Feeding Puppies Chicken Wings

Hi all

I have heard conflicting stories about feeding puppies chicken wings and wondering if it is ok?

If ok do you feed them the whole wing or part of it? or more to the point is there a part that should not be feed to them?

Edited by garyc

Mine have chicken wings from the time they are introduced to solids, that has included the Pugs and the Staffords. They gummy them to death for the first few weeks but quickly get the hang of it.

You can try wing tips for the tiny dogs, but I've not found that necessary, mine have them whole.

Agree with the other posters - my pups always get chicken wings (not necks) - a lifetime of good dental care! :eek:

ETA: Toy breed - 1.8kgs at 8 weeks - chicken wing takes all day!

Edited by t-time

Yep here too we feed them whole - bashed up a bit to get them started early on but by six weeks they are chewing madly. I avoid necks after that age as they begin to hoover them up and no chewing happens! (That is a cattle dog though LOL)

Go for it and just supervise closely if you are at all concerned.

S

Agree with the other posters - my pups always get chicken wings (not necks) - a lifetime of good dental care! :mad

ETA: Toy breed - 1.8kgs at 8 weeks - chicken wing takes all day!

:o:o

I gave Pele (Bull Terrier) chicken wings from the day she came home at 8 weeks with no problems, but they didn't take her all day unfortunately :laugh:

I found chicken wings way too small & easy for my stafford pup, he would basically snort them :o

When we upgraded him to the bigger and slightly more challenging Turkey wings he was one happy camper :laugh:

I fed Pepper chicken wings from about 6 weeks old (when I rescued her) - then one day she swallowed it whole then gagged but before I could react she vomited it back up, looked at it in surprise (Like "Oh goody ANOTHER one!") and ate it again properly. I gave her bigger ones and whole carcasses from then on.

oh Spottychick - Pepper sounds like a character!

I would bash wings with a meat tenderiser for Kuma - he's not a big chewer and would try and swallow them whole. Once he got a bit bigger we moved onto rib bones and now lamb shanks.