Questionnaire To Help Suggest A Breed Or

kamuzz

I got the same, Anatolian Shepherd, Black Russian Terrier, Doberman, Great Dane, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.

I said I wanted a dog for agility, medium to large, active and trainable, don't care about fur. The breed I actually have (Aussie) was result number 37 :laugh: I loooove Black Russian Terriers but they are too much dog for me... maybe one day :grouphug:

Edited to add: It looks like they are just recommending in alphabetical order which is why we are all getting Anatolians...

Edited by wuffles

I got 1 alaskan malamute, 2 anatolian shepherd dog, 3 bernese mountain dog, 4 black russian terrier, 5 boxer.

And the only one i would consider seriously would be the boxer, mostly because of the hair but also because i think 1,2 and 4 too much for me to handle training etc wise. all beautiful dogs.... anatolian shepherd would be good to protect my parents lambs from all of these turd foxes though..... :laugh:

I got those exact results too and the only one I like is the Malamute, I wouldn't go near the other breeds, really not my thing.

I got an Anatolian, Black Russian, Dobermann, German Pincer and a Great Dane!!! Whilst they all may be great dogs and I can admire them from afar not one of them would suite my lifestyle! I was aiming for a BC or an Aussie. What is medium about an any of these breeds????? :grouphug: My next prospect is going to be a working Kelpie!

Select a dog http://selectadog.pedigree.com.au/ came up with English Springer, Saluki (not sure about this one for me), Cocker (Yank), Border Collie, Wire Fox Terrier, Sibe, Kelpie (Yay!)

I got anatolian too. I have no idea what I'd do with an anatolian! :laugh:

Having said that though, the breed descriptions & ratings for the breeds I know anything about were pretty spot on.

A guy in our office has just bought a house.

"Oh, we want a dog," he says "Can you tell me where to find one."

"What sort of dog do you want"

"About the size of a border collie, but with short hair"

"What else? Is the dog coming inside or just outside? Who is going to walk it?" and I started asking him the regular questions

"Um, we just want a regular dog."

I know this pops up on here from time to time. Please help me find a couple of questionnaires that will give them an idea of what to think about, what is involved in owning a dog beyond bringing a dog home.

Sorry to be negative here, but it doesn't sound that he has given it much thought at all, perhaps he would be better getting an ornament of a dog for his backyard. The impression I get is that he justs thinks that now he has a house he needs a dog to decorate the backyard. My apologies if I'm wrong, but a dog that hopefully will be a family member for the next 12 to 15+ years hopefully deserves alot more thought than what this person appears to be giving.

Nope, you summed it up pretty well. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find on Monday that they've been to the pound already. I'm hoping that by giving him a few questionnaires, they might stop and think.

Interesting how many of us are getting similar results. Mine were

Akita

Anatolian Shepherd Dog

Bernese Mountain Dog

Black Russian Terrier Boxer

I got these too - and me a lazy greyhound person - go figure.

Greyhound was 15th on my list :D

OK, I think there is a problem with their survey. They ask all the right questions, but seem to give you the wrong answers.

My test results are:

1. Akita

2. Alaskan Malamute

3. Anatolian Shepherd Dog

4. Bernese Mountain Dog

5. Black Russian Terrier

I would be badly allergic to all of these breeds - so much for the allergy question (obviously I answers 'yes' to having an allergy problem).

Beyond that, a number of these dogs are quite headstrong breeds. I don't think they would really suit me temperament-wise either. Maybe I'm wrong, but the Alaskan Malamutes I have met have been pretty headstrong. And physically strong, too. I only rated myself to be of good health, not excellent health. I could not physically hold onto a strong Malamute.

Although if I didn't have allergies, I could be very tempted by a Bernese Mountain Dog. They are beautiful. Sigh...

By the way, this is what the website says about allergies:

There's no such thing as a non-allergenic dog. What makes people allergic to dogs is not fur, but dander, or skin cells. In short, the connection between shedding and allergies is a loose one at best.

So they ask the question, but dismiss the answer?

Shedding and allergies have much more than a loose connection. I think this is very misleading advice.

I'd love to know what it recommends for people who are allergic.

As far as I know, there are only two maybe three eg

poodle

bedlington terrier

and perhaps (thanks to Mr President)

portuguese water dog.

Depends on what they are allergic to. If they are allergic to dander (dead skin) then there are no suitable dogs.

• 3 weeks later...