Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: eben more congratulations, TO - that is seirously impressive.

Had a great training session with a visiting agiliteer (down here for a few months :thumbsup: ). For a whole variety of reasons, I tend not to be able to get a lot of high level training done at club, so it was fantastic to spend the day working our dogs (2 each). There were some distractions in the form of some cheeky magpies, some middle age guys playing lunchtime kick to kick, and then a group of soccer kids at the other end of the oval - but the dogs did really well. It's polishing training for Kirra ( just turned 11, and still totally cheeky and feral, bless her) - although we will have to do some weave training to prevent pop outs at pole 10.

But the best fun was being able to do sequences with my lil big man - 4 year old BC Rory, who has been busy with confotmation, obedience, tracking and Rally - but with whom I have done 2 x 2 weaves, Salo jump training, some contact plank 2o2o training, and some general foundation. Today was pretty much his first time at really trying t put it all together - and doing real contacts. He did have some boy brain moments - like charging straight through the breakaway tyre (ours is foam with magnets set in), and then trying to retrieve the foam tyre - silly boy :rofl: . But on the whole, he did great - really showed the value of foundation and component training. Still quite a lot of work to do on getting the switch appropriately from handler focus to obstacle focus. It was heaps of fun, and quite reassuring, since he's entered in his first Novice Jumping trial in a couple of weeks. :D

Oh how exciting, Tassie!! Your first agility trial with Rory! :D Sounds like you had a great session!

Oops I'm a bit behind with the congrats for TO and Jovi! Well done, guys!

E+H, great video, too! Hudson is so fast!! He looks like a heap of fun to run. Making me want that Aussie more and more laugh.gif

So Pippa and I have started doing more jump work this year (after spending last year focusing more on contacts and weave training for some reason). So here is Pippa doing a part of a course that the seniors set up last night. I broke it down so first time I did jumps 1-5 twice, then jumps 6-10 twice. Then I moved on to doing all 10, which is what the video is of :) I'm so pleased with her progress! Of course we did a better tunnel entry on the try that was not filmed! laugh.gif

:thumbsup: That looked lovely RS.

Had a good training session with the Rory man yesterday, though there's still plenty of room for improvement, and he's not proofed against distractions like a small BC running beside a bike, and a dog chasing a frisbee two hundred metres away eek:

Contacts were good though - not that he needs them for this trial, and obstacle focus was much better. He has a bit more speed than he and I quite know how to handle smoothly yet :laugh: .

• 2 weeks later...

:laugh: RS ... there may be video ... have to look at the camera tonight - too stuffed when I got home last night after a weekend of 19 runs with 11 year old feral Kirra, and 4 with Rory. :rofl:

Hmmm - Rory's runs - well - after the first one, he did stay in the ring (went to visit people a couple of times on the first run) - and he was really starting to understand the game, I think. But think of a teenage boy who learnt to drive an old ute in a paddock, let loose with a V* commodr on a race-track, and you have the picture - heaps of spped and power, not a lot of judgement, and steering ... mmmm .... undeveloped.

On the plus side - he gave me a lovely 5 obstacle lead out ... and he tried very, very hard to avoid some big tunnel traps on the last run of the day ... almost successfully.

I'm actually very happy with his start, for a dog that had nowhere near enough training. He's going to be a blast to run when we get our act together.

And the feral one :rofl: - couple of ADO Q - the one that gave her ADO5 she was the only dog in the ring not to DQ :thumbsup: , one clear JDM run jsut 3 seconds over time, and a lot of really nice stuff in her other runs. We ran Masters Pairs with a different partner - first Pairs run in 18 months for Kirra, and she had a blast - she was so good (no Q - too many bloopers :laugh: )

And best of all - The dogs really enjoyed what they were dong - and Miss Kirra has pulled up fighting fit and sprightly this morning. Only 2 bars down for the weekend - and they were my handling errors.

What a great weekend Tassie with the unlicensed teen and the feral wild child :thumbsup:

I'm working on speed and independence with my 2 using a few exercises. So far it's working really well and has them flying ahead of me doing jumps and weave poles without any support. I suspect it might blow their chances at our first trial for the year in April when they start picking out "lines" to run but so be it :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Well done, Tassie! Gosh I don't know what it feels like to run clear anymore, it's been ages since we have laugh.gif

On the weekend Millie blew an ADX pass by pulling out of the last weave, grrr!! (but hey, she got her entry which has been troublesome in the past, so yay). And Ruby blew a possible JDM pass by knocking one bar again! (I say possible as I don't know if she was in time or not laugh.gif) Had so many near misses in JDM with both girls, but so far that first pass card still eludes us! crying.gif And ADX well, I think we'll live out the rest of our agility career in there!

Got Pippa officially measured - 300 dog :)

Definitely not 300 grams, the little porker laugh.gif

She's 33.5cm. She looks so tiny compared to some other minis I've seen about, but according to the standard she's about right, it says bitches 33cm.

Gonna be so fun to run a littley!!

well done Tassie. Isnt it fun doing all those runs.Love to see a video of Rory doing his run.

Hey RS yep that elusive card will come when you least expect it and than they will come thick and fast after that first one

As long as you're having fun, RS, the Qs will come when you least expect them. Kirra and I had a real JDM drought for a while, then all of a sudden about 5 in a row - mind you, we're back to drought again now :laugh: .

Ok, folk - here you go - your Tuesday morning funniest home video. This is the first, third and fourth of my misguided missile's runs. I know he is really undertrained, so we're still very much at the beginning of our journey as an agility team, but I'm happy that I can see improvements from the first run (he stayed in the ring after that - always a good thing :laugh: ) - and I think there's quite a bit to work with - and most of all, we had heaps of fun.

I went to training last night and spent the first 20 min reviewing the speed/focus forward exercises we'd been doing the last few weeks. Very, very pleased with both of them - Zig picked up some speed and Em stopped looking at Mama and RAN :) I left them both alone in the weaves and they were nailing some very tricky entries - they do so much better when I'm out of the picture :o Ziggy hit the weaves at an awful angle and just about fell into the wrong side....he pulled himself up and you could literally see the cogs turning as he twisted himself hard to take the correct entry. Bloody brilliant that dog :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yay for both of them. I loved the mental picture of Ziggy's what the heck and then cogs turning moment - must have been lovely to see. Isn't it great when you're working on something and the pieces start to fall into place.

Kirra hits her weave entries so much better if I just let her go and trust her - and although Rory hasn't done them on a full course yet, his entries are better than hers - thanks SG for 2x2 :) .

I need to work on switching him from handler focus to obstacle focus and back - and I need to remember that he's not Kirra :laugh: - I really have to be careful about setting the line for him at the moment.