Agility Training Talk Thread

You can buy those flat collars which have the dog's name and your phone number embroidered on them - might be an idea if you are really worried she might high tail it.

Don't worry even if she does run off - has happened to me many times :o

Oh yeah good idea! I think I even have one of those from a while ago :thumbsup:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or even a Boomerang tag might be acceptable. And they are pretty :) Good luck in your first trial!!

I'm having an absolute ball training up my new project. She did her first full sized tunnel with a slight bend in it last night laugh.gif 2o2o training coming along well, and restrained recalls with her are a hoot :D Not sure how her little legs make her go that fast eek1.gif Her tugging away from home is coming along too, yay! I'm still using a lot of food for training things like 2o2o but I'm hoping to build her tug away from home enough to carry over to rewarding for jumps and stuff :) Just wanted to share how much fun I'm having with her thumbsup1.gif

Or even a Boomerang tag might be acceptable. And they are pretty :) Good luck in your first trial!!

I am not sure what a boomerang tag is but no fixtures are allowed on the collar at all. A flat collar with a D-ring to attach the lead.

If you are concerned about your dog running off as a safety issue, the trial grounds tomorrow are fully fenced, so although it might be irritating that, in her excitement, she forgets to listen to you (I have gundogs - it happens to me all the time) it will not be unsafe. (I am assuming that sinced your address says NSW, your trial is at Manly)

Good luck, and may you come home with a "virgin quallie". They are rare. (Quallie at your first trial) Whatever happens, make it fun.

Cheers,

I am not sure what a boomerang tag is but no fixtures are allowed on the collar at all. A flat collar with a D-ring to attach the lead.

A Boomerang tag is a flat tag that threads onto the collar, so it doesn't dangle. Less dangerous than the D-ring on a collar, but if you say no fixtures are allowed then I guess these are disallowed as well.

Only example I can find of them in my photos (as my dogs very rarely wear a collar!) It's the flat shiny silver thing on Ruby's collar. This should be a dock diving thread, not an agility one :laugh:

404224_10150520924683036_1121197038_n.jpg

A Boomerang tag is a flat tag that threads onto the collar, so it doesn't dangle. Less dangerous than the D-ring on a collar, but if you say no fixtures are allowed then I guess these are disallowed as well.

Technically, it would not be allowed, but I doubt if a judge would notice it. The name and phone numbered collar is totally legal, so I would go with that.

Cheers,

some people run their dogs naked...

But my dog can be hard to catch when she's naked. I bought a really cheap flat collar especially for Agility.

You have to catch your dog and get it on lead *before* you leave the ring. Holding the collar with your hand doesn't count (but is often forgiven by the judge at Novice/beginners level). Sometimes the judge doesn't notice because the next dog can be lined up ready to go before you're out.

There are a few YouTube bids of dogs in accidents with collars on - someone posted one I while back? I use a collar with my girl - she has never run off but she has issues so I'm not willing to take a risk. I use a slip lead with my boy

Guest Panzer Attack!

Yay aussielover, hope you have fun and learn lots! :D

RS, we did tunnel with a bend for the first time too! And our instructor added a jump. Every lesson we have, I realise just how much stuff I have left to learn... Doing obedience and agility foundation at the same time hurts my brain too... But we are having a blast and that's all I care about. It'll be a long time before Scooter trials judging by his crappy handler LOL.

Good luck, and may you come home with a "virgin quallie". They are rare. (Quallie at your first trial) Whatever happens, make it fun.

Cheers,

LOL I've never heard that expression before!

I have Jovi's first trial in two weeks, I had entered one about a month or so ago but it got cancelled due to rain, so looking forward to this trial. Should be exciting, I am trying not to put any pressure at all and not go with any expectations but it's hard as she is extremely capable of kicking butt :p and she has had such an amazing start to flyball (only 4 comps with 4 firsts including a National) so she has spoilt me. I know I will be very proud of her regardless so just really want to go and have fun!

Regarding collars, for some reason I run my boy naked but Jovi with a collar....I will probably eventually remove the collar as well on her

Cheers,

LOL I've never heard that expression before!

I have Jovi's first trial in two weeks, I had entered one about a month or so ago but it got cancelled due to rain, so looking forward to this trial. Should be exciting, I am trying not to put any pressure at all and not go with any expectations but it's hard as she is extremely capable of kicking butt :p and she has had such an amazing start to flyball (only 4 comps with 4 firsts including a National) so she has spoilt me. I know I will be very proud of her regardless so just really want to go and have fun!

Regarding collars, for some reason I run my boy naked but Jovi with a collar....I will probably eventually remove the collar as well on her

I got one of those....my first ever agility trial & Bindi's first & we got a "Q" in Agility. It was like finding a gold nugget.....I was hooked from there on. Unfortunately the next two took a bit longer to get :laugh:

No quallie for us yesterday unfortunately but we were very close in 2 events which makes it even more annoying :laugh:

We nearly got a Q for snooker, getting maximum points in the first part (24) but then in the second part Mindy didn't jump through the tyre (but did everything else perfectly) because we have never practised the tyre at 600 height before so not surprisingly she ran through the bottom of it. Luckily we had a friend who happened to have a tyre in his ute! So we were able to practise before agility and jumping and she went trough the tyre fine in those :thumbsup:

We almost got a Q in jumping as well but unfortunately I didn't make a front cross in time which made Mindy run backwards over a previous obstacle. So annoyed with myself though because it was a pretty good run apart from that and she didn't drop any bars (which we have an issue with usually). It was funny though because after all these people came up to me and told me it was my fault the dog did a mistake and told me what I should have done instead :o

Agility wasn't that great, it was the last event at the end of a very long day for us and I think we had both lost the plot by then, Mindy did the first half ok but then decided she would just do the dog walk instead of the weaves :laugh: She missed her first weave entry but the second time did the weaves very well which I was pleased with. I also let her off the table before the judge had finished counting which was embarrassing!

Overall we had heaps of fun and I was really pleased with how she went, no dropped bars which is usually a huge issue for us, no running off and she ran much faster than I expected.

Hopefully we can do better next week. Proabbly should edit to say hopefully I will do better, Mindy was very good :thumbsup:

It was funny though because after all these people came up to me and told me it was my fault the dog did a mistake and told me what I should have done instead :o

Yeah you will get alot of that :) If the dog does something different to what we think we want it's guaranteed we did something to make it happen :laugh:

I am expecting to be told off at Jovi's first trial if I do something wrong, as all my trainers will be there :o

Well done! They always seem to shock us and make us feel bad for our own shortcomings :laugh: On wards and upwards! :D

Edited by tollersowned

Yeah, we both had fun which was the main thing and she managed the 600 height easily which I was a bit worried about so overall a great experience :thumbsup:

Excited for the next trial (next week :eek: ) even though I know we still have a bit of work to do...

Been doing a little more training and am halfway through the DVD - Foundation Jumping. Hudson is enjoying the grids so much, and it is great to see him really thinking about the task in front of him and working out how to get through to the end. :)

Hoping to have another session with my trainer tomorrow and see if we have made a few little improvements since last week. We are only leaning - both of us, and need to start working on some distance as I realised while trying to practice the slightly modified serpentine. But that might be just a little too much at the moment, my trainer got a little carried away because he was learning so quickly.. but I want to make sure we go about things the right way. :D

Aussielover - Congrats on a great trial! I am getting excited about competing already and I still have 4-5 months to wait!! I will have to start going to some trials instead of showing on the weekend to meet people, I don't know anyone who is into agility!

Aussielover - Congrats on a great trial! I am getting excited about competing already and I still have 4-5 months to wait!! I will have to start going to some trials instead of showing on the weekend to meet people, I don't know anyone who is into agility!

If you are new to trialing it is a good idea to go along to one & do some voluntary work, like lead stewarding. I found it helped to settle my nervous expectations a fair bit. You are there, working all day, getting to know & talk to the people, ask questions, take note of what the judges are saying in their briefings etc. I have been only trialing for a couple of years & still remember the panic & confusion over what I had to do, so I put together a page on my web site to try & cover most things you will need to know before you trial. I have left out one thing, though, & that is about getting your dog measured...must fix that :coffee: If you are interested you can find the page here Trialing for the first time

No quallie for us yesterday unfortunately but we were very close in 2 events which makes it even more annoying :laugh:

We nearly got a Q for snooker, getting maximum points in the first part (24) but then in the second part Mindy didn't jump through the tyre (but did everything else perfectly) because we have never practised the tyre at 600 height before so not surprisingly she ran through the bottom of it. Luckily we had a friend who happened to have a tyre in his ute! So we were able to practise before agility and jumping and she went trough the tyre fine in those :thumbsup:

I actually saw most of that run - it looked pretty impressive for a first trial effort. You and Mindy were working like a good team. Well done.

Cheers,

Yeah, we both had fun which was the main thing and she managed the 600 height easily which I was a bit worried about so overall a great experience :thumbsup:

Excited for the next trial (next week :eek: ) even though I know we still have a bit of work to do...

Congratulations :thumbsup: Sounds like you both had a wonderful time! Nothing wrong with staying in Novice for a bit either - enjoy the ride :D

Did a bit more training today working on a pinwheel after doing a few grids from susan salo's foundation jumping video.

I am finding he is starting to cut out on the jump and run over to me towards the inside of the pinwheel. I think this is because he is coming over for treats etc. He loves to play tug, but won't run towards the toy and pick it up, so can't use that as a target. He loves the table and will run towards the table if I ask, but also can't use this all the time or he will constantly be on the table!

Think I need to get some more basics under our belt.. hard when I can only go with this trainer - I am so lucky to have someone within 300km doing some agility! Maybe I will have to go book/dvd shopping!