Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the difference between jumping and agility?

Why would you do one and not the other? Or can you do both?

You can do one, you can do the other, or you can do both.

Agility includes contact equipment such as A-Frame, dogwalk, seesaw, table. Agility also includes weaves, while jumping doesn't (except Open Jumping includes weaves, just to confuse you more ;))

You might want to start out on jumping if your dog hasn't got weaving down pat yet, or has contact issues.

Edited by RubyStar

Thanks Rubystar!

There is an agility trial in two weeks. We won't be ready to compete in agility (haven't quite got weaves yet) but maybe we can compete in the Jumping? That is just jumps and tunnels right?

How do you know when you're ready to trial?

Thanks Rubystar!

There is an agility trial in two weeks. We won't be ready to compete in agility (haven't quite got weaves yet) but maybe we can compete in the Jumping? That is just jumps and tunnels right?

How do you know when you're ready to trial?

I assume you mean ANKC? I don't know anything about ADAA. ANKC Jumping includes jumps, a spread, broad jump, tunnels, and the tyre.

You know if you're ready if your dog can get around an entire course successfully and most importantly, confidently I suppose? :shrug:

More experienced people will have better advice, I'm sure. The only bit of advice I can offer is don't rush, there's plenty of time to be ready!

She can do the jumps and tunnels confidently.

She can do all but the weaves confidently

We haven't done much work at all on cross overs though.

It would just be for fun, although maybe people take these things quite seriously and would be offended if you ran a dog that wasn't that good?

Yes it is a ANKC trial.

We've only ever done a whole course once (it was a full agility course though). She had no jump faults and was fine with the tunnels.

Though she hasn't jumped at competition height yet except for a few small sequences in training.

May be it is too early yet...

Edited by aussielover

She can do the jumps and tunnels confidently.

She can do all but the weaves confidently

We haven't done much work at all on cross overs though.

It would just be for fun, although maybe people take these things quite seriously and would be offended if you ran a dog that wasn't that good?

Yes it is a ANKC trial.

We've only ever done a whole course once (it was a full agility course though). She had no jump faults and was fine with the tunnels.

Though she hasn't jumped at competition height yet except for a few small sequences in training.

May be it is too early yet...

Just do it! No-ones going to care. That's the reason they have a novice class ;)

If she can jump, do tunnels and will follow you around a course, just enter and have fun with it. Trialling is a completely different world to training anyway.

I entered Pippa in the WA State trials before I'd consider her "ready", and she surprised me and went clear on her first round. She was lacking in confidence, so I had to baby her over every jump (which is hard work with a border collie :p), but it paid off. Most Novice courses I've seen have 1 or 2 crosses in them, and chances are 1 of them will be on the far side of a tunnel.

Enter, and have fun. Even if you don't do well, trial experience is invaluable.

Dogs also have to be 18 months old to compete.

My dog is confident with all the equipment but I won't be competing for a fair while yet! That is my own personal preference though; I don't like to enter trials until I am confident that we are doing everything right :)

Dogs also have to be 18 months old to compete.

My dog is confident with all the equipment but I won't be competing for a fair while yet! That is my own personal preference though; I don't like to enter trials until I am confident that we are doing everything right :)

Is it 18 months for ADAA and ANKC?

Someone told me it was 12 months for ANKC

I love agility, we have so much fun during training and i've only done a club competition but it was really fun and I was really happy with the way Mindy went.

The dog needs to be 18 months old to compete.

Delta was well and truly ready to compete when I started with her, she had been doing masters level courses at training in the months leading up to it and we were well and truly prepared before our first trial. Charlie was not as prepared, he was more than capable of doing a novice course (and went clear or had a minor fault in the first few runs we had in both ADAA and ANKC) but mentally he wasn't prepared for it. He hadn't done anywhere near the training that Delta had but I used the logic of "well he can do all the obstacles and follow me around a course so I will enter him". It backfired on us bigtime as he completely shutdown and it has taken a lot of work to get him back to enjoying the sport. He is in masters now and I still find myself having to do "yahoo laps" if the course is beyond us. Most of our issues have come from me putting him into the ring before our partnership was ready and I will never do it with a dog again. I want them ready to tackle whatever is put in front of them (beyond novice skills) before I will consider entering them in a trial.

I love that ADAA has "not for competition" runs. You have the normal course time and you can do whatever you want. I see many people just doing it to be able to repeat contacts or obstacles they aren't confident on.

Gives the dog (and you) a chance to run under competition conditions. Start lines stays are another thing you can work on. I used them to run a dog not so confident or drivey. I can do a few jumps etc and then reward.

I watched a more experienced trainer work her young dog once in a NFC run. She did a great job training a young dog in the trial atmosphere and this is something I will definitely do one day.

As to when to trial - I ran both my dogs and did OK but we didn't have much training. I thought we were going well and we qualified a bit. I moved elsewhere and started training using a handling system (GD's). Looking back at early runs I can see all these errors (pretty normal). All for fun I know but the thing is I was often running into my dogs path. I caused my dogs to be confused about where we were going and what was next. I also ran them with no contacts as I was told they were small and wouldn't jump off ( yeah, right :laugh: )

Confusing the dog by inexperienced handling can make some dogs slow down or worry/ shut down. Some dogs couldn't care less.

But you don't need to be perfect to run. Ask your club trainer for their advice.

Can you take dogs to trials and let them get used to it? Working on focus around the rings.

One hint is ALWAYS toilet your dog before you go near the ring. Lots of dogs when nervous decide they have to go in the ring.

You'll get there and it'll be loads of fun! And lots of nice people :)

I love ADAA for the NFC runs, i still use in on my experienced dogs if they are having issues with things in the ring, my young dog at present is having some contact issues she knows her job but a calf injury on my part has caused some doubt in her mind, the NFC allows me to reward her for her good efforts int he ring :).

As far as when to know when to compete....i guess it depends on yourself and your dog. If your dog is confident on all aspects of equipment albeit weaves then i would say go and have some good fun runs in jumping, they dont have weaves and it will give you a good indication of where your training is up to :). It also helps with ring confidence as well as running with you when there is someone else in the ring ie judge.

I dont believe your dog needs to be doing masters courses to start competing, as long as you are happy with where you are up to go and give it a try there are alot of agility people who will help you out at a trial of the hows, whys, can dos and cant dos :). We all had to start somewhere and are more than happy to help out a newbie.

One important factor to remember have fun :)

I'm new to this thread, and train agility with Lottie, my aussie shep!

We have our first comp coming up - ADAA - in a few weeks, and i'll just be doing NFC :D I just want to see if we're ready to get out and start competing, and what we need to work on.

We've been doing alot of work with our weaves, and today shes been weaving 8 poles confidently and consistently - we still have alot to learn and work on (lot her looking back for the reward everytime - I've got a few things to change so that doesn't happen, such as producing the reward earlier infront!!) but i'm soooo proud of her :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuKik1eOnrY

Edited by LuvLottie

Looking good LL, might need to start pegging them in if you can as it looks like it is throwing out her rythm in the last couple :)

Thanks :D I know we have lots to work on, but i'm just so proud of her!! And yep, I definitely will peg them in from tomorrow - I noticed that too!! I think it'll help!!

She looks fantastic LL! Well done!

Isn't it the best feeling ever when they get it :)

Thanks!! It was such a nice feeling!! We've been working on it for quite a while (very half heartedly - uni has been in the way abit), but my awesome friends made me some good quality weave poles!! So I thought i'd get into it and really teach her properly - today she was doing them even better then the day before :D

On the weave training

We're still on four poles because my evil hound isn't very reliable at finding the right entry when we move "around the arc" ie around the far side of the poles or up the line of the poles or away from the poles.

She did some beautiful weaves this morning when I swapped the reward from tug to treat. Sigh. And then she figured out she could steal the treat without weaving and we had to quit that one.

Question for the SA agility triallers or those in the know...

Do you guys have to show height cards when you trial in agility?

Have entered a SA trial and have been asked for a HAS as well as a jump height, just worried that I will be asked for a height card at the trial. I have one for Darcy but it took something like 2 years, as a result I haven't received Zee's. :eek:

We don't show height cards when we trial but they can request to see them. All dogs trialling must have a height card. I don't think you would have a hassle being from interstate. It certainly won't be requested as standard and if you have a dog that is clearly in the right height then I would lose to much sleep over it.