Dog Sledding

Hi, I do dog sledding with my 2 dogs, and we are thinking about getting another dog, being me, and all, I'm doing heaps of research and thinking before I do anything...

I would like to know what everyone else out there uses, thinks, etc.

All breed info appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the WA sled dog club at a fun day once, they had all sorts of breeds, the GSP was popular. They say any breed can do it if they're over 15kg. A lady approached me to try with my SBT's but I think they're too small :( .

they are not too small..... there is a lady who is going to run with her westie.... in the pee wee races... there have been jack russels, and the dog that wins all the club races here is a whippet.

soph, one of my dogs, is small for a springer, and she does fine. you might not make the fastest time, but then it's all about fitness.

I've emailed the GSP club of vic to get information on that breed. I've never had much to do with them before.

Edited by paddles

I have run Sibes and GSDs over the years. My old GSD didn't start sledding until she was about 6 and she was a natural! One of her daughters used to bark the whole way around the track. :o We even ran a mixed team at the snow and also a GSD team at the snow. Great fun :laugh:

Please tell me more about your GSPs? can you let them off lead? or are they like a sibe, and say... good-bye... before running off into the sunset.... are they destructive (more so than any other dog... i mean,) I have English spingers, and they are pretty destructive, but hopefully will outgrow it... one day...

I don't think I want to get a husky, if in doubt, don't sort of thing. I know nothing about gsp's never having had anything to do with any, and would appreaciate any info on temperment you can give me.

I've read that they are an energetic dog, like many dogs, (desirable for sledding) but if they don't get out the yard for a couple of days, how are they? I walk my dogs most days, but sometimes due to various commitments, I don't get a lot of time for walks, but they generaly come inside with me on these days/ or out in the yard playing....

paddles, perhaps you should pop into the GSP thread :laugh: GSPs like Springers are gundogs and bred to work for humans, so they are highly trainable. With training they certainly can be let off lead, most of my boys exercise is off lead. I have found my GSP no more destructive than the average dog and far less destructive than my Labrador was. They are high energy dogs and do need regular outings.

I know nothing about sledding, but GSPs do appear popular for the sport.

I am sure Labradors would probably be very good sledding dogs as they have great pulling power as they are bloody strong dogs :laugh: and I sure there will be many of us Lab owners who have had/have issues with them pulling like stream trains on a lead can attest to their strength. ;)

I have always loved this sport! Would love to know more about it.

Are there many clubs out and about in NSW and how hard is it to train a dog for sledding?

Those of you that are in the sport, where do you train?

I train in a patch of bush near by, I know people who train on ovals, I know people who only train in harness on weekends, by putting the dogs and scooter in the car, and driving somewhere to train. i also used to train on the footpaths, before the dogs ran so hard, but now, because they run hard and fast, I don't train on the footpaths.

contact the siberian husky club of NSW for more info on races in that state. (there are races there)

any dog can do it!!