Pets For Therapy?

Michelleva

Fox is a registered therapy dog with Paws For Friendship Inc...We visit a nursing home, spending most of our time in the dementia ward...

Fox was born for this job, he's so sweet and calm and kind and gentle and knows just how to react to the different people he meets. He's more animated, with body wiggles and kisses (if the resident wants one!) with the more active people and with those who can't move much, he gently lays his head on their lap or edge of their bed, and will manoeuvre his head under their hand and be content to rest there. From the moment we arrive to the moment we leave, his tail never stops wagging.

The joy and smiles he brings to residents and staff often makes me teary.

post-6062-1278997308_thumb.jpg

Edited by hopenfox

I would love to think Genevieve could be a dog like the ones you are all describing. I guess I will have to wait until she is well past puppyhood! At the moment she would just pee all over whoever she was supposed to be making feel better... somehow I don't think that would win her any brownie points!!

I work afternoons, so usually have my mornings to keep busy. It would be nice to do something like this one morning a week. I like the thought of giving something back to the community... one day that could be me, really sick and frail. And I would like to think someone could take time out of their busy lives to say hello. I'd love to visit sick kids as well....

How do you do it and not go home bawling your eyes out?

I love the banana trick Barb!!! That is sooo cool!

I had a look at the Delta website and the closest accredited trainers are 4 hours away :confused: Is it regular training often or is it a week-long sorta thing?

When we did the training there was just an assessment session and then a seminar--about a half-day long from memory (though might have been a whole day). My dog also loved the work. There seems to be more options for placements if you are available during the week to do visits.

Di

Anyone know if there are similar programs in SA? I wouldn't mind doing it with Spot once we've got the jumping up on people fixed.

Visit the Golden Retriever Club of SA website, http://www.grcsa.org.au, and select the "Caring Canine Companions" Link. You will find info, contact details, application forms etc. The program is run

by the Club under the Federal Government Community Visitor Scheme, and encompasses all dog breeds and cross breeds. You can phone 1800 077 722 as well.

Anyone know if there are similar programs in SA? I wouldn't mind doing it with Spot once we've got the jumping up on people fixed.

Visit the Golden Retriever Club of SA website, http://www.grcsa.org.au, and select the "Caring Canine Companions" Link. You will find info, contact details, application forms etc. The program is run

by the Club under the Federal Government Community Visitor Scheme, and encompasses all dog breeds and cross breeds. You can phone 1800 077 722 as well.

ta furkidsforever

I had a look at the Delta website and the closest accredited trainers are 4 hours away :D Is it regular training often or is it a week-long sorta thing?

You do the assessment (lasts about 10 minutes) and then in Sydney at least, you do a 1-day information session (without your dog) where you pick your preferences. Then once you are placed, how often you do your visits depends on what the facility wants and what you're available to do.

I was wondering if anyone here has a dog that they visit nursing homes, hospitals and the like with? I'm in Victoria SE suburbs and am starting to think my dog could have the potential for doing this kind of work down the track. Georgia is a 6 month old sheltie and still a bit too excitable and jumpy to actually do it now, but she LOVES all people, especially kids.

We're attending dog obedience every week, which we plan to continue. Is there any other training I should be doing to groom her for this type of work. I think she'd love it, and I would too.

What sort of attributes does a dog need to have to do it. Also if anyone knows any organisations in my area that organise this sort of thing, I'd love to know. I'm in the Narre Warren/Berwick area.

You also might like to get in touch with Lort Smith (Vets and Shelter) Pets as therapy coordinator, Ms Lake on as she is responsible for the organising of testing and rosters for Nursing homes, hospitals ect..

I used to do it when it was attached to the Guide Dogs and then Lort Smith, but my girl passed on and my boy is now too old.

pm me if you are interested and I will give you her details

I was wondering if anyone here has a dog that they visit nursing homes, hospitals and the like with? I'm in Victoria SE suburbs and am starting to think my dog could have the potential for doing this kind of work down the track. Georgia is a 6 month old sheltie and still a bit too excitable and jumpy to actually do it now, but she LOVES all people, especially kids.

We're attending dog obedience every week, which we plan to continue. Is there any other training I should be doing to groom her for this type of work. I think she'd love it, and I would too.

What sort of attributes does a dog need to have to do it. Also if anyone knows any organisations in my area that organise this sort of thing, I'd love to know. I'm in the Narre Warren/Berwick area.

You also might like to get in touch with Lort Smith (Vets and Shelter) Pets as therapy coordinator, Ms Lake on as she is responsible for the organising of testing and rosters for Nursing homes, hospitals ect..

I used to do it when it was attached to the Guide Dogs and then Lort Smith, but my girl passed on and my boy is now too old.

pm me if you are interested and I will give you her details

I did try emailing her today, but it bounced back. There is a contact number on the site, so I will give her a call tomorrow.

Someone suggested that Charlie should be one (pre sickness) because he has the right temperament for it and he is really really good with children.

I love Rover and Jedi. At the picnic, I kept sneaking pats and cuddles whenever they were close by :)

Totally helped by the fact that Rover kept edging closer in hopes of treats or pats whenever you where in his vicinity....

and Riddick for that matter! :)

What a fantastic thread :) It has all the info I have been looking for.

I have a rescue foster whom I think would be a wonderful Pets as Therapy dog. He has something very calm and intuitive about him. I actually put him away now when potential adopting families come to visit other dogs in care because he always steals the peoples attention and affection. I could have rehomed him 5+ times but I feel a responsibility for some reason to follow the Pets as Therapy path with him.

I joke and say he should go and live at the Ronald McDonald House but I think he would be just magic for the kids and parents in there. He's the biggest softest hug in the world! Yeah I know.... Im biased :)

Is there an age requirement? Ruger is only 7 months at the moment.

Hi Michelleva! Jess is a Delta Therapy Dog - just started this year and is going really well. We visit a nursing home and it really gives me great feeling each week - many don't want involvement in other activities, but just love having the dog nearby - even if they don't pat her. REally special. With Delta, the dog has to be over 12 months old, which is good as they get a bit more calm as they get older. I will try to have STig accredited when he is older, but he is a bit shy at the moment - Jess grew through that as she got older.

Glad to see there are lots of places where you can do that - Terranik, as a former Keeshond owner - I'm sure Jedi is PERFECT for that work - they are such social and friendly dogs, but not over the top - wish I'd know about it when I had Tali and Jarrah still!

Hi, I have two Newfoundlands and one of my Shar Pei who are accredited as Delta Therapy Dogs and another Shar Pei pup 'in training' :confused:

I've been with Delta for six years now and we visit the kids hospital every Wednesday for ward rounds.

We're also involved with the 'Pet Assisted Therapy' programme at the hospital where the dogs work one on one with kids in their physio sessions - these sessions are at other times during the week depending on patient's appointments.

The highlight of my six years was working with a little brittle bones girl with Sophie one of my Newfies. Over the period of time we worked with her Sophie was involved with helping this little girl to learn to walk. It was awesome to be able to be involved with that family's journey :laugh:

I can't recommend the therapy work highly enough and I'm sure any of you who get involved will find the same :o

If anyone would like any info please feel free to PM me :o

With Delta they have to be between 12 months and 10 years of age.

My girl's over 10 and she's still going - we just have to have annual assessments now, instead of two yearly.

Yeah, but I think you can't enter the program once they've turned 10 years. It's different for existing Delta dogs.