking from rolling in something.

A pup that is being washed in Malaseb and top spotted for flea control is under chemical assault. This could be part of your problem.

If fleas are not an issue where you live, I highly recommend discontinuing the flea treatment (use it only if required) and switching to a far more gentle shampoo.

ETA: If the smell and the oilyness of the coat persists, I'd be wondering if you may not have a pup affected with sebaceous adenitis - a health issue not unknown in poodles and their crosses. However in a dog so young, a yeast infection is more probable. I'd suggest removing all gluten from his diet.

Edited by poodlefan

Welcome gelnncol. :)
If he's not been to the groomer yet, book him in NOW. He's going to need grooming for the rest of his life so its best to get them used to it young.

I second this 100%, I work at a grooming salon and Labrador x Poodle's are some of the most difficult dogs to do if they are not use to getting groomed. :rolleyes:

Cool, i have booked him in for this Satureday, turns out a girl that my wife goes to gym with has been doing these guys for years

it's like taking antibiotics for the sake of it. Malaseb is way too strong for a normal puppy skin no wonder he's smelling or chewing his feet. You're killing off the natural flora that lives on the skin and creating more stink from the inbalance.

Use the aloveen if you absolutely have to, and trim him up to allow some oxygen near the skin as well. I would be simply wiping him down with non scented baby wipes if he gets a bit grubby, you shouldnt be shampooing on a regular basis unless the dog is absolutely reeking from rolling in something.

I am stopping the Malaseb as of now, bloody hell you seem to get different views no matter where you go but i am going to eer on the side of caution

A pup that is being washed in Malaseb and top spotted for flea control is under chemical assault. This could be part of your problem.

If fleas are not an issue where you live, I highly recommend discontinuing the flea treatment (use it only if required) and switching to a far more gentle shampoo.

ETA: If the smell and the oilyness of the coat persists, I'd be wondering if you may not have a pup affected with sebaceous adenitis - a health issue not unknown in poodles and their crosses. However in a dog so young, a yeast infection is more probable. I'd suggest removing all gluten from his diet.

Hi,

Thank you for the heads up

you seem to get different views no matter where you go but i am going to eer on the side of caution

:rolleyes:

yep.

but think about it.

A 14 week old puppy skin is a fragile environment .

It has its own oils.flora and structure- it is a living microcosm , basically.

Attack it with something like malaseb - which is recommended for all sorts of fungal/bacterial/excess oil -producing disorders ..and the whole chemistry is thrown out of whack. :)

Human babies- are they bathed in anti-dandruff shampoo at a few months/years old? Nooooo.. they have very gentle and pH neutral stuff , because they have sensitive skin! Think of your puppy in the same vein...

A puppy has enough to deal with... vaccinations making its immune system work overtime- new environment-new foods, chemicals EVERYWHERE on/in the home ....

I am stopping the Malaseb as of now, bloody hell you seem to get different views no matter where you go but i am going to eer on the side of caution

think of it more subjectively. Read the lable on the bottle of Malaseb - it says for bacteria, fungus, yeast etc. Now, would you slather yourself in something like that if you had no problem? Or would you use a normal everyday shampoo? Same with the dog.

Let me guess the same vet sold you a bottle for about $20 odd dollars?

you seem to get different views no matter where you go but i am going to eer on the side of caution

:o

yep.

but think about it.

A 14 week old puppy skin is a fragile environment .

It has its own oils.flora and structure- it is a living microcosm , basically.

Attack it with something like malaseb - which is recommended for all sorts of fungal/bacterial/excess oil -producing disorders ..and the whole chemistry is thrown out of whack. :o

Human babies- are they bathed in anti-dandruff shampoo at a few months/years old? Nooooo.. they have very gentle and pH neutral stuff , because they have sensitive skin! Think of your puppy in the same vein...

A puppy has enough to deal with... vaccinations making its immune system work overtime- new environment-new foods, chemicals EVERYWHERE on/in the home ....

Yeah i dont dissagree, poor little bugger

think of it more subjectively. Read the lable on the bottle of Malaseb - it says for bacteria, fungus, yeast etc. Now, would you slather yourself in something like that if you had no problem? Or would you use a normal everyday shampoo? Same with the dog.

Let me guess the same vet sold you a bottle for about $20 odd dollars?

Lol no actually the vet didnt have any.

Welcome gelnncol. :o

I second this 100%, I work at a grooming salon and Labrador x Poodle's are some of the most difficult dogs to do if they are not use to getting groomed. :eek:

Cool, i have booked him in for this Satureday, turns out a girl that my wife goes to gym with has been doing these guys for years

I think your puppy should be very happy to have you as his owner.... :o

Edited by Tokkie