Entering A Baby Puppy?

3Woofs

Is it possible to enter a baby puppy in a show before you get the papers back?

I really want to enter a local show that isn't until mid August but entries close in 2 days.

It will probably be another week before I get the papers back from dogsvic though.

I have the microchip no. and the reg. name (if it is accepted), but I obviously don't have the reg. number.

In NSW as far as I am aware, you must have the registration number. If I was you, I would ring the show secretary and find out. They might be happy for you to enter and then ring the ASAP when you get the papers back. You may also find you can enter the show on OzEntries in which you might have more time as they seem to close later. Good luck.

I believe in NSW they will not accept a dog pending registration, if in doubt contact the show secretary.

I know someone who entered a baby puppy as pending registration and in the end had to withdraw the dog (and yes they were from Victoria where is is common to enter a dog before the registration is returned). They received a not so nice phone call from the show secretary :laugh:

If the show is not until mid August, in all likelihood the Show Sec will keep entries open until at least the end of this month. Not that sending in late entries is a good habit to get into of course!

As a Show Manager I will accept a baby puppy entry in good faith as long as confirmed details are received before the catalogue is completed. As others have said, check with the Show Manager.

In 11 years there has not been a State Control that has let us down :)

I had to do this with my newest baby. I wasnt completely sure on the ruling and the lovely sec said it was fine gave me the cutoff date. We were clear on the fact of there was no number by this date she was not eligible.

Good luck with your new baby

Bec

We have often entered in NSW, SA and Vic as number pending. The only condition ever mentioned was that number had to be provided to show secretary before the pup could enter the ring. At one stage we even rang up and had the number quoted to us as the papers didn't return prior to the show. Number was accepted on the day of the show and no issue was made.

Sometimes it depends on the show secretary and what sort of mood they are in at the time.

As far as I'm concerned if you don't have the rego number then don't send the entry form, in NSW secretaries should be sending incomplete entries back to sender...rules are rules!

Baby puppies cannot go into a catalogue without a number. No dog can in fact. I was very interested to note that when I judged in Victoria earlier this month, that not only are half the babies unregistered, but none of the dogs registration numbers were listed in the catalogue.

It really is a state-by-state scenario.

Some States allow you to enter babies as long as the registration application has been submitted to the canine council for processing, others don't.

All I can suggest is that people contact their state controlling body for clarification BEFORE they enter! Don't necessarily take the word of the secretary for it. Just because "they" allow it doesn't mean you can't cop a rap over the knuckles if the controlling body happen to audit the show.

I contacted the Vic KC and got my pups number well before they sent back his papers.

Give them a call and see if it has been processed yet.

I also contacted the show sec before I got the number and asked permission to send an entry in without it.

I was given the OK as long as I could get the number to them before they started typing up the catalog.