What Do You Use To Bag Meat?

Ravyk

I am currently using zip lock sandwich bags to bag individual portions in, but finding they tend to leak when defrosting which OH is getting narky about [no idea why, I have the defrosting ones in an ice cream container in the fridge].

Can anyone recommend something better?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently using zip lock sandwich bags to bag individual portions in, but finding they tend to leak when defrosting which OH is getting narky about [no idea why, I have the defrosting ones in an ice cream container in the fridge].

margarine containers?? or small plastic containers. (*i found chinese containers smashed when frozen so do not reccomend these)

margarine containers?? or small plastic containers. (*i found chinese containers smashed when frozen so do not reccomend these)

My other problem is bulkiness, I need to conserve as much room as possible in the freezer. With bags they can be flattened. Plus the meals probably wouldn't fit in marg containers, its done in 300 and 500-600g lots.

Ah yes, had a few accidents with soup frozen in the chinese containers being dropped before they'd been defrosted

Edited by Ravyk

I use them too and find the same thing, so I just put them into a small stainless steel bowl in the fridge for defrosting and when it's time for dinner it all goes in anyway.

I guess you could try those take-away style containers.. They wouldn't leak but it would mean that you'd have to wash them out and re-use them after (which defeats the purpose when you could just put your bag in a bowl and wash that out) or chuck them but that would work out fairly expensive.

eta, why dont you just put your meat bags in the dogs bowl to defrost - then it wont matter if it leaks :laugh:

Edited by SecretKei

My other problem is bulkiness, I need to conserve as much room as possible in the freezer. With bags they can be flattened. Plus the meals probably wouldn't fit in marg containers, its done in 300 and 500-600g lots.

Ah yes, had a few accidents with soup frozen in the chinese containers being dropped before they'd been defrosted

double bag them?? Sorry i tel hubby to suck up the leaking lol but i do have a dog food fridge so not too bad

double bag them?? Sorry i tel hubby to suck up the leaking lol but i do have a dog food fridge so not too bad

I did tell him to suck it up. OMG he went on for ages about how horrible the amount of blood in the container was. I seem to have a pansy OH.

I might try double bagging them with my next lot of 30kgs.

I did tell him to suck it up. OMG he went on for ages about how horrible the amount of blood in the container was. I seem to have a pansy OH.

I might try double bagging them with my next lot of 30kgs.

i wonder if he is related to mine rofl. i was naughty theother day and didn't seperate left in in the bag from the butcher eeeeep the mess in the fridge lol shhhhhhh don't tell hubby

I use freezer bags only coz it's cheaper. I package ours in 1kg lots then when it comes time to defrosting I pull a couple of packs out put them in one of our old esky's which is now officially the dogs :laugh::laugh::love: usually takes a day to defrost. Whateva they don't eat goes in there fridge, for there next meal.

ice cream containers - of course it does mean that every now and then I have to buy 2 or 4 ltr ice cream tubs, much to the dogs consternation and out of consideration for their health I eat it or better still make iced coffees but these are just some of the hardships we dog people put ourselves through for our dogs :laugh::laugh:

annie

this is amazing!!! just this past week i've been wracking my brain trying to think of a better way of freezing my 3's raw brekkie meat!

i use small sandwich bags, the ones that fold over and man, they are bad for leakage which totally irks me [particularly when we're talking offal]!!!

so i too am on the lookout for an alternative --- i have very little freezer space so if i can find a plastic container that takes up just as little space but will still accommodate one meal for 3 mouths, i'd be home and hosed :laugh:

the beauty i think is that i won't have to transfer from a bag to a container in order to slightly heat their food --- i'll reheat straight from the fridge :laugh:

lovin' that idea!

and then of course, there's the offal...

What brand zip lock bags do you use? And do you have an issue with them leaking?

Can't defrost them in the microwave. our microwave is stupid and cooks the meat even on defrost.

Edited by Ravyk

Can't defrost them in the microwave. our microwave is stupid and cooks the meat even on defrost.

ours too!!!

i reheat on defrost 1 minute at a time but the other night i did just 2 cubes of beef for like 30 secs and it practically cooked!!! the dogs loved it!!!

*exasperated*