Temporary Paralysis?

Hey guys,

Chestnut is fine now, but last night I had the 'bleep' scared out of me. Just wondering if anyone has seen something like it or knows what it could be?

Last night Chestnut was sleeping on the couch under a blanket with my partner. All of a sudden I heard him whimper and cry, it sounded so distressed, not like a whine, and when I uncovered him he was wriggling around and crying- He tried to walk but was just dragging his hind legs.. I picked him up, he was floppy and couldn't be consoled.. checked his airway which looked fine and he tried to bite me which was a good sign I guess! Tried him again on the floor, to see if he could walk but he still couldn't. Also seemed to be posturing a bit, like with his head curved around to one side, and his back was kind of hunched up at times, as if doing a poo, but without standing on his hind legs. Picked him up, he was still floppy, breathing seemed normal. Was out the door on our way to the vets within 5 mins of onset, I would say, and while I was on the phone to the vet he suddenly stood up in my lap, no longer crying, no longer floppy. Tried him on the pathway and he trotted along like normal. He was calm, and interacting like he normally would... Ended up taking him back inside and watched him sleep. I've never been so scared!!! :hug:

What the??? Any ideas?

He has been a little constipated, that's all I can think of, maybe a tummy cramp? Also checked him over for ticks, found none. He has little spots of dry skin over him, but has had them for a while. No obvious bites or stings....

I'm really worried about him, poor love, but he has been completely normal today! Normal poos too! :rofl:

Thanks for any ideas guys!

Some kind of seizure?

I'm not vet, so really it is just a guess.

Thanks for the post wizzle. We wondered about a seizure, but it didn't really look like seizure activity, in that he wasn't jerking repetitively... but then he did just kind of recover all of a sudden, which can happen with a seizure. Hmmm... :rofl:

I know in humans, there are several different types of seizures... some times they look like mini strokes in some people.

I hope it doesn't happen again!!!! I know I would be mortified. I'd still get the vet to check him out.

I know in humans, there are several different types of seizures... some times they look like mini strokes in some people.

I hope it doesn't happen again!!!! I know I would be mortified. I'd still get the vet to check him out.

that's true, they can look quite different can't they? I will ask the vet... thanks wizzle :rofl:

Crazy, I wonder if dogs can get sleep paralysis? I have an appointment with the vet this morning to check out a cough that he's woken up with (when it rains it pours!!) so I will ask this morning about that episode and let you know. :rofl:

Poor puppy :hug:

sounds neorological. Its up to you, you may want to get it checked over by a vet, but I would certainly monitor him and see how he goes, if it happens again I would def be taking him in to the vet and asking for a referral.

Hey thanks guys,

Went to the vet this morning, to have his cough checked out (on antibiotics now but it's nothing too bad =)) and I asked about the leg weakness thing. The vet said it sounded like either some sort of nerve compression like a bulging disc or perhaps he had slept in a position that had caused some nerve compression that gave him 'dead legs'. If it was a bulging disc, she'd expect to see it happen again, maybe for a longer period of time, in which case we would come back straight away, but if not then it probably was just 'dead legs'. She checked out all of his neuros and reflexes and found them all to be normal.

So here's hoping it was just dead legs! Poor thing was shaking for most of the vet consult- he does not like having his temperature taken! Wouldn't even take a shmacko from the vet. AND we've still got to go back for his big desexing operation. Life is just not fair for the adolescent pup!! :o

Anyway, I'm feeling slightly relieved, thanks for all the messages guys :laugh:

If I were you I'd get the vet to do pre-anaesthetic bloods before he gets desexed just in case there is a liver issue there, that can sometimes cause neurological and digestive problems. Well worth the extra money IMO.