Arthritis Prevention?

My fussy GSD won't eat Sasha's Blend or Glyde. JointGuard seems to have the least smell. To be honest, I haven't seen any of them make much difference to him but it makes me feel better if I am at least trying things.

For quite some time he was on Previcox but then he had a bout of diarrhoea that took nearly 6 weeks to clear up. We had to stop giving him his Previcox, and now it seems to upset his tummy even if he gets just 1/2 tablet.

We Use Glyde and cartrophen shots.

I have tried Sashas blend and joint gard and dont know if there is any difference but I use glyde on advise from a vet.

try them all.

Anotner option is Adicell

I had a consult about this and the cost was around $5000 with a 80% success rate.

I would say cartrophen is a must at around $20 a shot your looking at $320 a year if you get it done quarterly which is probably an extreme case but that will still work out cheaper than most of the powders over a year.

Edited by dan76n

One vet told me to go down to local bulk discount chemist and get the glucossomine tablets there for humans. Break tablet in half and give that to dog. Said it is the same stuff as the more expensive dog ones and it is generally cheaper too.

He also said the powders were also mixed with glucose. And sometimes it is not mixed uniformly (can't think of better word right now), so on a teaspoon today you could be giving more glucose, and tomorrow more glucossomine. Whereas with tablet, it is bounded much better and you are giving same dose each time

Edited by Mystiqview

Mine gets Glucosmine tablets, Fish oil tablets and Evening Primrose Tablets. They are just thrown on top of his food and he eats them.

He is also on Pred every second day for spinal arthritis and has Tramal on hand. He gets Cartophen monthly and if you go a week over the month you can tell.

Oh I also give him EsterC as I have been told that this works well to help reduce symptoms.

It must all be helping as he looks better than he did 12 months ago.

My Whippets get half a Glucosimine tablet daily as a preventative.

Atlas is starting on Sashas Blend tomorrow, will have to look into fish oil, can i ask someone, how much fish oil or tablets would you give a 27kg dog?

sorry to Hijack1

According to http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html

"High doses of fish oil (body oil, such as Salmon Oil or EPA oil, not liver oil), as much as 1000 mg per 10 lbs of body weight."

and in http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/feedi...-december-2009/

"Recommended dose is one capsule per 20 lbs of body weight daily. That dose can be increased in certain health conditions and to improve skin and coat."

So from 3 and up to 6 capsules.

I give my GSDx 3, my older Kelpies 2 and my younger Kelpies 1 each day. None of them have any symptoms of arthritis, I'm only using this as a preventative.