Agility Training Talk Thread

What ness said. Didn't have to show one last year - I do put HAW/HAS on the form cos that's what we do down here :) - and I did have Kirra's height card with me, but if the dog is clearly within the appropriate height category, should be no problems. If a judge had serious dowubts, they would ask for the dog to be measured anyway, I would think.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-Q

I might ask Cathy at Agility Click - they're queensland based, and she doesn't sell them but she might know how does. If you have Susan Garrett's 2x2 weaves dvds, I think one of them has a specification included with a work book or something, and you could give that to your local metal worker or engineering firm to get made up. A hole for a "peg" in half way between the two uprights can make rotating easier, but pegging it there would probably break the latest equipment rules.

I've been thinking about talking to a boat builder or plastics manufacturer about getting some made up out of plastic or carbon fibre. I know that the rules say metal, but this other stuff would be lighter and stiffer and possibly stronger.

My lesson for the weekend.

Do not try to steward (leads or time keeping or anything important) at a trial or mock trial if you want to run your dog. It doesn't work. If you're thinking about getting the dog out and round as fast as possible, she will oblige by not paying any attention to where she's supposed to be going, she will jump off the top of the scramble (contact, what contact?) and she won't do the weaves. Sigh And you will forget to take your hat and jacket off before the run. Which doesn't help either.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Tonight is my first night of agility training for about 2 months, really looking forward to it! Training was cancelled last week because of rain and I'm having major withsdrawals! Hopefully the dogs share my enthusiasm (I think they will!) :thumbsup:

Tonight is my first night of agility training for about 2 months, really looking forward to it! Training was cancelled last week because of rain and I'm having major withsdrawals! Hopefully the dogs share my enthusiasm (I think they will!) :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I can be bothered going :o So cold!! Are you training at 8pm?

We don't show height cards when we trial but they can request to see them. All dogs trialling must have a height card. I don't think you would have a hassle being from interstate. It certainly won't be requested as standard and if you have a dog that is clearly in the right height then I would lose to much sleep over it.

What ness said. Didn't have to show one last year - I do put HAW/HAS on the form cos that's what we do down here :) - and I did have Kirra's height card with me, but if the dog is clearly within the appropriate height category, should be no problems. If a judge had serious dowubts, they would ask for the dog to be measured anyway, I would think.

Thanks guys - funny enough Zee's height card arrived in the mail late last week. :thumbsup:

Has anyone done Riverland's trial before? Can anyone tell me how close the camping area is to the rings? Just wondering what kind of set up to take camping wise.

No way RS!!!!! It was freeeeeeezing here last night but I still went to agility. Zig was MAD and ran like the (Emmy) devil was after him :laugh:

Come on RS! It's fine once you start running around!

Yep 8pm slot

Sorry guys, agility training doesn't come before warm lounge for me tonight laugh.gif I went and did obedience training last night and it was just as cold, if not colder! And I'll train agility Thursday night :p I need to break things down some which is harder to do on Tuesday nights, so will do what I need to do on Thursday :D

P.S. not a fan of 8pm slot so early in the week, which is the main reason I skip Tuesdays :o I'm fine with late training on Thursday because I can sleep in a bit on Fridays!

Edited by RubyStar

Oohh myyy gawwwd. 2x2 weave training with Millie is sending me round the bend. She's as dopey as they come! I just don't think this method is cut out for all dogs (especially when you're nothing like SG!!) It worked for Ruby, not so much for Millie. It's an agonisingly slow process with Miss Moo. And she can't help but do a victory lap with her toy once she gets it right, adding to my frustration!

I was just doing this video earlier to demonstrate Millie's hopping weaving style, and remembered me posting in here about my weaving woes with teaching Millie, so thought I'd just post it in here too for an update :)

She still isn't as strong weaving on my right, but she is more than capable of it now thumbsup1.gif

Edited by RubyStar

ok other agility friends question

Now at home raz is fine in his crate will snooze etc, at agility he just cries constantly so my plan:

is to take him and just crate him, i will start to train him again when he has learned to settle in his crate, there just a bit of high pitched squeaking, then he started scratching near the end (soft crate btw) figured out that got attention, i had to stop him he did get a hole in the screen!! so he got louder, i had to put him in the car :banghead: next time im bringing the wire crate and he can cry to his hearts content :D and i will ignore ignore ignore, he is ok in his crate at home will snooze if left in it but for some reason when we are at agility he just get too stressed and he equates the agility to stress, i need him to calm down :shrug:

if you have any ideas on how i can do it differently let me know :shrug:

any help would be appreciated

One thing you could try, if you can organize it, is have a friend or a succession of friends 'babysit' him - i.e. be nearby, and drop a treat or two in the crate when he is quiet (even if it's only a brief moment ;) . The quiet moments should lengthen out, so the rain of treats can go on a bit longer.

Worked for my boy - he can sit hand snooze happily in his trolley through a whole agility trial now while I'm out walking courses and running my girl. It did take a while, and a lot of help from friends, but well worth it. (I also had my babysitters do a little interrupt (uh-uh) when he was starting to get stressy.

Well over our break my Tenterfield Terrier got replaced by one who was crazy :eek: (fun crazy though :laugh: ) I was a bit worried about a DW / SS phobia he had developed at our last trial and training but he seems to have completely forgotten about them and there was no hesitation, phew! He was quite possibly the fastest I have ever seen him! Very fun

So much work to do with Trixie, going to have to break the weaving back down, she's focussing sooo hard on getting her steps right it is painfully slow and she is a bit confused about the whole thing. Has anyone had the same problem? I think I need to tighten my criteria to reward speed moreso than accuracy?

Going to open the weavers on Thursday and see if I can build up her speed through them, maybe go back to 6 for a while

Going to open the weavers on Thursday and see if I can build up her speed through them, maybe go back to 6 for a while

I might do this for Ruby. On Thursday I want to work on better weave entries/speed, rear crosses, and a little sequence of jumps I had trouble with on the weekend with both girls.

dandybrush

Mine didn't try to eat her way out but she did yell a lot the first few times I left her in the crate at training. I played a kind of hot and cold ie the more she yelled, the further away I went, ie as soon as she barked - I walked further away, and when she was quiet, I went closer, and if I got all the way back I rewarded her with treats or a game of tug out the crate. The first few times I had trouble getting her to go back in the crate but now she understands I'll be coming back - so I guess if you can also practice letting her out and putting her back in and repeat for varying lengths of time with an increasing (but not every time) length of time trend - that helps.

If I ever went back when she was barking - the barking and yelling would get worse. Sigh.

Haven't managed to generalise a good quiet crate time to the side of the hockey field - will have to get a sheet for that I think.