Airline Crates

Tiggy

I'm getting really frustrated lugging around my heavy wire dog crates. I like the look of soft crates but worry the dogs might get out of them. I noticed people using the plastic airline crates, I'm wondering how much lighter these are than wire crates, and what brand to get, SBT size. Thanks ;) .

Vari Kennels are the one's you are thinking off. They are lighter than most crate but do not fold down. They have their advantages in that you can chuck stuff in them and walk the dog at the same time.

You'd want the large ( not sure what the name of it is ) it's the next one up from the PP40. You can just squeeze a Stafford in a 40 but your man will want the bigger one.

Vari Kennels are the one's you are thinking off. They are lighter than most crate but do not fold down. They have their advantages in that you can chuck stuff in them and walk the dog at the same time.

You'd want the large ( not sure what the name of it is ) it's the next one up from the PP40. You can just squeeze a Stafford in a 40 but your man will want the bigger one.

Thanks ;)

I have a PP40 that I carry around at training, it is a lot lighter and easier to carry than his wire crate that is a similar size. I like that it is more covered than the wire crate, he isn't as exposed in the airline crate.

I agree that you will probably need a bigger size than the PP40, Trixie just fits into it comfortably.

I use a vari with one of my dos and a wire I know exactly what you mean, just check the crate has a handle on them thats a real bummer trying to carry them with no handles, not sure if the ones in Aus have handles but mine sure dont!

Good idea to stop people prodding the dog and for dogs that like the privacy! may get one for myself!

j

The dog shop sells them ,there not cheap for a staffy size & as already said the bigger they are the more room they take & are a pain in the bum to separate every time they go in the car.

I have vari,wire & soft crate but i just use a fold up trolley from Big W to cart them around ,so easy .

The larger vari style crates are just as awkward to carry,they may be lighter BUT there not an easy object to carry about.

I only use the vari for flying,i find they have less room at the bottom & unless you have good bedding many have the bumps at the bottom which aren't comfy to sleep on.

They certainly can get hotter & not all dogs like to be in them

Guest belgian.blue

I have a brand new PP40 looking for a new home. Used once.

Bought from dogtainers to bring Badger over to Perth but ofcourse, he's a big dog now so we don't need it.

I should put it in the for sale section.

We use a soft crate (because I didn't want the cage look), and she can undo the zips. We have to cable tie the zips now if we want to leave her in for long periods... And she has nearly trashed it, scratching and chewing on it!!!!

We will probably at some point upgrade to 'the cage look'.

my boy is in a heavy wire crate with no handle...sux carrying it to agility, he also has a soft light crate, but im not going to move him into that one till he is better behaved at agility...i dont want him destryoing it

my boy is in a heavy wire crate with no handle...sux carrying it to agility, he also has a soft light crate, but im not going to move him into that one till he is better behaved at agility...i dont want him destryoing it

Mine has no handle either :thumbsup: the old ones did.

Mine has no handle either :laugh: the old ones did.

The person who designs a light weight easy to carry ( poss with wheels) non destrutable type crate will be a very well off person!! Be nice if they could incorporate a self folding tent with seats in there too! :thumbsup:

Mine has no handle either :eek: the old ones did.

The person who designs a light weight easy to carry ( poss with wheels) non destrutable type crate will be a very well off person!! Be nice if they could incorporate a self folding tent with seats in there too! :rofl:

:rofl:

Add to that a SBT size crate - wide but not tall :eek: