Tennis Balls Ruining Dogs Teeth?

Dame Aussie

Was speaking to a friend whos Mum has a BC x that is ball obsessed. Apparently she lost almost all her teeth quite young (She's around 8 now) and they were told it was due to the tennis ball being in her mouth all the time!

I'm just wondering if this can happen? Lili LOVES her ball but I'd hate to see it ruin her teeth! If so, are other balls made of rubber etc ok instead of the tennis ball?

Does anyone know?

Apparently the rubber is abrasive in normal tennis balls, there are some balls out there (Like the Kong brand tennis balls) that are safe for dog's teeth.

ETA: Actually it might be the felt that's abrasive rather than the rubber.

Edited by amypie

Apparently the rubber is abrasive in normal tennis balls, there are some balls out there (Like the Kong brand tennis balls) that are safe for dog's teeth.

ETA: Actually it might be the felt that's abrasive rather than the rubber.

Thanks amypie...no more tennis balls!

It also depends on how tough the dogs teeth are. Some Borders have chalky teeth that wear down very easily. It isn't a common problem but one that is know to occur. No idea what causes it because it occurs randomly and does not really seem to be an inherited trait. I have seen dogs with no points left on any of their teeth by the age of four.

I heard that tennis balls are bad because so much dirt etc gets stuck on the ball and then that acts like sandpaper on the dogs teeth. I hadn't heard about the glue being bad before, so that is interesting to know!

One of the pups from my first litter had very flat teeth by the time she was an adult (young teeth have softer enamel) and the vet said it was dirt getting into the ball.

However, all my dogs are ball obsessed but none have any noticeable flattening of their teeth. Maybe I have different dirt or keep the ball cleaner but I have no problem with tennis balls. That said, rubber balls can be found fairly easily.

My girl who is ball obsessed has very worn down canines. One of them is actually broken off because she used to play with golf balls! But she is 9 now and her teeth are very clean and she has no dramas with them. I wouldn't deny my dog the pleasure she gets from playing with tennis balls because her teeth might wear down.

Tennis balls hold all the dirt which is what will wear the teeth down...

Any object which rubs against the teeth again and again can also wear teeth... so it can happen with a rubber ball as well, basketballs are apparently particularly bad as well.

But weigh up the risks.. my gsd still has his tennis ball.. it just is only for supervised play and I try and keep it as clean as possible :o

I heard that tennis balls are bad because so much dirt etc gets stuck on the ball and then that acts like sandpaper on the dogs teeth. I hadn't heard about the glue being bad before, so that is interesting to know!

I heard it was the dirt that gets stuck on them too. But surely any ball that that is used extensively is going to cause wearing.

I heard something about the glue and rubber on the balls... Apparently it does something to the teeth but it would be interesting to get more opinions. My dog chews them up within minutes so I don't give them to her anymore.

Tennis balls will wear dogs teeth down, but then again, so will carrying around house-bricks so it's hard to say what caused my GSDs teeth to wear so badly...

:laugh::laugh: - could have been the house bricks, Aidan :o

Tennis balls will wear dogs teeth down, but then again, so will carrying around house-bricks so it's hard to say what caused my GSDs teeth to wear so badly...

:laugh::laugh: - could have been the house bricks, Aidan :o

I shall stop playing fetch with them then!