Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Tassie that was awesome laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif He was having a blast and he recalls off tunnels really well, can he teach Millie that? rofl1.gif

:laugh: RS, having messed up Kirra - former tunnel suck, now tunnel sooky la-la that needs to be baby-sat and driven into tunnels, I'm trying to strike a happy medium with the man. He really was such a good boy on that last course - there were tunnel traps everywhere, and he did try very hard :). For a boy with very little sequence and handling training, I was pleased with the effort.

I wish I had more time and space to be able to train him at home. Trained last night with a friend up on the oval at club - with footballers running all around :laugh: . He was really good about ignoring those. I'm working on verbal directionals, trying to set a very clear line (bit hard for me - means I actually have to remember where I'm going - and heavily rewarding him for the appropriate line. We were working on 'go ons' last night too - he tends to turn back to me when I'm not expecting it - fell over him last week, and nearly again last night. Silly boy.

Elsie is entered in her first trial, April 13 & 14! Wish us luck!

She was measured on Monday night too, she is 462mm :)

Good luck to you and Elsie! We'll be looking forward to hearing how you go.

She's quite a littlie, isn't she - but she always looks lovely and fit in her photos. So what height does she have to jump over there?

Good luck to you and Elsie! We'll be looking forward to hearing how you go.

She's quite a littlie, isn't she - but she always looks lovely and fit in her photos. So what height does she have to jump over there?

Thanks! I'm pretty nervous, it's been over a year since I actually ran an agility course in full LOL.

Yes she is small, not small enough for the mini height class though unfortunately! (mini is 430mm and less)

Elsie is in midi, so she will be jumping 570mm.

Gosh, 570 is big for her - lucky she's so athletic. Although there is an argument, isn't there, that they're bette off jumping higher.

I can imagine the nerves. At least I've been runing agility regularly, but Kirra is such an experienced dog - and a very different dog from Rory, , so I don't know whether that's a help or a hindrance. Have to keep reminding myself that I can't do the same handling for Rory.

It would be great if some Aussies could go over there - it's been great when NZ folks have come over here. Met some in Adelaide in 2007 - didn't go this past year, but everyone was pleased to see them there.

Gosh, 570 is big for her - lucky she's so athletic. Although there is an argument, isn't there, that they're bette off jumping higher.

I can imagine the nerves. At least I've been runing agility regularly, but Kirra is such an experienced dog - and a very different dog from Rory, , so I don't know whether that's a help or a hindrance. Have to keep reminding myself that I can't do the same handling for Rory.

It would be great if some Aussies could go over there - it's been great when NZ folks have come over here. Met some in Adelaide in 2007 - didn't go this past year, but everyone was pleased to see them there.

Kirra would have started on 570 wouldn't she Tassie? Piper did, I hated going back down to 500 and it still seems ridiculous that Jazz jumps less than her shoulder height.

Kirra would have started on 570 wouldn't she Tassie? Piper did, I hated going back down to 500 and it still seems ridiculous that Jazz jumps less than her shoulder height.

She was a late starter, Piper :D - started with the new heights - would have been 2006, I think. Ny first boy was a big Border Collie - 545 and very solid. I couldn't ever do competitive agility with him until the heights came down - he started training when the large height was 760 - which was sort of OK for the single jumps, but the triple bar spread, with the back bar at 760, and the big horizontal distance, was just beyond him. So we just played until he was 12, and Jumping came in. I ran him at age 12 and a bit in the first Jumping trial in Tas - first time he'd seen the flexible tunnel too :laugh: - and we had an absolute blast. (he was still jumping in UD at the time, so was in good jumping condition. I used to train with the UD jumps at 600.

I know what you mean about the ridiculous jumps - Rory only has to jump 400 in Rally, and Kirra only 300 :rofl: ... though I can see the logic there - makes it doable for veterans and/or less fit dogs. Thye can still play.

Yes it is lucky she is very athletic! Our UD jumps are even bigger, the scale wall is huge! She doesn't start working trials until she is 2 though.

The kiwis have really enjoyed their time at Aussie trials, if I can afford it I would love to go in 2014 (should start saving now lol)

Elsie is entered in her first trial, April 13 & 14! Wish us luck!

She was measured on Monday night too, she is 462mm :)

Have lots and lots of fun :thumbsup: Look forward to hearing how you went.

I remember returning to agility with Ziggy after a break of about 10 years - whoa - talk about shock to the system :laugh: My ACD had to jump the old heights too and I retired her early because of that damn spread - just impossible for a dog of her build to clear consistently.

Wet and windy here today and the dogs were FERAL despite a serious workout yesterday. Couldn't get any work done :laugh: So.....seeing as all the crates are packed up (no puppies or girls in season) I had Zig do a down stay whilst Em did her crazy version of perch work, followed by Em on a sit stay whilst Zig did his. Both very, very good after a little initial confusion so I might progress that exercise a little further. Did a bit of work on weaves downstairs when the sky cleared and they were both flying through completely independent of me.....need to work on angles again...

Dogs were still feral last night so I had one doing a sit stay whilst the other had to run into 2O/2O position - hilarious confusion until they worked out the deal :laugh: Then I brought them inside and we played the "find it" game with each dog having to stay whilst the other dog searched for the item. This was way too much for Ziggy who would bolt in an attempt to beat Em to the item. And he doesn't even like retrieving :rofl:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Just had to pop in here for a little Kirra brag. My lovely senior girl had lots of fun running some super courses at our March bonanza double weekend - in less than stellar weather :( . She's advertising for a better handler though, as I made lots of mistakes - some of which she let me know about in no uncertain fashion. :laugh: But she did have some clean runs - finished her ADO5 last weekend, and JDO5 this weekend. Clever little girlie. And best of all, she's pulled up absolutely fine after 19 runs the first weekend, and 18 this past weekend - well a couple of them were half runs, as I'd tweaked a hammie, so I aborted a couple of runs that were going nowhere. :laugh:

I trusted her more on her weave entries, and she didn't let me down - although she did pop at 10 one time - but in her defence they were wonky weavers :laugh: .

Oh, and the misguided missile has shown me that we have some serious work to do on installing some steering at speed - and he is speedy - and resisting tunnel suck. :laugh: But he did give me a couple of lovely long lead outs - including a 4 jump one with some slightly off angles, and he gave me a couple of nice finishing runs, and a couple of good responses to verbal directionals. So while there's plenty to work on, there's also plenty to work with.

That's wonderful Tassie - so glad Kirra is enjoying agility in her twilight years :thumbsup:

Think I've been doing too much "go" work with the dogs.....was running with them last night at training and they just could not cope with a rear cross on a straight line of jumps into a tunnel. They both looked at me like I was insane! Both did very well on the course, though....looking forward to our first trial for the year in a few weeks time :)

We're having such fun with our pairs of dogs, aren't we TSD. We switch over to conformation next Saturday, then Rally/Obedience for the next 3 weekends, then an agility trial again at the end of April. Hopefully I'll have at least a Beta version of some steering software installed by then :laugh: .

Yes, I'm so very grateful to have my feral little miss so enjoying what she's doing, and still able to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

We had our first masters jumping trial today and went well considering. No passes but the nasty little twists and turns we did pretty well, so I was really happy with that.

One nasty discrimination was 2 tunnels right next to each other touching at a 90 degree angle, nearly all dogs got the first one going to the left, but due to the angle when heading to the next one it was literally a blind entry, the dogs could only see the wrong tunnel directly in front of them not the (correct) one to the right. Hard to explain LOL Caught out a few dogs and Jovi headed to the tunnel she went in first time even though I spun her around trying to straighten her up, she put her head in the tunnel realised it was the wrong one and correct herself. So pretty happy with that :)

Somewhere along the line my non tunnel suck dog decided she wanted to blind cross me into a tunnel as well :laugh: Our only clear run she went over time which was a bugger but we were always going to push that one as it was 170m in only 40 secs, she would have full pelt around to make that time! The little fiddly courses with tricky parts will be our forte.

She was very all over the place though, need to work on her drive at comps and I need to pick and chose runs. Running from one ring to another with her is never going to go well when it's warm, I need to remember she is a dog that wants/needs a decent break between runs even though she seems fine.