Agility Training Talk Thread

I have a tunnel loper now too, sigh - when she started trialing she was so enthusiastic about tunnels she would run up the sides and move them if they weren't stretched out properly - might try the restrained recall idea - good one

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a tunnel loper now too, sigh - when she started trialing she was so enthusiastic about tunnels she would run up the sides and move them if they weren't stretched out properly - might try the restrained recall idea - good one

Make the tunnels really short and straight, then gradually lengthen them out - then add one jump and you can practice all your front crosses, rear crosses etc at flat out speed. Another tunnel at the other end makes it even more fun and, once you get bends in the tunnel, it's one of the best ways to train I am finding. Em is FAST on the flat and traverses rough ground/prickles/water like a rabbit x mountain goat x fish when retrieving. So I thought it might be that we hadn't done enough practice running flat out in agility and she had just got in the habit of loping - she's also a bit of a "worrier" and this is really helping her stretch out and relax. Also, a lot of our courses lately are control, control, control - my dogs get fed up with that so the 2 tunnels plus a jump is great for counteracting it.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Have you been training the SG Handling360 system?

I watched her videos about it last night - found them quite good (and much higher budget / fancier than the agility videos of old - haha). Is she doing an online course or something? How are people learning it? (Apart from the ones who went to the SG seminars last year)

How have you found it if you are learning it?

I have to admit that i'm the biggest sceptic in the world on this one. That said in trying to poke holes in it the more I look the more I find what she is doing is just AWESOME.

The dogs really love their words and are more confident as a result. Getting in front has never been a problem for me, but with this stuff I'm getting FURTHER ahead when I need to and in better position to give the dogs earlier information.

I haven't taken the whole thing on board just yet - I'm working on picking things and including them one at a time.

I don't like the blinds that much yet, but may still come around on them. :)

Interestingly my young dog has just COME ALIVE in the last week and a bit (it's been coming,but it's like someone has just flicked a switch.) Last night she was absolutely incredible, making CK (the dog in the video) look positively ordinary and CK was running well. :)

Fun times!

:thumbsup: Go the Wikki Woo :laugh: .

I haven't had a chance to look at the SG vids yet - long weekend this weekend - might get a chance. I'm doing courses - more obedience related but also good for training in general - at the Fenzi Dog Sports Academey - one with a working slot - so with being back at work, I'm struggling to keep up.

I'm hesitant about trying something really new at my age and stage of life :laugh: - not sure I'd be able to get my head around it and do it justice.

:thumbsup: Go the Wikki Woo :laugh: .

I haven't had a chance to look at the SG vids yet - long weekend this weekend - might get a chance. I'm doing courses - more obedience related but also good for training in general - at the Fenzi Dog Sports Academey - one with a working slot - so with being back at work, I'm struggling to keep up.

I'm hesitant about trying something really new at my age and stage of life :laugh: - not sure I'd be able to get my head around it and do it justice.

Tassie, SG calls it her 50/50 system (before it was called 360 handling) for those of us over 50 or 50lbs overweight. It's designed to get less mobile bodies IN FRONT of more mobile dogs. (I'm thinking about my less mobile knees and hopefully incresingly mobile dogs.)

I say go for it - what have you got to lose!?

ETA Where the GD stuff in particular is based in the ability to get to places with (relatively) limited dog training this stuff places more emphasis on dog training and the ability to communicate more effectively.

Edited by Agility Dogs

You'll hate me for this but the only reason I'm giving it a go is because of my access to some great instructors and classes.

:rofl: Yep, TSD, consider yourself officially hated. :rofl: I still haven't really had an opportunity to process what I learnt at the Kamal Fernandez obedience seminar the year before last, let alone the week with Nancy G in June lst year. Would probably help if I didn't do so many disciplines with the dogs. At least Track & Search is easier for training purposes than paddock tracking.

I am really looking forward to doing this handling course.

I am not at the stage yet with Hudson that I need to get out in front as we are still training and not running full courses yet, but he is like lightening and while I am young, I am not super fit and have never been able to sprint well, so I know this will become an issue eventually.

I like the idea of being able to communicate better with him what I expect with each obstacle and we might have less 'make your own course' moments.

Tony I am so excited to hear that BAD seems to be using a few bits and pieces from this. Can't wait to get back next week!

Thanks for that explanation AD - well the 50/50 definitely describes me - .. understatement. I'm just not sure about the training aspect - with little access to equipment and little time. But I'll have a look at the vids anyway.

Thanks for that explanation AD - well the 50/50 definitely describes me - .. understatement. I'm just not sure about the training aspect - with little access to equipment and little time. But I'll have a look at the vids anyway.

That's the cool part - I'm doing next ot NO time on equipment, but the learning is just amazing. Time on the other hand........

Just started with a little bit of the handling system today.

Started work on circling the PNU, starting to teach the check check + backside of the jump (lala) commands. Hudson was such a good boy today both in our private lesson and then we had our first hour of training at club entirely off lead and he only once in the very first run had a little circle around, no serious running off and then was brilliant for the rest of the night! I made quite a few mistakes which threw him off, but overall had such a good afternoon!

I love it when my good dog comes out to play :) He is completely exhausted now though, fast asleep at my feet!

Also love that I am starting to work out what mistakes I am making which are confusing the poor dude! I see why some people say you ruin your first dog.. I am determined to keep at it - I will not ruin him!

Forgot to mention too that we are so close to weaving 4 straight poles now at home! YAY

Last night at training he surprised me by diving straight into the correct entry on the weaves with me on the left hand side! (mind you I had tried to call him back, but he was driving forward after just taking a broad jump) So even though he didn't make it past the entry, I am still thrilled that obviously some of that 2x2 training is working for him!

Handling 360 online is now open - for about $1000!!!

Yep, all the talk seems to be correct, very expensive! I'm going to sit back and have a look at all these new handling ideas coming in this year (SG, OMD and a couple of others) before deciding what to do with Nitro when he gets old enough.

Too expensive for me, looks very comprehensive but makes me wonder how much of the course is truly "new" or is it a repackaged version of the same stuff I.e. Recallers and PP.

I find SG's layers of training a bit demotivating these days, just so much to work through that it feels like a chore.

I'll be sticking with Shape Up, great information, friendly environment with very useful feedback and I'm feeling really comfortable with working through the extra proofing as I go rather than feeling so "tick the box" in my training. Plus I can work 4 Shape Up courses for the same price :thumbsup: The results are showing too, my baby dog is working simple sequences beautifully that I struggle to handle with my 8 yo, yet he's way faster :eek:

Too expensive for me, looks very comprehensive but makes me wonder how much of the course is truly "new" or is it a repackaged version of the same stuff I.e. Recallers and PP.

I find SG's layers of training a bit demotivating these days, just so much to work through that it feels like a chore.

I'll be sticking with Shape Up, great information, friendly environment with very useful feedback and I'm feeling really comfortable with working through the extra proofing as I go rather than feeling so "tick the box" in my training. Plus I can work 4 Shape Up courses for the same price :thumbsup: The results are showing too, my baby dog is working simple sequences beautifully that I struggle to handle with my 8 yo, yet he's way faster :eek:

Which Shape Up ones are you doing? I only just found out about them! Looks interesting!