Rottweiler Bob Tail Gene

Hi

I would like to know why the Bob tailed rottie lines are not more common now , I recall reading somwhere many years ago that the bob tail gene was often found to also link to entropin in the breed but as to its factuality I could not say.

My question is because we are starting to consider adding to our family of furies and would consider looking out for a bob tail if it has the required confirmation and temp

thanks

Yup they are real , but was wondering why they are not more common , it has been a few years since the ban on docking was introduced so was wondering if there is health reason why more are not being produced now , I know a few breeders walked away from the breed when the ban was introduced , bit sad love my rotties tails and all ,

I do know that back in the 80's there was talk that the quality of many of the bobtails was not up to scratch and I would imagine if that is true since docking was actually legal then that they would have been simply not considered for breeding, after all no one would know that we would end up faced with the tail docking ban.

I know some breeders were very wary of the gene and viewed them as freaks, so I am guessing that eventually we didn't end up with too many around the place.

Hi

I would like to know why the Bob tailed rottie lines are not more common now , I recall reading somwhere many years ago that the bob tail gene was often found to also link to entropin in the breed but as to its factuality I could not say.

Sounds like you're talking about my father's early breeding days. I don't believe he is saying that there is a link between the bobtail gene and entropian, but rather that those particular lines that had the bobtail gene that he experienced also produced unacceptable levels of entropian (among other things) to justify continuing with them.

I understand that there is a NBT gene in rottweilers. I don't proclaim to know anything about any health issues involved with the gene.

For me, I have yet to see a rottweiler which is a supposed NBT (and not a sly docking claiming to be an NBT) that is of good enough overall conformation for me to justify introducing it into my breeding program. In fact, find that in general most of the NBT rottweilers that I have been made aware of are IMO of poor overall conformation. Besides - as much as it might make us pariahs - we really like our tails now, so we have no interest in incorporating any sort of NBT gene into our lines. :)

Thanks very much for that Allerzeit ,

If the confirmation and quality are not there in them then would much rather a tailed one ,the lines seem to go well outside the lines I am used to researching and to be honest havent seen one that I like in the last few years

For me, I have yet to see a rottweiler which is a supposed NBT (and not a sly docking claiming to be an NBT) that is of good enough overall conformation for me to justify introducing it into my breeding program. In fact, find that in general most of the NBT rottweilers that I have been made aware of are IMO of poor overall conformation. Besides - as much as it might make us pariahs - we really like our tails now, so we have no interest in incorporating any sort of NBT gene into our lines. :eek:

Allerzeit are we on the same wavelength or what?

Of the few NBT's that I have seen I would not even consider them in our breeding program based on their conformation. In my opinion conformation and temperament are miles ahead of breeding for a tail-less dog, and we have no desire to incorporate one into our breeding.

Totally agree that after living with tailed rotts for the last 5 years we actually like the tails, and even if the ban were lifted we would never dock again :eek: go ahead shoot me down in flames but that is the truth.

The general public also seem much happier being approached by a rottie with a tail, I guess the body language is much easier for them to see how friendly they are.

On the plus side for me, it makes tracking with them easier as you can read their body language :)

HI Rakazz , I thought you and Allerzeit said the same thing different ways ? thanks for the info all , was only truly interested in seeking such a pup out if the confirmation, health and temps were comparable to tailed babies , do enjoy my girls tail but do like the unusual as well

I thought that was a fallacy as far as Rotties were concerned :( .

:)

well, Souff met a couple of these Rotti "fallacies" a few years back .... I think there were 2 in the litter.

Have not heard about the gene being linked to Entropin .... that sounds more like ST or SG to me

Souff

My first dog after I moved in with my Husband was a gorgeous bobtail Rotti. That was way back in 1994 he was bought as a pet only. Lived to a ripe old age of 13 years old.

edited to add a piccie, unfortunately not a great picture! it's a scanned photo back from 1997. Rex our bobtail is on the left, Suzie was a pound rescue, she's on the right.

001.jpg

Edited by Avindie

I thought it was also linked to spina bifida?

Spina bifida puppies do not grow into big healthy dogs like Rex in the photo above - they are pts at birth.

Dogs with natural bobtails were first documented by monks in England in the 9th century.

Had spina bifida been a critical issue for the dogs with the bobtail gene, it would have wiped out those lines a very long time ago.

Souff