I Think I Bit Off More Than I Can Chew...

FranVT

As long as you are in the returns policy, it doesn't matter if you've used the lens - you said you had all the bits. If you are outside the returns period, it may be some more hassle, but I'd still try nice and calmly.

As for the 35. It's a tough one. I adore my 30mm Sigma and the focal length works for me; I don't know anything about the Nikon 35. BUT I think the 50mm is just more comfortable for a lot of things - and you will have to be closer to fill the frame with the 35 than the 50 and sometimes that can disrupt some action shots.

I don't really want anything I have to be even closer to use. I think I'll have to shell out for the 50 1.4 AF-S. Sigh. I just worry that since technically the lens works, they wont let me return it :laugh:

If they won't let you return it then I would sell it privately or on ebay and buy the one that you want.

But I think if you go in there and kick up enough of a fuss they should let you. It's terrible that no-one explained it would be manual focus only!

I think you'll be fine. Didn't you just buy it a week ago? And you have the receipt? What does their return policy say?

Just go in armed. Know what their policy is. Know what you will say if they say they won't take it back. Be calm. Be clear that you told the salesperson which model you had and that he/she did not inform you of the manual focus nature of this lens. That is a big thing, imho.

I don't expect my salespeople to babysit me, but if I ask for something general - which you did when you didn't specify the model, just said 50mm lens for your particular camera - then it is partly their responsibility to let me know special things about what they are offering - and manual focus only in this day and age of auto everything is definitely a "special thing". You're clearly not a total camera geek if you're using that model body and whoever helped you should have been more on the ball.

Worst case, they won't take it back - ebay it or sell it. Use the money towards the one you want.

Have you checked to see about other lenses on your wish list? If there is a big difference in buying those with the motors, it may be more economical to sell off your camera body and buy a different model. All depends on what you want, though.

If they won't let you return it then I would sell it privately or on ebay and buy the one that you want.

But I think if you go in there and kick up enough of a fuss they should let you. It's terrible that no-one explained it would be manual focus only!

An explanation would have saved me a lot of angst for sure!

I think you'll be fine. Didn't you just buy it a week ago? And you have the receipt? What does their return policy say?

Just go in armed. Know what their policy is. Know what you will say if they say they won't take it back. Be calm. Be clear that you told the salesperson which model you had and that he/she did not inform you of the manual focus nature of this lens. That is a big thing, imho.

I don't expect my salespeople to babysit me, but if I ask for something general - which you did when you didn't specify the model, just said 50mm lens for your particular camera - then it is partly their responsibility to let me know special things about what they are offering - and manual focus only in this day and age of auto everything is definitely a "special thing". You're clearly not a total camera geek if you're using that model body and whoever helped you should have been more on the ball.

Worst case, they won't take it back - ebay it or sell it. Use the money towards the one you want.

Have you checked to see about other lenses on your wish list? If there is a big difference in buying those with the motors, it may be more economical to sell off your camera body and buy a different model. All depends on what you want, though.

I checked the return policy, all good, they refunded me! They agreed that that lens isn't really designed to work with the D5000, tried to sell me the 1.4 AF-S for $799 :D No thanks, I only paid $209 for the 1.8 AF. Bit of a difference though I still do want to buy the AF-S at some point soon! I am definitely going to look at my 'future' lenses and see what the options are for the motor lenses, perhaps consider going to the D90.

I can't thank you all enough for your help, I never would have solved this if not for all of you! :rolleyes:

glad you checked into it and took it back for a refund. I think their sales person needs some training if they admitted it wasn't right for your camera. Now you can put that money towards a suitable lens. ;)

See that's the problem kja - apart from the 50mm AF-S lens I don't know what lenses I'll want in the future! Which is making it hard to research how much money it's going to cost me to have to buy motorised autofocus lenses ;)

I only want to take pics of dogs and people.

Well, you can always sell your stuff if you decide to change. Good used gear should usually sell for 20-30% lower than new (glass). Low end bodies drop like rocks so you might not see much return on that, but just think about it in terms of how much fun you have with it instead of $$ - it will "pay" for itself :laugh:

Good that you got to return it :laugh:

If you are considering upgrading, really, really shop around. I was able to get my D80 twin lens kit for $500 (a month ago). The shop had had it for 12 months with no interest and were willing to burn it to get rid of it (because it had been superseded by the D90).