Akc Welcomes New Breeds

The American Kennel Club® (AKC®) is pleased to welcome the Cane Corso, Icelandic Sheepdog and Leonberger as the 165th, 166th, and 167th AKC recognized breeds. The Icelandic Sheepdog will join the Herding Group while both the Cane Corso and Leonberger will join the Working Group. The new breeds became eligible for AKC registration on June 1, 2010 and are eligible for competition in their respective groups at conformation shows held on and after June 30, 2010.

"These three diverse breeds all share rich and unique histories and a dedicated group of fanciers in the United States," said AKC Spokesperson, Lisa Peterson. "We are delighted to grant them full AKC recognition and watch as each breed continues to thrive and grow."

Good to see the bandog got in but I wonder if it will be their downfall.

Edited by bulldogz4eva

The Cane Corso is a banned breed in Australia.. I wrongly assumed it was already a recognised breed. :mad

Take your dunce's hat off Shmoo!

The Cane Corso is not a banned breed in Australia and is recognised here by the ANKC as the Italian Corso Dog.

Edited by poodlefan

:cry: Icelandic Sheepdog

:rofl: Just watch the spitz people swoon. :cry:

I believe they are like Lappies. We don't have any here afaik.

The breed isn't recognised here at least.

I wish someone would bring the Norweigan Lundehund in. Fascinating dogs!

:cry: Icelandic Sheepdog

:rofl: Just watch the spitz people swoon. :cry:

I believe they are like Lappies. We don't have any here afaik.

The breed isn't recognised here at least.

I believe they're quite rare outside Iceland.

I could add one to my hund collection. :laugh: That's a breed that BADLY needs some careful out-crossing. I know it's controversial, but they are so rare they have their own special disease and they all have it to varying degrees from what I can make out. Who wants a dog that's almost certainly going to have gastrointestinal problems that can't be cured? It's especially tricky because they are so weird, though. Presumably if they bred those traits into a dog type once, they can do it again.

I could add one to my hund collection. :laugh: That's a breed that BADLY needs some careful out-crossing. I know it's controversial, but they are so rare they have their own special disease and they all have it to varying degrees from what I can make out. Who wants a dog that's almost certainly going to have gastrointestinal problems that can't be cured? It's especially tricky because they are so weird, though. Presumably if they bred those traits into a dog type once, they can do it again.

I think they got down to literally a handful of dogs at one stage.

They could probably look to outcross to one of the smaller Scandanavian Spitzs if they wanted to.

Yeah, very small gene pools make me nervous. :laugh: However like all endangered animals, I think revived breeds deserve their chance.

Other breeds have been successfully brought back from the brink with approved outcrosses or even just careful breeding. I hope the Lundehund is another success story down the track.

The breed I'd love to see introduced into Australia & recognised by the AKC would be the Damchi, a breed much loved in Bhutan. Presently the Damchi is not recognised by any Kennel Association.

This small breed is similar to the Tibetan Spaniel only larger. The former King of Bhutan owned a Damchi and the breed has been featured on one of the country’s postage stamps. A few can be found in Germany where a breeder imported the lovely dogs from India but the bloodlines are very thin.

Damchis have a silky top coat which is moderate in length they have a slight mane. They have a curl in the tail which is well feathered. The coat comes in black and white and tri-colour several variations are acceptable.

Aloof with strangers, loyal yet independent. They are highly intelligent, playful and good with children.

This would be a lovely breed to develop...a larger small breed that's mighty handsome & with high intelligence and good nature.

post-3304-1279584743_thumb.jpg