Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might see if I can get to Durack to check it out next week.

Redlands was great, but I think I might need something a little more formal until Hudson starts respecting me a bit more and not so inclined to take off doing zoomies.

On that note - anyone know a really good trainer in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area - will travel if need be. I desperately need to fix this recall and get some respect from him. Tonight the other people noted he just is constantly looking at everything else + not at me like he should be.

I have tried to do the Recallers course but found it difficult without another helper.

Getting discouraged. :(

I might see if I can get to Durack to check it out next week.

Redlands was great, but I think I might need something a little more formal until Hudson starts respecting me a bit more and not so inclined to take off doing zoomies.

On that note - anyone know a really good trainer in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area - will travel if need be. I desperately need to fix this recall and get some respect from him. Tonight the other people noted he just is constantly looking at everything else + not at me like he should be.

I have tried to do the Recallers course but found it difficult without another helper.

Getting discouraged. :(

Oh don't get discouraged! I know how you feel sometimes though but if you keep putting the work in you will see improvement.

I can't believe how far Booker has progressed, in agility in a short time & also in obedience. Still a long way to go but every little milestone I'm happy with :)

I've only been to QAJDC at Durack so have nothing to compare with but I've found them really helpful & encouraging, especially for someone like me who is a total newbie to agility (& everything else!). Am thinking of going back out tomorrow night to watch some of their trial :)

Sadly I have to work tomorrow or I would come along and watch with you.

I know he is a smart dog and can learn, but its frustrating when I know he has it in him - but he was being downright naughty and not listening to me. :(

That was my same problem with Booker - I know he is a smart dog - but he was getting distracted by other dogs - I even started a whole thread about it! Slowly though & probably an age thing also he is improving - he is far from perfect but is giving me the attention majority of the time.

Great to some newbies to the sport :thumbsup:

E+H - can I suggest you look at Hudson's behaviour from a different perspective? I find it much easier to remove the emotion and think about it in terms of learning theory. If a dog does not do as he's told he's either confused or underpaid. So rather than saying he is being naughty, think about how much reinforcement he gets from you vs his environment. It's more complicated of course but this is coming from someone who's Dalmatian only wanted to pee on trees....I had to work out WHAT made him tick and HOW to get him to value interacting with me. I hope you find a good trainer and don't lose heart :)

I have been thinking that - it's just an odd one, he is SO food motivated on a day to day basis and is usually quite focused on me. But in an agility situation it's like his brain just goes and I could have a steak in front of his face and he would simply find a way to get around it to look at the other dogs.

I am going to have a good think about this and what to do next. I know I was having too much emotion involved, but I have been so excited to start training here - I just moved back and don't have anything else to look forward to right now. :) Its frustrating but somehow we will figure it out.

Not really that odd :laugh:

Remember that agility is highly arousing - lots of dogs "lose their heads" under those conditions. You need to create that sense of arousal away from agility and then work on impulse control in that environment. High energy tug games are brilliant for that. Keep asking Huddy questions - can you do this under these conditions? Keep it simple and don't allow him to self reward. Set him up so he either chooses to work with you - yay! Great treats, tug etc OR he chooses to ignore you - ah well. Nothing for you. He needs to be "winning" 7-8 times out of 10. So you need to make it easier or harder - this will change depending on his internal state (tired, stressed, focused, hungry, energetic) and the external environment (distractions, new grounds, different equipment) and you - if you are upset and frustrated or calm and relaxed - he will pick up your subtle and not so subtle cues and will react accordingly.

Consider his behaviour as nothing more than feedback - if something works then your training is likely to be on track. If something doesn't work it just means that the message is not clear. It's very hard but try not to let his behaviour impact on your ego or feelings of self worth. It's also completely ok to muck up your first performance dog. You will learn heaps. And you'll just make different mistakes with your 2nd and 3rd :laugh:

ETA: I just saw that there was a Novice course that you had a go at? In all honesty that is way too much for a dog new to agility - most of us do so much foundation work away from equipment wih youngsters as the most important part is getting from obstacle to obstacle rather than the jumps etc themselves. Again that is part of having your first agility dog - and it is perfectly ok to make mistakes :thumbsup: My goodness but I've made HEAPS!!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Jaana and I started a training/ agility class about 6 weeks ago. I really didn't think she would like it but she has suprised me and seems to really enjoy and tells the whole class regularly !

The one thing she was reluctant with was jumping on the table so when she finally did it she very happy :laugh:

CAM00331_zps49c0b61d.jpg

Edited by sparkycat

That is such a cute photo :-)

E+H don't be disheartened - TSD gave good advice but I also wanted to add Hudson may have been 'naughty' tonight because of the new environment and also maybe you were a bit nervous and he was picking up on that? Stick with it :)

Seems I killed the thread... oh well will try again :p

I love running Kyzer at training - but at trials he is a different dog... and lately has just been running out of the ring to find my OH - who he LOVES much more than bossy old me :laugh: (I accept that) so I figured I'll stop wasting my entry money for a bit :laugh: But my OH is now coming to training to learn how to handle both dogs so he can run Kyzer in the ring (his idea). We had fun at his first training - I taught him crosses and serpentines and some basics of weave entries - the dogs were a bit confused for a bit because I have only ever trained them haha - but adapted quickly (treats will do that...) he actually did better than I thought he would - guess it helps if the dog knows what they are doing - and he has been watching trials for a long time now.

SO my problem is that it's been so long since I was a newbie that I can't really remember the things I need to teach him! Any ideas?? :laugh:

:rofl: Nice one pie (and Mr pie :D ). Probably the important things are course walking and analysis, working out where he needs to be (or be heading for), acceleration/deceleration, identifying dog's commitment point so his cues can be fairly timely, keep an eye on the dog, set the line ... oh and the Stacey Peardot Goudy one - don't be frantic - no need for 2 frantic 'people' out there ......... oh wait ... this is my to do list :rofl: ... well - might help anyway.

Yeah I'm going to walk the Novice courses with him this weekend - see how he thinks he'd run it - going to enter some NFC novice runs first.

He seems to think he'll be able to beat Trixie and I... unfortunately he may be right :laugh:

Seems I killed the thread... oh well will try again :p

I love running Kyzer at training - but at trials he is a different dog... and lately has just been running out of the ring to find my OH - who he LOVES much more than bossy old me :laugh: (I accept that) so I figured I'll stop wasting my entry money for a bit :laugh: But my OH is now coming to training to learn how to handle both dogs so he can run Kyzer in the ring (his idea). We had fun at his first training - I taught him crosses and serpentines and some basics of weave entries - the dogs were a bit confused for a bit because I have only ever trained them haha - but adapted quickly (treats will do that...) he actually did better than I thought he would - guess it helps if the dog knows what they are doing - and he has been watching trials for a long time now.

SO my problem is that it's been so long since I was a newbie that I can't really remember the things I need to teach him! Any ideas?? :laugh:

This is awesome. Go Mr Pie. Josh (my OH) was going to try and teach Roxy (our staffy x) but she has been showing signs of having a bit of arthritis, so I am reluctant to put her into agility where it could inflame it.

Make sure he appreciates his hands!! Josh came to a few lessons with me, and came to a trial and he tells me off for pointing instead of using my whole hand LOL