Arthritis Prevention?

We have a 3yo Kelpie X BC, who fell out of a ute at about 18mths and did some serious damage to his pelvis. Last winter we didn't notice anything, but the past couple of days we have noticed that after a day outside doing burnouts with the puppy he is a bit stiff and occasionally has trouble getting onto the couch when he normally springs up at night time as it gets quite cold. He doesn't seem sore but he's certainly more careful with how he does things recently, and has been a little quieter than normal. He won't wear a coat, he tears it off, or the puppy does.. whoever gets to it first.

What supplements do you think would be beneficial for him? Taking him to the vet is not an option, as he has panic attacks in the car and shreds the seats unless heavily sedated(which we hate doing) and he refuses to go for walks in this weather so we can't walk him there :hug: It isn't because he's sore, he is highly opinionated, however if the pup goes out, he will follow as he thinks he's missing out :rofl:

Edited by Bundy's Mum

I am sure there will be lots of opinions on supplements. I have a lab with ED and HD and we use Joint Guard. Its easy to use just sprinkle it on his dinner. I also give fish oil as well. You can buy the joint guard on line. For my other lab I just buy human glucosamine/ chondroiten capsules just as a preventative as she has no problems. Mokha also has cartrophen injections from the vet which have been really successful. The combination of the joint guard and cartrophen is working well for him.My vet recommended a product called Glyde but I believe it is quite pricey. I have not bothered because Joint guard seems to be doing the job. I hope you can find something to help, I can not imagine not being able to take the dog to the vet for help. My two love to go.

Plenty of supplements, just try one at a time and see what suits. Fish oil can be great.

If you want to get the dog to the vet and used to the car try crating the dog and going for

short rides at first and then build up. Start by getting a metal crate and putting the dog in it

in the car for one minute and don't start the car. Let the dog out and give plenty of praise and a

nice treat.

Thanks guys, will try the joint guard. Our pup loves the vets and cars, but Diesel hates it, whilst we can walk him there if he REALLY has to go, but we have to carry him up the walkway and into the surgery then again into the consult room so as you can imagine it's stress we'd rather not put on him if we can avoid it as he's then all wound up for the next few days and won't go out the front door, as he thinks he'll be going in the car or walking to the vet! I think it all stems back to his awful but necessary vet trips after his accident, which has left him traumatised and quite frankly I don't blame him! We love him to pieces and want to do the right thing by him with as little stress as possible, but obviously if we notice a dramatic change then he'll be taken off to the vet, but for now I don't think it's needed as it's only a very small change.

How much should we expect to pay for Joint Guard?

I also recommend Joint Guard, Fish Oil Tablets and Cartrophen injections as I have my two older lab boys (12yrs & 14 yrs) on these 3 treatments for their arthritis.

Is there anyway your vet or another vet can do home visits to give your boy the Cartrophen injections. A course of Cartrophen injections is done over a 4 week period, with one injection per week for four weeks and then after that the frequency of these injections can vary depending on the severity of the Arthritis, so can be say monthly, 3monthly, 6 monthly or even annually. My boys get 6 monthly injections and it has made a real difference, particularly to the worst affected boy, my 12 year old who I found abandoned in the pound at 10yrs of age with bad arthritis, very overweight and chronic ear infection. I may swap my boys over to 3monthly injections after their next 6monthly injections as they are getting older now.

Thanks Labsrule. I'll keep a close eye on him the next few days and see if it's worth taking him in. At this stage it's more of a prevention as he's only shown stiffness the past couple of days in the cold. However, with his medical history he doesn't have to be old to have a problem.

I buy my jointguard from clipperworld in cranbourne. I get it cheaper than the above two quotes when I go into the store to buy it. Not sure of the online price but I get the 750gm for under $100

Wow that is unbelievably cheap. Are you sure it is 750gms and not 400gms as I have just checked www.clipperworld.com.au website and the 750gms is $150.00 & 400gms is $73.00 - this pricing doesn't make sense as you would be better off buying 2 x 400gms for $146.00 rather than the 750gms at $150.00 if you were ordering this product online :laugh: .

I dont want to hijack the thread but can someone give me an opinion on VAN Joint Formula, and Joint Guard? Is one better than the other? It appears the VAN is slightly cheaper? Any thoughts?

I buy my jointguard from clipperworld in cranbourne. I get it cheaper than the above two quotes when I go into the store to buy it. Not sure of the online price but I get the 750gm for under $100

Wow that is unbelievably cheap. Are you sure it is 750gms and not 400gms as I have just checked www.clipperworld.com.au website and the 750gms is $150.00 & 400gms is $73.00 - this pricing doesn't make sense as you would be better off buying 2 x 400gms for $146.00 rather than the 750gms at $150.00 if you were ordering this product online :laugh: .

Just checked my last two invoices, remembering I go instore to buy and it is 97.34 + 9.73 GST so 107.07 that was price on 17/6/2010 sorry I had just looked at the product price forgot GST. It is definitely worthwhile me popping in to the store then rather than ordering online. I will keep your links just in case it ever goes up.

Edited by mokhahouse

I vote for high strength fish oil liquid - I give 5ml / day for a 32kg dog. I had him on Jointgard for about 2 years as well as fish oil capsules. After speaking with a human rhuematologist consultant I switched to just the fish oil liquid and I think he is a little better - certainly no worse. He has had 2 courses of cartrophen but I haven't noticed a real improvement with them.

To those who give their dogs fish oil tablets/capsules, hope this isn't a silly question, but do you just give them whole or do you actually break them open? I've never given a dog a capsule-type before (you know, the squishy fish oil type as opposed to any normal tablets) so not sure whether they would normally just eat them?

Thanks!

The first time I gave my dogs Fish opil capsules, one of the dogs spat them out - just because it was something different, and she wasn't sure what they were.

I had to break one open for her, to show her that there was deliciously fishy oil inside....

Now they just chew them up like a treat!

hi there,

Our 11 year old blue cattle dog has arthritis and we had her on weekly cartrophen injections for 4 weeks which really improved her mobility. The vet also reccommended Sashas Blend, but when I was looking around another vet told me about Pernaease powder which is exactly the same but a lot cheaper ($45.40 for 250g). Our girl has 2.7 g every night so it goes a long way.

I hope this helps you and your boy!

As a side note, I've been told that you should always break open capsules for dogs as their gastric juices aren't able to break down the capsule covering.

Cheers!

Lis :rofl:

Edited by Babesmum