Pregnant Lab Girl Found!

t-time

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens time and again, someone finds a stray, assumes it's not been cared for, has an irresponsible owner and decides to keep it, surrender it to a rescue or otherwise dispose of a dog that is not legally theirs.

Call the pound, follow the appropriate legislation ( that will allow the dog to be reunited with it's owner ) and when the time is up, THEN decisions can be made about the bitch and her future.

It may be that the council takes details and the time can be served in someone's home or they may request that she be impounded. If impounding is what is required, then someone can put their name on her and pick her up when her time is up.

What you do not do is find a stray, keep it in your own yard, ship it across the country or illegally surrender it to a rescue, because you think it might be better off.

She needs to go to the pound and serve her time. That is a legal requirement. If she were my dog and sopmeone didn't hand her in I'd be furious. The pound will not put her down until she has served her time - that is a legal requirement. Someone can put her name against her.

Then, once she has served her time, someone can spring her from the pound. She is then legally their dog and they can do whatever they want with her and the pups.

It is very simple really - similar scenarios happen in rescue every day :thumbsup:

But T-time is saying the pound will NOT take her and will put her down and that they can not do anything.

T-Time - Maybe contact other pounds in the area and not the RSPCA. After her time is up and if she hasnt been found collect her and then figure out what can be done.

PM me if you need any help T-time.

ETA: Where was she found?

ETA again: I can tell you right now ellz motive was not money purely the fact a very young bitch needs help.... :)

Really?

Which council pound has stopped taking dogs for the required holding period?

then whos are they? an unchipped dog at that age... irresponsible owner much. what are the options? ill outline them for you.

1. The dog stays at the pound and is put down.

2. The irresponsible owner comes by (who, in my opinion, because they're an irresponsible owner shouldn't be allowed to own a dog), takes the dog back, has the puppies, sells them. Who knows what happens to the bitch.

3. Ellz takes the bitch, looks after her, looks after the puppies until they are old enough to go to new homes and them homes them (whether they are sold or not is irrelivant - I think that ellz should AT LEAST recoup the money spent on homing them).

4. The pound gives her over to another organization that will sell her and the puppies or does it themselves.

5. Someone from the pound will take her home (and then who the hell knows whats going to happen).

Ellz offer to take her would only be valid AFTER the period of time has gone where the owner is able to collect her. After that time is up, she is nobodies and will, if what the finder was told is true, be put down.

Who cares what Ellz's motives are. Maybe a young bitch is appealing? Maybe she (i'm assuming you're female for some reason) doesn't want to take on an old dog. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. The alternative is potentially death. Far out, I really dont udnerstand your thought process here Greytmate.

You are making a big assumption about the owner of this dog. We know nothing about them or why the dog is pregnant.

The person that started this thread has already told us what the pound allegedly told the finders, and I have questioned that. There was no mention of any attempt to work with council so that the dog could be legally transferred to new owners, just a request for somebody to take the dog.

People buying dogs and pups have a right to buy animals without any risk that the legal owner could turn up and take them away.

It is wrong to take and sell things that don't belong to you. Regardless of how caring you think you are.

The assumption im making is based on observation. How can you argue that a RESPONSIBLE OWNER firstly not microchip their dog, and secondly allow to get pregnant at such a young age? I think those two points there are reason enough to assume that the owner is irresponsible.

I don't think its a case of whether the pound will take her or not AT ALL, but that they wont try and re-home her after her time is up. If it is a case of they wont take her at all, I dont think they're allowed to do that, and either way, go to a neighboring area's pound and drop her off. leave details and say if the owner doesn't come to get her to contact and that she'll be picked up by someone responsible.

Ok, i think some things have been miscommunicated. I dont think the offer was to ever just have her shipped to Tas without the owner getting an opportunity to recover their dog (however irrisponsible I think they are). I think the idea was for the owner to have the chance (whether the dog is in the pound or not doesn't make much difference so long as they have the contact details of whoever is housing her for that 7 day period) **I dont know the legality of that specifically, but I assume that it wouldnt be a problem so long as they were contactable.

The "finder" has contacted the pound who says they will put her down; RSPCA reckons they can't do anything WTF???!! :)

I have quoted it for you Greytmate you know about as much as I do.... people seem to be missing this bit

I didn't miss it, it was the first thing I questioned.

I want to know which council has allegedly stopped impounding strays and is ok with finders keeping them. Does that apply to all animals including large livestock? Or do they have a special policy just for pregnant young dogs?

I think it is extremely sad an 8 month old puppy is pregnant. It seems very irresponsible of the "owner", and to me this story doesn't add up!

- If the puppy got out - it has to have been out a while to be pregnant enough to know the bitch is in whelp - where are the posters, notices in newspapers etc? Why haven't local vets been contacted, pounds etc? The owners don't seem to be searching hard enough for this puppy! I have been in this situation and I didn't leave a rock unturned.

- Very likely the bitch could be pregnant because the owners mated her? Now that would be very cruel considering she is only 8 months.

- I would highly doubt she is stollen.

It is a very sad story regardless of how this occur, the poor Lab has lost her innocence of being a puppy. I am sure she is very scared and unsure of what is going on. It is a shame there is no microchip. I just hope the best for this pup and Ellz I can see your offer is genuine and only have the Puppy and her puppies best interests at heart.

I think Dory the Doted One made some very good points, to give the owner the beneifit of the doubt, hopefully someone can take her in, contact the pound and let them know where she is. In advertsing she is lost I would not say she is pregnant it may attract people who will think $$$ and not actually own the dog.

then whos are they? an unchipped dog at that age... irresponsible owner much. what are the options? ill outline them for you.

1. The dog stays at the pound and is put down.

2. The irresponsible owner comes by (who, in my opinion, because they're an irresponsible owner shouldn't be allowed to own a dog), takes the dog back, has the puppies, sells them. Who knows what happens to the bitch.

3. Ellz takes the bitch, looks after her, looks after the puppies until they are old enough to go to new homes and them homes them (whether they are sold or not is irrelivant - I think that ellz should AT LEAST recoup the money spent on homing them).

4. The pound gives her over to another organization that will sell her and the puppies or does it themselves.

5. Someone from the pound will take her home (and then who the hell knows whats going to happen).

Ellz offer to take her would only be valid AFTER the period of time has gone where the owner is able to collect her. After that time is up, she is nobodies and will, if what the finder was told is true, be put down.

Who cares what Ellz's motives are. Maybe a young bitch is appealing? Maybe she (i'm assuming you're female for some reason) doesn't want to take on an old dog. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. The alternative is potentially death. Far out, I really dont udnerstand your thought process here Greytmate.

You are making a big assumption about the owner of this dog. We know nothing about them or why the dog is pregnant.

The person that started this thread has already told us what the pound allegedly told the finders, and I have questioned that. There was no mention of any attempt to work with council so that the dog could be legally transferred to new owners, just a request for somebody to take the dog.

People buying dogs and pups have a right to buy animals without any risk that the legal owner could turn up and take them away.

It is wrong to take and sell things that don't belong to you. Regardless of how caring you think you are.

The assumption im making is based on observation. How can you argue that a RESPONSIBLE OWNER firstly not microchip their dog, and secondly allow to get pregnant at such a young age? I think those two points there are reason enough to assume that the owner is irresponsible.

Perhaps the dog is microchipped, but the chip has moved and whoever scanned the dog was unable to find it - it happens.

Also, what if the dog has been missing for months, and has become pregnant while lost? She had her first heat and jumped the fence, becoming pregnant to another stray. All sorts of scenarios are possible!!

The "finder" has contacted the pound who says they will put her down; RSPCA reckons they can't do anything WTF???!! :)

I have quoted it for you Greytmate you know about as much as I do.... people seem to be missing this bit

I didn't miss it, it was the first thing I questioned.

I want to know which council has allegedly stopped impounding strays and is ok with finders keeping them. Does that apply to all animals including large livestock? Or do they have a special policy just for pregnant young dogs?

I think its probably just the RSPCA :thumbsup:

Like I said before try out other pounds post her on the lost n found section of the RSPCA website which is actually pretty good.

Some people will wait to microchip the dog at the time of desexing. If the dog was stolen before it was desexed, and it's owners were waiting that would explain the lack of microchip.

Geez, I've known people who didn't know their bitch was in season until she was pregnant. And they were NOT bad owners. A little uneducated, but not bad owners.

We are all getting this information third hand. None of us has the true facts. So doing it the legal way should be the only way. Not because we don't give a rats, but because it is the LAW. If we aren't following the law then WE are the irresponsible ones, especially if we do not have the full facts.

I'm not questioning anyone's motives.

But having witnessed the return of someone's dog that had been stolen, picked up then rehome via a welfare org, the new home had it vet checked discovered it was chipped so FORTUNATELY the new owners contacted the original owners and gave them back their dogs.

A lot of assumption made in that case, too. None of it correct in the end. But because someone down the line did the right thing, the best outcome eventuated.

More assumptions about the age and chipping. How long has QLD had mandatory chipping now ?

Just over a year officially. But the law was rushed in before councils and others had a chipping procedure in place. There was also confusion and a later amendment about pups being chipped before 8 weeks. It is conceivable that a dog of this age may have missed being chipped by the breeder, and forgotten to be chipped by the buyer.

I can see why the RSPCA can't take her o rdo anything, they sometimes have a quota of pergnant animals/ litters of puppies that they can keep. I don't understand why the council will put her down immediately. That is against the law. I am doubtful that any council would actually do this. Perhaps we need to hear the whole story from the finder themselves?

FORGOTTEN TO BE CHIPPED? Give me a break. Its one of the first things I and my family does when getting a new dog. If you dont want your dog lost, then make sure every step is taken to prevent it, and if it is lost, you had better have taken every step to make sure you get them back.

I can see why the RSPCA can't take her o rdo anything, they sometimes have a quota of pergnant animals/ litters of puppies that they can keep. I don't understand why the council will put her down immediately. That is against the law. I am doubtful that any council would actually do this. Perhaps we need to hear the whole story from the finder themselves?

I have a feeling that the council didnt mean that they would put her down IMMEDIATELY, but that that would be her fate if she wasn't recovered (and they probably assumed that a dog of that age being pregnant and not microchipped (assuming of course that the chip hasn't moved to the tip of its tail -_-) wouldnt be recovered by its owner)

Hey Ellz

Just wanted to say I could see exactly where you were coming from and I don't think you should feel bad about offering to help this dog IF NEEDED!!! Quite the opposite.

I could see you weren't suggesting they immediately send the dog to you without doing anything else but rather that if it came to it, and there was no other better solution, that you were offering to help. It seemed to me to have come from a genuine place of concern for the welfare of this poor puppy.

I'm not sure why it got turned around like it did - perhaps it's just an internet thing.....

ETA - I agree that there could be a lot of reasons why an owner would want this dog back and may not have been responsible for what happened. I hope you're right Joel - it seems odd that any RSPCA would just immediately pts sleep a young dog like this. I sure hope it turns out well for this poor girl.

Edited by spottychick