Blood On The Floor But None Of The Dogs Are Injured?

indigirl

Ok.. i jsut found a huge glob of cold blood on the floor, it didnt come from me and none of the animals appear to have an injury or to have been bleeding. I even checked their mouths. None of the girls are in season... ideas anyone??

indigirl, the absolute last thing I wish to do is panic you, cause there may be a miriad of sources and reasons for this blood that could be nothing major... but I will say this. I have had 2 dogs with IMT (Immune mediated thrombocytopaenia) and the first one's visual symptoms started this way. There was one vomit of blood, and I had no idea where it came from. I checked all the dogs' mouths, and there were no signs of anything sinister. The 2nd vomit occurred later that day, and I still missed it, but this time I noticed Ruby was the one with a tiny bit of blood still in her mouth left over from the vomit. Rushed her off to the vet, and after blood tests her disease was diagnosed.

So, just to rule anything similar to this out, may I suggest that you go back to the dogs' mouths and have a closer look. What you are looking for is this... any signs of anemia, as in pale gums or gums lacking most or all note of pink. Having said this some dogs to transiently get pale gums for no reason, so just have a look anyway. Then, whilst in the mouth look along the gum line for any tiny dots that look like pin pricks of blood. Also if the gums look strange, like perhaps swollen.

If you have a thermometer, check the dog's temperature also. If it is low, that is cause for concern.

Then, if all that looks fine, there is a reasonable chance there is no internal bleeding or lack of clotting. If any of these little checks show up something is not right, do not muck around, straight to the vet.

If you are by chance really worried, the next step would be blood tests to check for platelets.

Both my girls presented with different symptoms and both had the same disease.

It is not a common thing, so you would be extremely unlucky for it to be this, but I thought no hurt in sharing my info just to be on the safe side.

I hope it is nothing, and wish you the best.

Good thought, except that when ears bleed, this is usually accompanied with a lot of head shaking, hence the blood would not be in a "huge blob". it would be all over the walls in droplets.

Edited by dyzney

Thanks for your ideas. Will check each dog with a fine tooth comb.

When i said huge, i may have overstated as i was shocked to find it. The glob was approx the size of my thumb nail but it was thick, as in 3D. It wasnt just a smear. I would say it was as thick as two 50cent coins. Very strange as no other blood anywhere.

I also freaked as some of my dogs are iggies and that much blood would mean a decent size hole in a toy sized dog!

When i said huge, i may have overstated as i was shocked to find it. The glob was approx the size of my thumb nail but it was thick, as in 3D. It wasnt just a smear. I would say it was as thick as two 50cent coins. Very strange as no other blood anywhere.

I also freaked as some of my dogs are iggies and that much blood would mean a decent size hole in a toy sized dog!

Not sure where you live but since my house is next to the bush, I often find similar globs of blood on the floor when it rains. The culprit is in all cases a nasty fat leech :winner:

Edited by Odin-Genie

Hope all is OK.

I must admit, I was visualising "huge" as being like a puddle. :winner: Being that size, there is less chance of it being vomit, which is a good sign.

Do you have any entire bitches?

Hope all is OK.

I must admit, I was visualising "huge" as being like a puddle. :winner: Being that size, there is less chance of it being vomit, which is a good sign.

Do you have any entire bitches?

yeah i have 3 - that was the first thing i checked! None are due in and unless they dropped one glob of blood and shut up shop it isnt from the girls being in season lol At the risk of sounding gross the girls have always dripped blood, this wasnt a drip it was a thick glob.

I live in Broken Hill and it rained all yesterday.. wonder if it was a leech? Not sure we even get them out here though, will ask around

Edited by indigirl

Maybe one of them has caught a rat or mouse and that is all that remains of it

ewww maybe.. thats gross but possible. Do mice bleed in bit fat globs tho lol

.. and now ive freaked out everyone in my office asking if we have leeches LOL

ETA Consensus is theres no leeches here BUT I was in Albury/Wagga last weekend, maybe the dogs bought one back with them?? ugh ugh

So if theres blood on the floor does that mean Mr leech is dead or should ie xpect to find him bloodsucking somewhere else soon?

Edited by indigirl

Could anyone have an infected anal gland? Possible bust of an anal gland from scooting maybe? Did u check the nails like I asked before? Are u absolutely sure it's blood? I once panicked that my horse was hurt as there was 'blood' all over his rug..... Turned out to be red tree sap.

Could anyone have an infected anal gland? Possible bust of an anal gland from scooting maybe? Did u check the nails like I asked before? Are u absolutely sure it's blood? I once panicked that my horse was hurt as there was 'blood' all over his rug..... Turned out to be red tree sap.

I checked most of thier nails before work, will check the remainder at lunchtime. Definately blood, i felt it smelled it etc.

You'd be surprised where you find leeches. I've even found baby ones in our shower and wandering around the sullage tank.

No idea where they came from.

One could well have had a ride back, had a good suck in the meantime, and dropped off on the floor.

Edited by noisymina