Idea Weight Through Lifespan Of Gsd's

Hi...

After much stuffing around I figured that someone much brighter than me has the info on the "ideal" wieghts for a male (& female) GSD is throughout its lifetime..

Ive found the American weights but am a little unsure if I convert them to Aussie terminolgy the translation may be lost in the slightly different "variataion" of the breed. And yup = cant spell...

ie

2 mths

4 mths

6 mths

9 mth

1 yr

18mhs

2yrs

Im trying to make a graph so i can plot puppy against it so I can ensure Im (or he) is doing ok health wise.. anal I know - but heck.. tis half the fun.

If anyone has the info handly.. would be greatfull if you could slap it up here or send me a link.

Cheers fellow doggy crew !

A lot depends on the build of the dog, type and lines - my two are half brothers yet one was 11kgs at 8weeks and the other was 7kgs at 8 weeks. My guys are on average 40kgs as an adult for the lighter one and 45kgs for the bigger one, but i know GSD's that are over 50-55kgs and there isn't even a smidge of fat on them.

A lot depends on the build of the dog, type and lines - my two are half brothers yet one was 11kgs at 8weeks and the other was 7kgs at 8 weeks. My guys are on average 40kgs as an adult for the lighter one and 45kgs for the bigger one, but i know GSD's that are over 50-55kgs and there isn't even a smidge of fat on them.

Where as my adult male GSD is 28-32kgs - so there is HEAPS of variation between bloodlines and types. I've got a bitch who weighs 25kg and one who is 30+.

The person who will be able to answer you the most accurately is the breeder of your pup, who will know what is typical for their bloodlines.

You're much better going on the look and feel of your dog in regards to correct weight than a 'graph'. As already mentioned, much will depend on the build and lines of the dog and what is a correct weight for one 6 month old GSD is not necessarily correct for another!

Edited by FHRP

Thankyou for your replies...

Maybe I didn't explain my purpose well enough... There is no way I would reply on a graph as my sole source of information to base choices on - its more a "fun" thing to do for me. Averages are just that - averages.

After all, we do it for children - why not our pets ?

I was just looking for a comparision: something to play with and was hoping that someone out here had done a simular thing to help me with my data. No matter thou..

:thumbsup:

I was just lamenting the fact that I even though I took D to the vet to weight in weekly (and now he just LOVES the vet) for his first 18 months, each time I went in they would delete his old weight. The only records I have are the few times he actually visited the vet and I had to pay something - the weight is on the receipt and because most of those were just for heartworm/wormers I threw them out.

wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your pup!

I think its a good idea.

I did it with my Dane puppy and the Vets went along with it aswel we weighed him weekly as on average he put on two kilos a week for his first six months.

When he reached fifty kgs the Vets actually put it on a graph for me, which was nice of them :laugh:

There is an american based graph for Danes and I just converted it to kgs. Worked well for me!

I was just lamenting the fact that I even though I took D to the vet to weight in weekly (and now he just LOVES the vet) for his first 18 months, each time I went in they would delete his old weight. The only records I have are the few times he actually visited the vet and I had to pay something - the weight is on the receipt and because most of those were just for heartworm/wormers I threw them out.

wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your pup!

well the pics are hard to come by ... as I dont have him yet and he is interstate.. however: this is him at 4 weeks... and what a bugger: you had just what I am looking for :laugh:

post-35197-1279353753_thumb.jpg

I think its a good idea.

I did it with my Dane puppy and the Vets went along with it aswel we weighed him weekly as on average he put on two kilos a week for his first six months.

When he reached fifty kgs the Vets actually put it on a graph for me, which was nice of them :laugh:

There is an american based graph for Danes and I just converted it to kgs. Worked well for me!

Yup, I have a American version here, but was just hoping to make it more Aussie accurate.. minor detail for my purposes thou. Thanks for the comment Raineth

what a cute little pup

OMG!! I do have most of his baby paperwork! He's 7 now and is about 45kg, but he's a tall boy - you can feel his ribs comfortably and when he's wet he looks pathetic.

3 months - 10.2kg (cute!!! his little friend at the moment, a malt x, is only 5kg!)

4 months - 17.7

7 months - 30

9 months - 35.6

14 months - 38.2

15 months - 39.5

19 months - 40

23 months to 4 years 40 - 43.4

I'm just happy that I've found a lot of measurements for him, as others have said you have to go by how your dog is growing and looking to assess if he's at a good weight.

Edited by Vehs

The older GSD ...

4 mths - 19kg

6 mths - 26.5kg

9 mths - 41.3kg

1 yr - 43.4kg (he had been sick so had lost weight - he took a while to pick up his weight again)

18mths - 47.5kg

2yrs - 54.8kg ...

Then he started to fill out and ended up reaching 60kg!!!! He used to range between 55kg and 60kg while he was working but 60 was a good weight for him. He is now about 65kg so he is on a diet.

The youngest GSD is almost 15 months

2 mths - 7.8kg

4 mths - 20.5kg

6 mths - 31.7kg

I stopped recording his weights after that ... I did weigh him weekly but just never recorded them. He is currently 46.8kg .... and on the thin side.

Hi Buggerme

Please note with the chart you are looking at, it is possibly for American line GSD's, or workingline GSD's or it could be for West German Showlines.

If you have questions with regards to weight etc there is a really good GSD forum called GSDWorld you will find a great number of knowledgeable Australian GSD people on there.

Good luck for your new puppy in the future.

Hi Buggerme

Please note with the chart you are looking at, it is possibly for American line GSD's, or workingline GSD's or it could be for West German Showlines.

If you have questions with regards to weight etc there is a really good GSD forum called GSDWorld you will find a great number of knowledgeable Australian GSD people on there.

Good luck for your new puppy in the future.

I knew there were some bloody legends on here !

Thanks to all of the above....

I have a small sized female and she is 16 months old and seems to be sitting consistently on 26.5KG now for the last few months. I go by how she looks and feels though, at the moment I am very happy with her weight, she's lean and I can feel the last few ribs (not the first ones though) she has a thin layer of fat along the ribs and she just looks right to me :o I added more food recently because I didn't like how her hips were quite prominent. It's hard with the long coats too cos their hair hides a lot of their condition! So I brush her a lot and have a good feel to make sure she's sitting nicely :rofl:

38158_473112593205_532948205_6612394_3804292_n.jpg

If anyone thinks otherwise though let me know! Always up for suggestions :rofl:

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

The older GSD ...

4 mths - 19kg

6 mths - 26.5kg

9 mths - 41.3kg

1 yr - 43.4kg (he had been sick so had lost weight - he took a while to pick up his weight again)

18mths - 47.5kg

2yrs - 54.8kg ...

Then he started to fill out and ended up reaching 60kg!!!! He used to range between 55kg and 60kg while he was working but 60 was a good weight for him. He is now about 65kg so he is on a diet.

The youngest GSD is almost 15 months

2 mths - 7.8kg

4 mths - 20.5kg

6 mths - 31.7kg

I stopped recording his weights after that ... I did weigh him weekly but just never recorded them. He is currently 46.8kg .... and on the thin side.

:cry:

They are big gsds. How tall are they Tilly? And i am asking out of curiosity because i dont think i have ever seen a gsd that big

Having seen and smooched Tilly's boofer dogs, they are chunky in proportion large sized GSD's...lol...and not freaky or unusually sized considering the work dogs i see regularly now :laugh: