Agility Training Talk Thread

Also found out that Mindy is to jump the 600 class if she trials (she did not jump this height at the club trial). Unfortunately she just makes the 600 class- which looked very high to me, with even massive dogs like standard poodles knocking bars down! The jumps look as tall as the dog!

Does anyone else's dog jump in the 600 class and does your dog find it difficult?

i have not tried her over that height yet- I have noticed she jumps bigger jumps cleaner though, but not sure if this would be too high for her?

She'll be fine :D

My Goldy is a big, dopey 600 and he does it with ease. The only time I've seen anyone struggle, was a Dalmatian that used to train with us, and she'd need to go over a couple of 600 jumps before she was confident to run a course, every week!

Once she's used to it, it'll be no dramas. It might just take some getting used to when she takes off and the like. I find when we run a course on 500 (at training), more bars get knocked :p The one to watch out for would be the table though. Spend a bit of time getting her used to that at 600 before trialling.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one to watch out for would be the table though. Spend a bit of time getting her used to that at 600 before trialling.

In the new ANKC rules (which come in soon), the table height will be 400 for 400 and above dogs I believe. And 200 for 200 and 300 dogs?

The one to watch out for would be the table though. Spend a bit of time getting her used to that at 600 before trialling.

In the new ANKC rules (which come in soon), the table height will be 400 for 400 and above dogs I believe. And 200 for 200 and 300 dogs?

Really? Wow, I didn't know about that. Even when the table comes out at training (rarely) it is never a 600 table. Has never caused an issue for us - I think proofing table behaviour may be more important than height.

Really? Wow, I didn't know about that. Even when the table comes out at training (rarely) it is never a 600 table. Has never caused an issue for us - I think proofing table behaviour may be more important than height.

Rumour has it that this may come in early - July even. It's not so much for the dogs but for the judges/stewards - I was told that many judges don't include a table in their course because it takes so much time to adjust the heights (and some judges like to peg the table down).

Rumour has it that this may come in early - July even. It's not so much for the dogs but for the judges/stewards - I was told that many judges don't include a table in their course because it takes so much time to adjust the heights (and some judges like to peg the table down).

I think the new rules actually start July 1.

Rules for the conduct of

Agility Trials

(Effective from 1st July 2011)

In case others aren't aware, the seesaw is also changing. (shorter/lower??) Not sure what other changes there are besides table and seesaw, I guess I will find out when I go to trial laugh.gif

Cool!! That's really good news. I've seen some tables at 600 which are pretty wobbly :/ I suppose I should have a flick through the new rules, huh? :p

And to add another little complication, our understanding is that the 2 height tables can be put in place from July 1 - since that doesn't involve a physical change in equipment, so no need for a grace period. Coiuld be wrong though :laugh:

And to add another little complication, our understanding is that the 2 height tables can be put in place from July 1 - since that doesn't involve a physical change in equipment, so no need for a grace period. Coiuld be wrong though :laugh:

Yes - that is what I was trying to say Tassie :laugh:

:rofl: slaps forehead - sorry TSD - missed your post. Senior's moment! So you think Vic is going that way too? (i.e. 2 height table can start July 1)

:rofl: slaps forehead - sorry TSD - missed your post. Senior's moment! So you think Vic is going that way too? (i.e. 2 height table can start July 1)

I'd say so Tassie - makes it so much easier given some of our tables are a 2 person job to adjust.

The other reason you don't see tables in Masters much here is because you can't get consistent timing off the table. That 0.5 to 1 second might be the difference between 1st and 4th, especially when Top Dog points are added to that mix. :eek:

Edited by Jess.

What are the thoughts on the Wee Saw??

The rest of the world seems to cope ok, has Oz got it right or wrong?

Would've much rather seen the effort put into standardising the drop rates and getting rid of the older two part seesaws which tend to whip badly.

There is a puppy see saw at a club I used to train with, roughly half height but same length board. It drops far harder and quicker than any competition seesaw that I've come across.

A suggestion from an OS visitor was paint cleats on the dogwalk.

I felt a lower SS would cause more shoulder jarring but I don't have proof...it's just my feeling..and, of course, would take training to adjust to the new height.

My dog did have flyoff issues with the current SS, but I trained him to not flyoff...guess it all comes down to that...training. So, yes, I'll go back and now train a lowered SS where he won't hurt his shoulders.

I'm yet to teach Ruby seesaw because of her dog walk phobias. I had planned to start seesaw training once she gets her final AD pass. Now I'm not sure if I should start training her on the size used in competition now, or wait until the new size comes in. Now that it has been clarified for me that the equipment change may not happen until the end of the year, not July like I thought, I don't know what to do now! She just needs 1 more pass and I want to get her started on it. If it turns out she just can't handle the dogwalk again because of the seesaw then she will just be a jumping dog.

I felt a lower SS would cause more shoulder jarring but I don't have proof...it's just my feeling..and, of course, would take training to adjust to the new height.

My dog did have flyoff issues with the current SS, but I trained him to not flyoff...guess it all comes down to that...training. So, yes, I'll go back and now train a lowered SS where he won't hurt his shoulders.

Definitely my thoughts on it also in regard to shoulder jarring - it won't make any difference to dogs that go to the pivot point and push it down (not the performance I want) but to those who run to the end and ride elevator style I predict a lot more fly offs the end than with the higher height.

I am part way through training with my youngest dog (got delayed after I had an accident and just so happens to be the one thing that I have pushed back without meaning to) but after starting with a lowered seesaw (which will be very close in height to the one coming in) I moved up to half height very quickly - she was racing to the end so fast and it was coming down very hard which made it really hard for her to stick her position. Once I went up a bit in height, this disappeared and the performance became a lot smoother.

Looks like I will be rethinking her end performance when this comes in too.

Not to mention how out of touch it makes us with the rest of the world which is not the way to move agility forward in this country IMO.

Don't even get me started on jump heights in Australia, etc. LOL.

The table changing earlier in Victoria seems to depend on who you talk to - have heard 'definitely yes' from one camp and 'definitely no' from another - so will depend who wins I guess. The table will also become optional at Excellent level, not just at Masters I believe.

I also predict that the new chute will gradually disappear from competition - as it's optional there's not much incentive for clubs to spend the money on a new one. Will be interesting to see.

Don't even get me started on jump heights in Australia, etc. LOL.

Oh, but can we? :laugh: I'd honestly like to know what you are referring to in regards to jump heights here as opposed to O/S :) I don't know what other countries jump! I assumed the same as us!