Bedding For Kennel/doghouse

We have a lovely new kennel built by a carpenter for our two dogs, but they dont' go in there and I think the problem is that we haven't put any mats or bedding in it. Everytime we have put something in their old kennel, be it hessian mats or other dog beds, they have chewed them up, and we often came home to a yard full of white fluffy bed stuffing. Does anyone have ideas on super-tough bedding to be used in a kennel? We thought of actually nailing down a hessian bed to the floor of the kennel so that they can't remove or chew it, but if there is a tough bed, we prefer that. Thanks!

I have recently started to use blankets in the dogs house (cubby) and it so so good! Wish I had thought of it earlier. My dogs destroy beds within days. I was sick of coming home to fluff everywhere. So I went to the op shop and bought a few blankets. Yes, they still drag them out sometimes and chew them a bit, but there is never the mass destruction that used to happen. I got three woollen blankets for $5 each. :dropjaw:

Edited by Kirty

That's a great idea! will get some from the op-shop...i'm sick of paying a fortune for fancy beds that get chewed up in two seconds. I heard the Snooza D1000 is pretty durable, but I don't know if it would survive.

I have exactly the same problem - I will use the idea of the blankets from the op shop and see how that goes - I'm sure one of mine will still chew and drag around the yard though!!!

Someone also mentioned using doublesided tape and stick down hessian or some carpet. Maybe worth a try too.

If the kennel has a lift up roof or other access for cleaning, or the door is a suitable size....

Get a sack, and a piece of hardboard/plywood/marine ply as big as the floor of the kennel. Put the board in the sack, add padding if you want. The theory is that the board prevents the dog pulling the bedding out the door - but some learn how to turn the board on an angle to get it through the door, and others just wreck the bed inside the kennel.

If the kennel has a lift up roof or other access for cleaning, or the door is a suitable size....

Get a sack, and a piece of hardboard/plywood/marine ply as big as the floor of the kennel. Put the board in the sack, add padding if you want. The theory is that the board prevents the dog pulling the bedding out the door - but some learn how to turn the board on an angle to get it through the door, and others just wreck the bed inside the kennel.

My dog is OK, but my son's dog just guts the bedding. Doesn't even pull it out the door, just gets her teeth into it and rips out the middle.

Is there enough room in the kennel to place a large or xlarge trampoline bed for the both of them to share.

We've used mats, blankets, old cushions & have had them ripped or torn throughout the yard also :rofl::rofl::rofl: .

We've now moved to the trampoline beds, not overly expensive picked them up on ebay for $25-$30bux.

In the beginning they would scratch at it & try rip it up but luckily to no avail :laugh::):thumbsup:

Edited by moko81

I tried nailed down carpet but they just dug at it until it shredded. Same with the trampoline beds. They do drag the blankets out but I just give them a good shake and put them back. :rofl:

For our guys Large outside kennel, we have carpet on the floor, sisalation on walls and then carpet over top of sisalation.

For comfort we have a XXL Snooza Durobed, then an old woolen under blanket.

This time i haven't (as yet) screwed the underblanket down, it depends on Buster, he's the destructive one and i have come home to find many a sea of snow.

We have also tried a metal pole inside of sacks/Pillows/Bedding next to the door so that he can't drag the bedding out ( Similar idea to what Sandra777 mentioned but used a rod instead )

But the little bugger would eventually work out how to get out.

The trampoline bed idea is great if Kennel is big enough. Good luck.